Weddings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessica_Morris

Senior Cook
So me and my boyfriend are planning to get married next year. And we are trying to decide if we want to have something catered in or have family cook. If you were too cook for a wedding what would you cook? It's a beach wedding and we will have to haul food to the destination.

I witnessed a beach wedding reception where the costs were kept down very, very low, and the food was great. Instead of using a caterer, or having family cater the wedding, it was a pot-luck affair. Everyone was asked to bring something nice, whether it was liquid refreshment, or food. Since it was a wedding, the food brought was of good quality.

If you like this idea, create a sign up sheet with categories, such as appetizer, main course, side course, desert, beverages. That way, all categories are covered, and you can set a time limit for your invited guests to respond. You will know ahead of time what will be brought, and if there is anything missing.

I catered both of my daughter's weddings. It was both expensive, and time consuming, a lot of work. But for my daughters, I would of course do it again, without hesitation.

The oldest daughter had a meal. The younger daughter had a huge desert bar, with loads of pastries.

I do insist on one thing different at any wedding I cater, that is the newly married couple gets something a bit on the extravagant side for their meal. It's there special day, and their food should be above what is served to the guests, even if the guests are served great food. The newlyweds should get the best that can be had by whoever is in charge of the meal. But, that's just my humble opinion.

Making the meal pot luck, allows the newlyweds to spend money on items they will need to set up their new home, prepare for children, things that are meaningful for a lifetime, instead of shelling out thousands of dollars for an evening party.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

By having your guests contribute some of the food, it gives them the opportunity to be participants in the wedding instead of just observers.

And congrats on your forthcoming nuptials. :angel:

I think the Chief is on the right track, go potluck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Put everyone at ease, relax enjoy yourselves.

Remember to provide a place for folks to change from weeding duds into bathing suits and shorts!

If you do cook, I would keep it simple draft beer, burgers, hot dogs and a couple of salads!

How about a Sunrise Beach Wedding and serve a breakfast or brunch for the reception! The food is a lot less expensive than dinner foods.

Have stations, like an omelet station, pancake/waffle/frenchtoast station, freshfruit station, and a station that serves a signature drink or two like Mimosas (orange juice and champagne) and Bloody Marys instead of an open bar. Guests serve themselves.

If there isn't electricity then, instead of an omelet station have 3 covered sterno chafing dishes (food warmers) of sausage-egg casserole, roasted-potato-onions-bellpeppers, and rolled crepe-suzettes.

Have your wedding on a Friday because Saturdays or more expensive...and then negotiate a discounted price if using caterers. Try to keep your guest list under 50.

Last edited:
Depending on where your beach is, an old fashioned clam bake sounds like fun! Have never been to one, mind you, but it does sound fun.

DH and I got married on a beach on Maui by a JOP, with witnesses we met from hotel poolside the day before. My mom later threw a backyard reception for us back home for friends and family, with wedding cake and all sorts of salads and desserts. We saved tons of money as we were able to fly to Hawaii on mileage points.

I've done both catered (mine) and cooked (for my sister). I'd go for catered. You'll have enough other things to do that I'd turn that over to someone else. Depending on what area you are in for the beach, you may be able to find someone where the wedding will take place to cater. I recently attended a beach wedding (last weekend) in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. The couple are from Cleveland and nearly all the guests (except for us) live in Ohio. They rented a house on the beach. Had the ceremony on the beach and the reception at the house afterwards. They found a local caterer to do the meal. It was great. Relaxed. Beautiful, and fun.

I think it depends on who will be available to help. The bride can't be saying "I do" while she tending to food for the guests. I like the idea of a beach wedding and a catered meal back at the beach house. Even that will depend on how far from home is the beach and if there is house available. Some people don't do destination weddings so maybe the crowd won't be a large as it would be at home.

So me and my boyfriend are planning to get married next year. And we are trying to decide if we want to have something catered in or have family cook. If you were too cook for a wedding what would you cook? It's a beach wedding and we will have to haul food to the destination.

Congrats in advance.

Personally, I would go with a caterer - Less stress, worrying about freezer space, food safety (holding & transporting food at safe temps.). If guests bring food, they can't keep it in their cars until after the ceremony.

Or, I would try to pick some dishes that can be served cold - Gazpacho in small cups, poached salmon in sour cream & dill sauce, appetizers like stuffed cucumbers, caesar salad.

Or, go with a chinese restaurant that will cook large trays in advance (to reheat). For the beach, I might go with ribs, fried rice with fresh pineapple, chicken skewers w/ peanut dipping sauce, pork/chicken veg potstickers. Mangos, kiwi, fresh fruit skewers.

Or, if it's close to this time of year, stock up on turkeys & hams. Make all the sides (think Thajnksgiving) the day before.

Or, go Italian - antipasti, lasagna, italian bread, mini tiramisus

Or, budget friendly - 2 pasta dishes to choose from - one alfredo and one bolognese.

Or, simple - chicken marsala w/ mushrooms & risotto or pasta & Caesar salad.

Or, Low country boil. Everything can be made in one pot.

Or, Beouf Bourguignon - one pot dish.

Individual beef wellingtons or salmon wellington (salmon in puff pastry).

ETA: I would check if any guests have food allergies or restrictions.

Last edited:
jabbur, that sounds perfect! How many guests attended? Did they all stay at the house that was rented?

There were about 25 people. The bridal party and immediate family stayed at the rented house (9 bedrooms on 3 floors with an elevator!) and some others stayed at cottages in the near by town. Since it is only a 2 hour drive from our home we just went for the day and drove home that night. It was very nice.

Thank you, jabber. I was wondering because we live 2 hours from the NC shoreline too (but 3-4 hours from the outer banks) and my daughter wants a beach wedding as well.

Back
Top Bottom