Well its offical I'm in charge of Thanksgiving Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You all are amazing....I knew you would come through. Thanks Lifter for your kind words. Yes this year will be difficult but at least we will all be together. Last years Thanksgiving was spent at the hospital. The cafeteria provided the food and a room for all the family to eat in and we took mom down in a geri-chair it wasn't a Thanksgiving I care to remember. Mom always fixed the turkey in the oven with oyster dressing, plus another dish of extra dressing because it was my favorite. Candied Sweet potatoes with Marshmellows, Chicken Noodles and Mashed potatoes, Deviled Eggs, Green Beans, Scalloped Corn, Cranberry Sauce, Rolls, Relish Tray, Pumpkin Pies, Chocolate Pies....the grandkids favorite, and Apple Pie. When my brother was alive she'd fix him Lemon Merique Pie and set me aside a dish of the lemon pudding because I didn't care for the Merique. She was the most awesome cook..........everyone raved about her cooking. Thanks again everyone for your recipes and thoughts. No matter if she's not here with us in human form I know she's here in spirit.

hiya sizzlin, so sorry for your loss. i'm sure your mom is happy you are taking over the reins.....

please post a follow up so we can hear how everything went, ok????

Hey Sizz...

You have to remember what your Mom would want for you...and that would mean that she would not want you grieving any overdue time...

As long as those recipes/ideas/traditions are there in the family, while you all are offering the prayers, and looking up, trust me, she is there, smiling, and in this case, just "looking down", but there "with you" just the same as always...

And, as ever, just remember the "good ones", and forget any "bad ones"...your Mom would have been quick to jump on this issue, and she'd be right! Reinforce good memories rather than bad ones!

Sorry to have provided you with a Canuck recipe for turkey stuffing (no matter how good! Try mincing up walnuts and adding to this...we don't do those oysters quite so well...but you might mind the advice that a good deal of it can, in fact be done ahead of time, that you don't rip yourself up on the day...

Funny... I've always disliked lemon merengue pie, too, and my sisters were in love with it, not that I'd have thanked anyone for the pudding, but pumpkin pie is one where I do have to hold myself in check from overeating...and likewise Apple Pie!

The Task Slot is open for you to become the next Matriarch of the Family, and your Mom would love that you carry on in her Tradition!

Lifter

Thanks Lifter again for your kind words/thoughts....you are right because she told me while I cared for her to remember the good times and I will always treasure them.........your stuffing sounds delicious and I would love to share it with my family this year.

Sizz - I know this is not going to be easy ... especially the first time ... but here are some things that I found that helped me.

Make out a menu first! Then make out your shopping list. Do your shopping on Sunday or Monday.

On Tuesday - begin prepping what you can (onions, cellery, etc.) and make the pie dough.

Wednesday - bake the pies and assemble as many dishes as you can ... dressing, cassaroles, par boil your sweet potatoes, etc.

Thursday - roast the bird and finish the cooking.

Yesterday I got an offer I cannot refuse. My daughter's future inlaws invited us to their home and we got together yesterday for pizza, beer and a game to discuss the situation. The mother said "I hate to cook and I understand you love to cook and are an awesome cook, so hear this, I will buy all the groceries for the dinner if you will cook it." What could I say.......I am totally blown away. Guess my daughter has really bragged about me, and she is telling me what should be cooked - my vegetarian daughter telling me about the turkey dinner. :LOL: The mothers significant other is a vegetarian as well so I will be cooking for the for the rest of the carnivours.

Roast turkey with stuffing with sage and marjoram and gravy
Tofurkey roll ups with dressing and gravy from No-Chicken Stock
Roast acorn squash w/wild rice, pecans, pine nuts, celery, onions
Mashed potatoes seasoned with buttermilk and chives
Baby carrots & brussel sprouts w/Dijon (w/seeds) butter sauce
Baby peas w/pearl onions in cheese cream sauce
Cranberry=orange sauce with cinnamon sticks and whole cloves
Homemade cloverleaf rolls with roasted sesame seeds
Pies what ever she buys as I am not a pastry cook

DUCKS WIN 16STANFORD 13 It was a very good and tight game.

Norgeskog, what a compliment! You bet your daughter has been bragging on you -- that's obvious!! Your menu makes my mouth water, and the kind generosity of the future inlaws was heart-warming, too!

May this be the beginning of many, many years of fun gatherings between your families!!!

And give the daughter an extra-loud kiss on her gracious cheek, will ya? ;)

Audeo said:
Norgeskog, what a compliment! You bet your daughter has been bragging on you -- that's obvious!! Your menu makes my mouth water, and the kind generosity of the future inlaws was heart-warming, too!

May this be the beginning of many, many years of fun gatherings between your families!!!

And give the daughter an extra-loud kiss on her gracious cheek, will ya? ;)

Thanks audio and the rest of you. The future inlaws are absolutely sweet and warm people with good outlooks and attitudes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom