"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 01-11-2011, 03:53 AM   #1
Senior Cook

What about S.Valentine's Day?

Happy new year to everybody, I hope Xmas holidays went ok and Santa brought you wgat you wanted!
I'm now curious about this: how many of you are going to plan something for S.Valentine's day? Are you going to restaurant or stay at home preparing a lovely dinner?
Greetings from Italy, Simona!

Old 01-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
Senior Cook

It is my husband and my first married Valentines day, I am not exactly sure what to do to make it extra special. I was thinking on making dinner at home, but the thought of getting dressed up and going out is very appealing. We will have to see what our budget allows.

Here are the things we have done in the past:

For our first Valentines day, we had only been dating a few months. He planned this scavenger hunt all through our college. What he didn't expect was the blizzard that came and shut the school down, before I could do the hunt. He had to give me my prize on valentines day and then find something else for the scavenger hunt when things were finally opened up about 3 days later. It was great! I really enjoyed the fun nature of it and we played in the snow for hours!

The next year, he planned a dinner in. He got a key to my house from my mom and decorated the dining room in candles, a nice dinner, he had music playing, it was so lovely! We spent the rest of the night dancing!

Last year, we went to a murder mystery dinner on valentines day. It was really fun. My husband and I had just found our home, and he was moving in at the time with me to follow after the wedding.

I'm not sure if it was that weekend or the one after, but we didn't have a kitchen table, and I made dinner and we ate it on our "table" made of empty boxes. I dressed them up with a bed sheet and placed some candles and flowers on the "table" a bottle of wine near by (it was too heavy to support!). I don't remember what I made, but I was so happy to be getting married in a few months and sharing this special meal with the man I loved, even if we were sitting on the floor with a cardboard box table.

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Cupcake

I love romance and love Valentine's Day. Unsure what the plans will be. It's one of my favorite holidays of the year and always has been.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It has always been Shrek's responsibility to plan Valentine's Day and our Anniversary. I am always pleased and surprised.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:34 AM   #5
Executive Chef

This year is our 11th wedding anniversary.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:34 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

we used to go skiing whenever valentine's day fell on or near a weekend. a day of skifahren gehen, then dinner in a fauncy restaurant. usually accompanied by a piece of jewelry.

but those days are over. now it's just a gift (dw's getting a ipod nano) and maybe a dinner out. probably korean bbq.

i'm lucky if we stay awake long enough for nookie, lol.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
Senior Cook

@betterthanabox: it sounds very romantic!!! It's funny when you are just married and you still have no furnioture at home! I remeber that I had for several months the tv box next to the bed instead of furniture, eheh!

@KathleenA: I'm collecting some ideas, decorations too (have a look on my blog, I found really nice picture through the web..tomorrow I'm posting them!)

@PrincessFiona60: you're lucky! Italian men are not so ..it's generally up to women to organize something!

@Bolas De Fraile: COMPLIMENTS!!! And happy Anniversary !!!

@buckytom: One of my dearest friend married on the 14th February and she had her honeymoon in Austria, 'skifahren'!!! :-)))
Old 01-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

On Valentines Day we have just returned from our two week vacation and are pretty much done wit eating out and 'celebrating'.

For us it's a nice quiet dinner for to. Maybe a nice steak or roast, a bottle of wine and a fire in the fireplace.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:58 AM   #9
Senior Cook

During these days I searched some ideas on the web and found cute decorations for table and cakes. I post the link of my blog's page where I summerize them:

Simona'sKitchen: S.Valentine

maybe you like :-)
Old 01-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
Flour Child

Simona, that's an impressive blog.
...very special with the Valentine's Day inspirations

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote