"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
View Poll Results: For St. Patrick's Day dinner, do you make corned beef and cabbage or something else?
Corned beef and cabbage 5 45.45%
Something else (please specify) 6 54.55%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2016, 03:58 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Two years ago I put together an entire St. Patrick's Day brunch in the Amoretti Test Kitchen, ALL BY MYSELF! I am still recovering, and because I am not even Irish. I will never, ever do that again!

Saint Patrick’s Day is a very important holiday to everyone who is Irish or of Irish decent, who thinks they’re Irish or of Irish decent, wishes they were of Irish decent, or is just looking for an excuse to eat and drink to excess. We are here to accommodate these people.

The Amoretti Test Kitchens is proud to present the Saint Patrick’s Day Brunch, featuring everything you could possibly want to make you get into the spirit of Saint Patrick’s Day. A selection of exotic elixirs, traditional meats, eggs, pancakes, and breads that would make up a typical Irish brunch, if the Irish were inclined to prepare a brunch, will be presented for your eating and drinking pleasure. Of course, because this is a Saint Patrick’s Day brunch, a good number of the typical Irish menu items that are not normally green, will be green. Fear not, like everything at Amoretti the green color is created with natural products and will in no way detract from the flavor or wholesomeness of these items, but it will tend to make things interesting. So eat, drink and be merry, it’s a Saint Patrick’s Day Brunch.

The Menu

Appetizers

Fruit Salad
Avocado Dip
Spinach & Artichoke Dip
Multigrain Tortilla Chips

Entrees

Spinach Pancakes
Saint Patrick’s Day Eggs
Corned Beef & Cabbage

Sides

Tart Apple Irish Soda Bread
Corned Beef Hash
Back Bacon
Bangers

Beverages

Irish Cream Coffee
Irish Breakfast Tea
Cucumber Sangria
Orange Juice & Curaçao cocktail

Old 03-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #12
Master Chef

Corned beef and cabbage dinner but braised rather than boiled, and it'll be over the weekend. Looking forward to the Reubens and corned beef hash almost more than the original dinner itself.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:59 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Yummmm Sir Loin. This was like an Irish Smorgasbord. And I see you can serve guacamole if you call it a Dip. Wait'll I tell Dx this tidbit of good news.

I know one year we made a Guinness Lamb stew, that was different and good, with a bit of prep work.

I mentioned earlier this week we are going out for corn beef and cabbage for lunch after St Paddy's day parade. Because that is what we discussed. Now she's moaning about not having her favorite , a reuben sandwich, which I presume she might order instead. However, CB's are on sale at the market and if I can find a reasonable size, I think we could make one this weekend and have a repeat dinner that can't be beat and leftovers for reubens too. Nevermind the DC poll, I'll see if we can vote this up.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:46 AM   #14
Executive Chef

"BBQ" shrimp and biscuits.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:51 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Nothing planned. I usually get home around 6:45 so it is usually something quick. I may just stop at the local and have a few Guinness for supper...
Old 03-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Braised Corned Beef, stir fried shredded cabbage, colcannon with a Guinness and onion gravy. Strawberries and cream for dessert.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:35 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Not being Irish (the nearest I got was a great grandmother called O'Brien) I won't be doing anything special. However, I'll be in a hurry tonight so I think it will be corned beef hash. I may be blackballed from DC for this but I'll be using a can of Fray Bentos corned beef and a can of potatoes among other ingredients - oh, the shame!
Old 03-17-2016, 09:37 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

In all my 65 years, including some in N.Ireland, I've never heard of 'corned beef and cabbage', let alone try it. From what I recall, although St Patrick's day was a public holiday, it wasn't even celebrated.

As for traditional food, well that had to be the cholesterol rich, artery hardening, heart attack on a plate "Ulster fry". There was also "Irish stew" or perhaps "Champ".

You could follow it with an 'Irish coffee' which was (allegedly) invented to warm up trans-Atlantic air passengers arriving in Ireland by Pan-Am flying boat.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:12 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Lightning View Post
In all my 65 years, including some in N.Ireland, I've never heard of 'corned beef and cabbage', let alone try it. From what I recall, although St Patrick's day was a public holiday, it wasn't even celebrated.
That's why I called it Irish-American It became popular here among Irish immigrants. I imagine celebrating a holiday with an Irish connection was a way of expressing one's culture and remembering the old country.

Over time, and with copious advertising, Mardi Gras, St. Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, etc., have become popular with everyone, Catholic or not. We have to find something to celebrate at least once a month, right?
Old 03-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That's why I called it Irish-American It became popular here among Irish immigrants. I imagine celebrating a holiday with an Irish connection was a way of expressing one's culture and remembering the old country.

Over time, and with copious advertising, Mardi Gras, St. Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, etc., have become popular with everyone, Catholic or not. We have to find something to celebrate at least once a month, right?
Don't forget Cinco de Mayo!