"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
View Poll Results: For St. Patrick's Day dinner, do you make corned beef and cabbage or something else?
Corned beef and cabbage 5 45.45%
Something else (please specify) 6 54.55%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2016, 12:00 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

What are you making for St. Patrick's Day? 3/17/2016

Heretical statement ahead: I do not like corned beef or cooked cabbage, so I do not make these Irish-American dishes for St. Patrick's Day. Instead, I look to my Irish ancestors for inspiration. I will be making pan-seared, herb-crusted lamb chops and boxty, the Irish potato pancake. I'll figure out something green, but not cabbage What about you?

Old 03-16-2016, 12:14 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Traditional New England Boiled Dinner. I bought two good-sized corned beefs at Costco, one for the freezer. I'm already looking forward to the reuben sandwiches.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

DH likes Reubens, too, so I'm going to get some corned beef from the specialty butcher for him for sandwiches, but since I'm the primary cook, I can make something else for dinner
Old 03-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I won't get on my soapbox about how corned beef & cabbage isn't Irish - you all know that, I'm sure. But I really don't like boiled dinner. It just tastes so - boiled.

I think I'm going to braise some lamb shanks in whiskey, served with colcannon and rutabaga. Now that's Irish!
Old 03-16-2016, 01:24 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
I won't get on my soapbox about how corned beef & cabbage isn't Irish - you all know that, I'm sure. But I really don't like boiled dinner. It just tastes so - boiled.

I think I'm going to braise some lamb shanks in whiskey, served with colcannon and rutabaga. Now that's Irish!
+1!!!
Old 03-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #6
Master Chef

Ha, I had an uncooked CB in the freezer from last year, so it's time to use it. I don't like using a crock pot for it, but I will tomorrow as we'll be baby sitting little Cheyenne tomorrow at her house.
I think I've had corned beef and cabbage every single St. Paddy's day of my long life, so I'm a little superstitious about changing now.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
I won't get on my soapbox about how corned beef & cabbage isn't Irish - you all know that, I'm sure...

Yes, I know that, but it has become an American (or at least a New England) tradition so I cook it because I love the corned beef.

But this is not an uncommon occurrence. There are many dishes that are not common in their countries of origin (real or imagined) that have become fixtures here. Chop Suey, spaghetti and meatballs (served together), corned beef and cabbage boiled dinner, to name a few.

That said, your lamb shank dinner sounds great (except for the rutabaga ). Are you using Irish whisky?
Old 03-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
Wine Guy

I'm going with the old standby corned beef and cabbage (I happen to love cabbage in all forms), and this is the only time of year I ever eat corned beef.

I realize it's not Irish, but neither am I.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:15 PM   #9
Master Chef

Guess half my family was not aware it wasn't "authentic" to eat this on St. Paddy's day, although they came from County Mayo. That's good enough for me.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:20 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Not a dang thing. I have no appetite to eat a big meal. And I made a corn beef this past Sunday.