What Are Your Best Dishes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arky

Senior Cook
For those of us who have been cooking for while, we often develop one, two or perhaps even three dishes that are outstanding! Dishes that we have fixed so often we could put them together in our sleep and turn out magnificently every time! They aren't always our personal favorites, but our family and/or friends identify that dish with us because everyone likes it so much and comes to expect it from us on special occasions.

Mine are:
1.) Scalloped Corn Casserole - expected during each family Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner.

2.) Pizza Crust - a crust so tasty that it is preferred over any selection of toppings, and of any desired type (thin and crusty, thick and chewy, white, wheat, sourdough, I do it all.)

3.) Chili - a staple for the majority of single men in America, and in this case, it's so good I can't stay away and end up "sampling" most of it in the crock pot from morning until night.

What about you? What are you known for?

I am a pro trained chef, and cater to small groups, so my repertoire is large. However, I am known to large groups at school or church as the bean guy.

3 different chilis: spicy red meat w/ 3 beans (black, pinto, bep), green chicken chili w/ 3 beans (great northern, garbanzo, bep), lamb chili w/ 2 beans (black and bep) and cashews. any or all served up with rice and pidgeon peas.

beer brats with baked or bbq beans

for my veg friends Indian beans and lentils of many kinds.

And for my Francophile friends, cassoulet.

And then come the bean and lentil soups. OMG...love them!

I like feasts: tradtional Thanksgiving dinner, turkey with all the trimmings, Mexican buffet with green chili, roast pork, refried beans with chipotle infused oil, burritos, tacos, enchiladas...
ham and bean soup
baked beans
egg rolls
Swedish pancakes, Swedish meatballs
jam

Pancakes - Number 1 signature dish, known by literally hundreds of people.

Pork Crown Roast

Smoulering Chicken Recipe

Eggrolls with Pineapple Sweet & Sour Sauce

Grilled Beef Steak

Meatballs (Secret and special recipe)

Chicken Meatballs (Mandarin Chinese flavors in this one)

After two days ago, White Chili :w00t2:

After that, it depends on who you ask. I have fans out there.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Well, I guess I have to say my number 1 dish, for catering and personal entertaining is my Roasted Pork Loin with Chorizo and Strawberry Stuffing. I have made this at several events and also at home. It took awhile to work out the right combo of the stuffing but the hot of the sausage and acid and sweet of the berries really work together and keep the pork moist.

I am also known for my chocolate cake, cheesecake (many variations) and my vegetarian chili (GW, I never come first with this one either though I am always told it is the best - I have been in 5 contests and always come in 3rd).

Chocolate Chip Chipotle cookies (3 ch's)

Slow cooked fresh ham (combination of Southwest and Indian flavors makes this just melt in your mouth) served on a bun with creamy cinnamon cole slaw.

Vegeterian alfredo lasagnia with fresh spinach pasta.

Things that people insist on paying me for...

Country sage sausage

2 hop amber lager

beef jerky

Hmmm, it's tough to say.

• Burgers (DW and I call them Ramsay burgers due to the similarity to a burger he made on Kitchen Nightmares about a year ago)
  • Jambalaya
  • Stir Fry (just a general term for stir fried meat I make in a spicy Szechuan sauce and using a variety of fresh veggies)
  • Tuna Casserole
  • Steaks
  • I'm great salads that appeal strongly to the eye and to the taste buds :)

my family loves my knock off on chicken divan. none like curry so i use lots of chili powder. they ask for it on their birthdays. i am sick of cooking it but oh well. i make a pasta salad with a mexican flair that they like almost as much. my grandson said"grandma i bet u could sell this. lol.

Well, I guess I have to say my number 1 dish, for catering and personal entertaining is my Roasted Pork Loin with Chorizo and Strawberry Stuffing. I have made this at several events and also at home. It took awhile to work out the right combo of the stuffing but the hot of the sausage and acid and sweet of the berries really work together and keep the pork moist.

I am also known for my chocolate cake, cheesecake (many variations) and my vegetarian chili (GW, I never come first with this one either though I am always told it is the best - I have been in 5 contests and always come in 3rd).

.........And a pretty dog-gone good peppermint patty!:chef:

It varies from time to time and location and recipient, but lasagna, negmaki, beef ribs with grilled ratatouille.

I haven't cooked for many people outside my family, but if you ask my husband, he would say in this order...
1) Lasagna
2) Chicken Velvet Soup
3) Chopped Steak
Those are his top 3 favorites at this moment.

Lasagna
Baked Ziti
Pizza
Chili
Pasta Fazool
Bread- Artisan breads, Cheddar cheese bread.
Cherry Cheesecake
There are more but that will do for now. :)

Pasta Fazool

This made me smile to hear Pasta e Fagioli being called this way here... Fazul is a typical Napolitan dialect :)

Out of many favourites, if I were to pinpoint it would be my various risotto (from radicchio, porcini mushroom, pepper and tomatoes, asparagus and gorgonzola, to trentinian apple for example). I have tasted other people's risotto as a guest but I dare say I make them better than any one else among our Italian acquaintances :cool: Not a bad accomplishment considering I had no idea whatsoever how to prepare a risotto properly until I came to Rome 6+ years ago.:chef:

Chocolate Chip Chipotle cookies (3 ch's)

Slow cooked fresh ham (combination of Southwest and Indian flavors makes this just melt in your mouth) served on a bun with creamy cinnamon cole slaw.

Vegeterian alfredo lasagnia with fresh spinach pasta.

Things that people insist on paying me for...

Country sage sausage

2 hop amber lager

beef jerky

Hey bigdaddy3k would you share your Chocolate chip chipotle cookie recipe? Sounds awesome!

I'm known for my mousaka, meatballs, black bean & spicy sausage soup, fresh tuna or wahoo salad & French toast.

here's mine

Mine are:

Grilled Hawaiian spareribs
Mango salsa
Herb Porkchop
Potato Mojos
Mexican cornbread

not much but im trying to learn new recipes:chef:
corn_chips_mango_salsa.jpg

It varies with the season, but off the top of my head:
Scallops Tommy;
Roast Chicken;
Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar Sauce;
Leg of Lamb with Garlic Sauce;
Lamb Two Ways (especially the Devilled Riblets);
Pork Chops Etouffee
Boeuf Bourguignon;
Matzo Ball Soup;
Gefilte Fish;
Shrimp DeJonghe;
Brownies
Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies (known around here as CCO's);
Cheese Cake on Banana Bread Crust;
Coconut Pound Cake;
any of a number of flavors of homemade Ice Cream

Enchiladas with green chili, lettuce, beans...

Attachments

• IMG_9922.jpg
    IMG_9922.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 262
Back
Top Bottom