"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 10-11-2005, 10:43 PM   #11
Executive Chef

That sounds really really lovely, kads. White lights fan here as well. Would be so much fun if we could show Holiday pics. Wish I knew how to do the pic on computer thing, but I could live vicariously through you guys.

Trees in the bathroom I'm game! Thank you for sharing your Holiday Glee with us.

(Please tell me you don't wear ornaments for earrings )

Old 10-12-2005, 07:52 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
That sounds really really lovely, kads. White lights fan here as well. Would be so much fun if we could show Holiday pics. Wish I knew how to do the pic on computer thing, but I could live vicariously through you guys.

Trees in the bathroom I'm game! Thank you for sharing your Holiday Glee with us.

(Please tell me you don't wear ornaments for earrings )
Good heavens ornaments in my ears???? I'd get arrested
Nope all I ever wear in my ears are gold hoops or diamond studs that is it I better qualify the tree in the rest room, they are small counter top fake trees, I've spray painted then just put wired ribbon around them a few lights on a battery pack and some crystal type floral picks easy cheap but fun and makes the room cheery...
kadesma

Old 10-12-2005, 09:03 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYLINDA
We put a jingle bell on a red pipe cleaner...and wrap it around the salt and pepper shakers. Everytime someone salts or peppers...it jingles!
I LOVE this thread!!! I love all the holidays...any reason to celebrate ANYTHING! Each of your ideas make me smile...more, please!!!!!!!!

Kay, I'm doing the jingle bell thing, for sure!

p.s. I'm so happy I found this site!!!

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:22 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Me too, Callie

I like this idea, as well. Guessing painters' tape could be used to suspend the ornaments from the ceiling - and use nylon (clear) thread? Or if anyone can think of something other than tape? I've seen the prettiest wreaths completely covered with Christmas balls (like the ones below) in solid colors, i.e. all silver or gold etc. & a big bow. Or big clear bowls filled with the ornaments below.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:31 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Mish
I use gold and silver baubles in a narrow window in the hall. It's about 4 ft wide and 6 or 7 ft high (really awkward shape!). It normally has a Laura Ashley lace panel suspended from one of those expandable narrow curtain poles. I suspend the baubles on different graduated lengths of thin wrapping ribbon the same colour as the bauble in an inverted U, longest ribbons on the outside of the U shortest two in the middle of the window. on the window ledge I have a really beautiful brass spiral style candelabra I bought in Scandinavia some 20 years ago... with other lights out, it looks so pretty.

I don't decorate for Halloween - and as we don't have thanksgiving, all my decorating has to wait until Christmas - and then the Scottish BIG celebration of the year, Hogmanay!
Old 10-16-2005, 07:15 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Guessing painters' tape could be used to suspend the ornaments from the ceiling - and use nylon (clear) thread? Or if anyone can think of something other than tape?

mish, what about using push pins in the ceiling and fishing line to string the ornaments.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:30 AM   #17
Master Chef

I love Christmas decorations, but what goes up, must come down. I got tired of paying $50 for a tree, and bought an artificial one, which the cats tore up in one season. Now all I do is bring one of my big standard figs in out of the greenhouse, string little lights on it, and put pine cones around the base of the tree. (looks pretty and keeps the cats out of it.)
I have a wreath for my front door, and a grapevine reindeer that I set next to it, along with a few colorfully wrapped fake packages.