What are your Holiday Decorating Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Have any special tips or hints on how you decorate your home/table/fireplace/front door. How about those wreaths and ornaments? Have any place card ideas or how you decorate your pumpkin? Share them with us.

I like using small squash to hold dip on Thanksgiving. Acorn works well--I just slice the bottom off to make it level, scoop out the innards and fill it with dip. I then put it on a small earthenware plate and cover that with cranberries for some nice fall color.

Other than all my little nic nacs {wayt too many of them} and our tree, our fireplace has garland with tiny clear lights sewn threw it and tiny pine cones glued in places. It's not close enough to the fire to cause any problems and it's so beautiful, I want to keep it up all year long. Our living room is indian and wildlife decor and it fits right in anyway.

I used shallow bowls of water with white floating candles & cranberries in them last year on the table at Thanksgiving. It just gave it that little special touch. You can also color the water with food coloring & leave out the cranberries. I did red & green water for Christmas.

I just remembered something that my mom did on Thanksgiving, it was so cute.
She took the bite size reeses peanut butter cups, turned them sideways, put a candy corn, point side down, put two, point side facing the other candy corn as feet and used black decorating for eyes and you have little turkeys!!
Did that make any scense at all?:LOL:

texasgirl said:
I just remembered something that my mom did on Thanksgiving, it was so cute.
She took the bite size reeses peanut butter cups, turned them sideways, put a candy corn, point side down, put two, point side facing the other candy corn as feet and used black decorating for eyes and you have little turkeys!!
Did that make any scense at all?:LOL:

How cute, texas! I'm going to try it. (We even get to eat our decorations :LOL: What could be better!)

We put a jingle bell on a red pipe cleaner...and wrap it around the salt and pepper shakers. Everytime someone salts or peppers...it jingles!

KAYLINDA said:
We put a jingle bell on a red pipe cleaner...and wrap it around the salt and pepper shakers. Everytime someone salts or peppers...it jingles!

:LOL: I like it, Kaylinda. I'm picturing everyone in your restaurant playing "Jingle Bells" at the same time with their salt and pepper shakers.

My main decorating is at Christmas..Thanksgiving is at my daughters home, I cook she does the rest:LOL: But, Christmas I go goofey:LOL: My tree is large and covered with tiny white lights, my ornaments are angels in silver, gold a few older ones in red, I have crystal icycles all over and tiny mirrored balls.So my tree is mainly silver, gold and crystal..My front doors are double so I have two wreaths I made of grapevines with white lights, victorain angels in gold and mauve wide wired ribbon running around and through the whole thing...My dinning room buffet is set with large silver candles, mirrors and mauve and dark pink jeweled fruit..the wrought iron railing that seperates the dinning room from the family room is decorated with a green garland with white lights, wide silver wired ribbon tied in bows with large white magnolia silk flowers, I want to change the flowers this year if I can find some misty blue hydrangias to take the magnolias place.. The kitchen, table we do in red and green and Santa...All 3 bathrooms have a small tree with either gold or silver trim..That's it..I said I'm goofey at Christmas time..I just can't help myself, I love the white lights everywhere...

kadesma

That sounds really really lovely, kads. :) White lights fan here as well. Would be so much fun if we could show Holiday pics. Wish I knew how to do the pic on computer thing, but I could live vicariously through you guys.

Trees in the bathroom :ROFLMAO: I'm game! Thank you for sharing your Holiday Glee with us.

(Please tell me you don't wear ornaments for earrings :ROFLMAO: )

mish said:
That sounds really really lovely, kads. :) White lights fan here as well. Would be so much fun if we could show Holiday pics. Wish I knew how to do the pic on computer thing, but I could live vicariously through you guys.

Trees in the bathroom :ROFLMAO: I'm game! Thank you for sharing your Holiday Glee with us.

(Please tell me you don't wear ornaments for earrings :ROFLMAO: )
Good heavens ornaments in my ears????:ROFLMAO: I'd get arrested:ROFLMAO:
Nope all I ever wear in my ears are gold hoops or diamond studs that is it :rolleyes: I better qualify the tree in the rest room, they are small counter top fake trees, I've spray painted then just put wired ribbon around them a few lights on a battery pack and some crystal type floral picks easy cheap but fun and makes the room cheery...
kadesma

KAYLINDA said:

I LOVE this thread!!! I love all the holidays...any reason to celebrate ANYTHING! Each of your ideas make me smile...more, please!!!!!!!!

Kay, I'm doing the jingle bell thing, for sure!

p.s. I'm so happy I found this site!!! :)

Me too, Callie :)

I like this idea, as well. Guessing painters' tape could be used to suspend the ornaments from the ceiling - and use nylon (clear) thread? Or if anyone can think of something other than tape? I've seen the prettiest wreaths completely covered with Christmas balls (like the ones below) in solid colors, i.e. all silver or gold etc. & a big bow. Or big clear bowls filled with the ornaments below.

Mish
I use gold and silver baubles in a narrow window in the hall. It's about 4 ft wide and 6 or 7 ft high (really awkward shape!). It normally has a Laura Ashley lace panel suspended from one of those expandable narrow curtain poles. I suspend the baubles on different graduated lengths of thin wrapping ribbon the same colour as the bauble in an inverted U, longest ribbons on the outside of the U shortest two in the middle of the window. on the window ledge I have a really beautiful brass spiral style candelabra I bought in Scandinavia some 20 years ago... with other lights out, it looks so pretty.

I don't decorate for Halloween - and as we don't have thanksgiving, all my decorating has to wait until Christmas - and then the Scottish BIG celebration of the year, Hogmanay!

mish said:
Guessing painters' tape could be used to suspend the ornaments from the ceiling - and use nylon (clear) thread? Or if anyone can think of something other than tape?

mish, what about using push pins in the ceiling and fishing line to string the ornaments.

I love Christmas decorations, but what goes up, must come down. I got tired of paying $50 for a tree, and bought an artificial one, which the cats tore up in one season. Now all I do is bring one of my big standard figs in out of the greenhouse, string little lights on it, and put pine cones around the base of the tree. (looks pretty and keeps the cats out of it.)
I have a wreath for my front door, and a grapevine reindeer that I set next to it, along with a few colorfully wrapped fake packages.

Back
Top Bottom