What are your plans for bringing in 2014?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are hosting a casual bash organised at the last minute (last night). The current plan is to have a large pot of pasta fagioli and stacks of garlic bread available to go with whatever folks bring. My personal goal is to stay vertical until after midnight ;)

Janet H;1[I said:
331[/I]792]We are hosting a casual bash organised at the last minute (last night). The current plan is to have a large pot of pasta fagioli and stacks of garlic bread available to go with whatever folks bring. My personal goal is to stay vertical until after midnight ;)

That is a wonderful idea!

It makes me think of Dean Martin "When the stars make you drool, Just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!"

Dean Martin - "That's Amore" (ta

I'll be attending a wild party at my daughter's house. I'm bringing my personal air matress and a sleeping bag. My wife will probably crash on the couch.

I'll get up at 8am and watch the Rose Parade with a large bowl of menudo for my hangover...

Last edited:
We've been invited to a New Year's Eve party at a neighbor's house about a half block away. May or may not go, depending on how I feel. At least there will be no roadblocks between here and there ;)

I'll be attending a wild party at my daughter's house. I'm bringing my personal air matress and a sleeping bag. My wife will probably crash on the couch.

I'll get up at 8am and watch the Rose Parade with a large bowl of menudo for my hangover...

Turn it up loud. There's nothing like parade music with people talking over it to wake a household.

provided that the bottles were kept at a constant temperature & stored horizontally,so that the corks don't dry out,champers will keep for ever(well,almost).bottoms up,they'll be fine,auntie!!
Yup. Just give the cork a sniff before you take a big mouthful. ;)

We are invited to a friends house. She insists that everyone stay until midnight. I hate to disappoint her, but...we will probably be asleep when the ball drops. (in our own bed). We normally stay home and prefer that, but this is her first New Year away from her family, so we'll go over for awhile.

Do any of you know how long a bottle of unopened champagne, that has been under constant refrigeration, will last?

I have two 375ML bottles of Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin that have been in the refrigerator since 2005 and this year I have decided to drink them or dump them.

Which should it be, keep in mind that you are dealing with someone that will eat potatoes that have been left out all night! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
Hard to tell with those small bottles. They aren't usually designed to last for a long time. I'd say open them regardless. Even if it's gone bad, it won't hurt you.

But it might be a good idea to have a backup bottle on hand. ;)

True story. Several years ago we decided to pull out two bottles of 1985 Bollinger that had been socked away for "a special occasion" and take them to a party. They had been purchased at the same time and stored under identical conditions. One of the bottles was still very much drinkable. The other was flat. You never know how these things will fare over the long haul. Sometimes you have to invent your own "special occasions" just so the wine doesn't have a chance to go bad.

Last edited:
We are staying in the neighborhood this year. We're having surf & turf for dinner before heading over to the neighbors for a party. Nothing terribly exciting. We'll probably play cards, drink, and be merry.

Tomorrow we have our last indulgence, creamy oyster stew, before beginning the annual diet. :)

Just got home last night from a long trip to the in-laws. No plans to leave the nest tonight. We'll have some Mexican meal tonight and homemade pizza tomorrow. DH will probably go to bed and I'll stay up until midnight then head to bed myself. No parties for us this year.

The Pirate called and he is coming over to spend the night. He is picking up a couple of strip steaks for the two of us and will pop a couple of potatoes in the oven to bake. Gravy from the drippings. Veggie will probably be frozen broccoli or petite peas. Knowing the two of us, we will most likely be sound asleep by midnight.

I HAVE to do laundry tonight. So much excitement in my house. My laundry basket is over flowing. :angel:

I'll be asleep at midnight but here are some different things that will be lowered at midnight instead of the traditional ball. I scratched my head over the first one!!! :rolleyes:

1) Live possum
Brasstown, N.C., gently lowers a caged possum at midnight. The critter is then set free.
2) MoonPie
Mobile, Ala., drops a 12-foot electronic MoonPie logo made of plastic and LED lights from the 34-story RSA Trustmark building. Why wait for Mardi Gras to enjoy the confection?
3) Peach
Atlanta lowers an 800-pound peach made of fiberglass and foam from a 138-foot tower of lights. More than 170,000 people are expected to cheer the fruit's descent.
4) Peep
Although Easter is usually the busy time of year for Peeps, Bethlehem, Pa., where the marshmallow confection is made, will drop a giant Peep from the top of the manufacturer's headquarters.
5) Chunk of cheese
In a salute to Wisconsin’s dairy industry, the city of Plymouth will drop a decorated metal cheese wedge from a truck ladder raised 100 feet high, according to the Plymouth Arts Center.
6) Beach ball
What better way to celebrate in Panama City, Fla., than with a beach ball? An 800-pound LED-lighted beach ball will descend nearly 100 feet in this seaside city.
7) Boot
In Prescott, Ariz., residents will watch an illuminated 6-foot cowboy boot being lowered from a fire engine ladder for the third year.

7 weird items that will drop New Year's Eve (not the Times Square ball) - latimes.com

Duck confit!!!! Yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you post your recipe here? Not for the confit, because I have a recipe for it, but for how you assemble it and the sauce?

Too bad you live so far from me. :(

Going dancing. The band will play from 8:30 pm to midnight at a local dancing spot. Generally I can dance until 11:00 pm before my feet start to scream, so I don't expect to last until midnight.

Back
Top Bottom