"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 08-29-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
Head Chef

What can I take to the neighbors?

We have the best neighbors in the world. They are only here in the summer months but they are so good to us. Yesterday we went out on the lake in their new boat. Last summer they took us flying (it was mr. callie's first time in an airplane!).

We are going to their house for supper tomorrow night. I've bought a cute package of potpourri to take to them but would like to take a food item. She said no help with supper...but still, I would like to take something to give them. Help????????? (I'm not a real social butterfly so need ideas.) Tomorrow is a sort of flexible work day for me, so I have time to do something that's not too complicated.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi Callie
did you want to take something to have before dinner? Or are you wanting to take them something just for themselves.. I keep several small baskets here and will take a napkin or placemat that isn't to thick and line the basket, then I put in things I know a friend will like but hesitates to go get for themselves. I have one friend who dearly loves tea and chocolate, sooo I picked up 3 different tea's and some chocolate mints plus a small bottle of sparkling wine and a pretty wine glass..If I'm bringing something to eat before dinner, I've been known to take slices of salami, put a gob of cream cheese in the center, not a ton cuz your going to top the cream cheese with a pepperoncini and then roll it like a cigar..Or I take some dried medditeranian apricots, stuff them with cream cheese, a glazed walnut then drizzle the whole platter with rosemary honey.. Just an idea or two...Hope they help

kadesma

Old 08-29-2006, 08:03 PM   #3
Master Chef

Once again, I wish you were MY neighbor, Kadesma.

I don't know about your friends, Callie, but anyone who comes through my door with a bottle of good Asti Spumante (Italian champagne) really knows how to put a smile on my face. And if they bring chocolates, Kim is a happy camper.
Lawdy, that man loves chocolate.

If you want to get fancy, a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream goes awfully well with after dinner coffee. I don't like coffee, but I'll have a shot of Bailey's!

Old 08-29-2006, 08:05 PM   #4
Head Chef

hmmmm....thanks, kades! she's really a "take charge" kind of person - a wonderful hostess...so i think i'd be better taking something for them - not for consumption while we're there, ya know? i thought about taking cut flowers, but would rather take food. we have a local tiny health food shop called "Sweet Peas." maybe i'll go there and get a few things. i like your basket idea.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:07 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Take a nice bottle of wine. It doesn't have to be expensive -- just ask the clerk to recommend something in the price range you want to spend -- you should be able to find a decent bottle for $10 to $20 (e.g., a 2002 Mondavi Cabernet, a 90-point wine for under $20). Your friends will then have the option of serving it or saving it for another day, and you won't offend by bringing unwanted food that they'll fell obligated to serve.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:07 PM   #6
Head Chef

oh, constance! that's a great idea, too!! the wife drinks, the husband abstains. she and i had wonderful mimosas on sunday morning...i had thought of taking some wine but didn't want to leave the mr. out. do you think it would be ok to take some alcohol if he doesn't drink, too?

Old 08-29-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
Head Chef

fryboy - that's MY idea of a wonderful hostess gift...but as you'll see in my other post, the husband doesn't drink alcohol. what do YOU think? should i include some wine or champagne? would it offend him?

Old 08-29-2006, 08:09 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie
hmmmm....thanks, kades! she's really a "take charge" kind of person - a wonderful hostess...so i think i'd be better taking something for them - not for consumption while we're there, ya know? i thought about taking cut flowers, but would rather take food. we have a local tiny health food shop called "Sweet Peas." maybe i'll go there and get a few things. i like your basket idea.
Callie, Sweet Peas, sounds perfect...Who knows what treasures you might find..

kadesma
Old 08-29-2006, 08:23 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I like the basket idea and the health food store. You can find all kinds of great goodies to put into your basket.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:31 PM   #10
Head Chef

thanks, amber, thanks, kadesma! i have a liquor store nearby and Sweet Peas. i think i'll go check out the health food store and if i feel like it, i'll add some small something from the liquor store for mrs. neighbor. you guys are great help! (and nobody suggested i cook/bake/make anything! )