What did you eat at your wedding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember very little of my first wedding, which was 40+ years ago. All I DO remember was the cake was awful. That was a big disappointment because it was made by a very well-recommended Washington, DC bakery. Oh, well, the marriage was a disappointment, too, as it ended in divorce not many years after.

When Buck and I married, more than 30 years ago, we were as poor as a church mouse and did the whole thing ourselves. I made all the flowers, decorations, my gown and veil, all the attendant's dresses, as well as the wedding cake.

The facility where we had the wedding was a huge 1770s mansion that had been turned into a party/function center and belonged to the county. Since we were married the week before Christmas, the place was decorated to the rafters by the county as a Christmas showplace. It was gorgeous.

In addition to the cake, we had finger foods (no full kitchen because the facility was not licensed for that type of event) and plenty of champagne. I think there were about 125 people there to celebrate with us. The cake was great, even if I was the one who made it.

Fast forward to Halloween 2009. Glenn's and my wedding day. It was a lovely, mild, sunny day. Somewhat unusual for this region for that time of the year. Beautiful shirtsleeves weather.

We were married at 4 p.m. outside in the huge gazebo that is a focal point in the city of Paducah, which is near where we live. A dear, dear friend married us and we went back to their store (a very elegant jewelry store) and had wedding cake and champagne. And, man oh man, was the cake ever good. So good that I had the bakery make another smaller one for our second anniversary.

We were a small group. Just our friend who married us, his wife, one of his employees (a friend, too), Constance (a fellow DCer) and her husband, and one other very dear female friend.

After the cake and champagne, Glenn and I walked down to a bed-and-breakfast where he'd made reservations for our honeymoon night. The inn is above an outstanding Mexican restaurant where we had our first date. We checked in and, after an hour or so of kicking back and reliving our wedding, we went downstairs for a fantastic Mexican dinner. I don't remember what we ate because we've eaten there so many times, I think we've had everything on the menu by now. It's all always sooooo good.

P.S. The gazebo is where we made arrangements to meet for the first time. It's now "our" gazebo.;);)

Let's see,

We had a cocktail hour and served 2 cocktails in giant punch bowls. We had a tray or two each of bruschetta, a cheese tray, and a veggie tray.

For the meal our guests had a choice of Stuffed Chicken Breast, or Roast Beef. Both came with a baby veggie blend and garlic mashed potatoes.

We had a beautiful cake! It was a 3 tiered white cake with Swiss meringue and had raspberry filling. It was fantastic!

I don't know what champagne we had.

We spent the rest of the night dancing and having a great time. Our guests still talk about how fun the wedding was. All I know is that the food was great and I wouldn't change anything about our wedding.

Attachments

• cake.jpg
    cake.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 71
Ehoort said:
For my first marriage, I made a wedding "cake" out of different size rounds of cheese, covered in a "frosting" of cream cheese. Served that with assorted crackers, grapes, other assorted fruit and wine. We were broke and had to pay for it ourselves, and this was cheap. Plus we froze the left over cheese and ate it for a year.

I am enjoying these stories so I went back to the beginning so I could see who to thank for starting the thread. Thats when I realized that it was started in 06. No matter...thanks Ehoort for bringing it back. Sometimes it can be a good thing. Thanks everyone for the heartfelt stories.

I am enjoying these stories so I went back to the beginning so I could see who to thank for starting the thread. Thats when I realized that it was started in 06. No matter...thanks Ehoort for bringing it back. Sometimes it can be a good thing. Thanks everyone for the heartfelt stories.

You know...that was Shrek and My first wedding, we were married a second time 22 years later...but, that wasn't as big of a food event.

We used points to fly to Hawaii, (broke), got married by a JP on the hotel tennis court on Maui. We had travelled many places, and had always been "adopted" by other folks to hang with, but this time no-one had "adopted" us. The day before our wedding, I spotted a lovely older couple by the pool, and asked them to witness for us. They were delighted! The following day, they joined us at the tennis court, with their adult son, dressed to the nines. Champagne and pictures. I wore a black Hawaiian wrap with bold flowers, with a stolen hibiscus bloom in my hair.

Shortly after, we went back to our room, and DH fell asleep. I went shopping at the mall downstairs in our hotel, and found a great belt.

We honeymooned on Kauai, did Napali Coast Zodiac tour, Kokei National Park, heavenly Hana.

I have no idea what we ate. Most likely mahi-mahi.

My mom did give us a lovely reception in my home town, had wedding cake and lots of other stuff.

No such thing as a stolen hibiscus; a bloom only lasts a day, you're always welcome to pick one! At least that's what we learned (my adopted mom got me piikaki).

Claire said:
No such thing as a stolen hibiscus; a bloom only lasts a day, you're always welcome to pick one! At least that's what we learned (my adopted mom got me piikaki).

Now that I recall, it was a sprig of bougainvilla, snipped from the balcony of our hotel room!

I grow hibiscus, put them outside in the summer, bring them in during the winter. One is flowering now.

I remember a carving station and some grest tortellini in a cream sauce.
They packed up the leftover food for us and we had the next day at my in-laws where we opened the gifts.

The hotel where we stayed the first night would let you into a small kitchen with your room key and they would stock it full of goodies to take back to your room. It was called "Raid the pantry". My Best Man gave us the room as a gift so we called him to come join us for the Pantry Raid.

lol, i'm glad i responded way back when or i would have never remembered today.

i'd like to eat what we had that night again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom