"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 01-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

We got married at 11:00 a.m. with just my brothers, mom, dad, and minister present. We went for lunch in a private diningroom att an upscale restaurant. I remember the pears that were carved like swans, and little else. I'd have to watch the video!

Old 01-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #52
Executive Chef

Hmmmm. I eloped. Got married at Toronto City Hall. Two Catholics married by the JP who was a Rabbi. Witnesses were two city hall clerks. We dropped the Rabbi off at home after. I think we grabbed Chinese takeout on the way home. Ate it on the floor of our apartment because all of the contents were in a shipping container en route to Italy. We moved there a few days later....

Old 01-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #53
Master Chef

We were married by a state JP. He did a beautiful ceremony, but I think was at least a little dismayed that husband and broke into giggles at one point. We were pleased that when we returned to Hawaii years later to find that good man was a judge who specialized in child advocacy. It is always nice to know that there are good people out there.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #54
Executive Chef

ooh, ehoort really had a great idea for a wedding cake--cheese rounds w/cream cheese, grapes and crackers, wine--so much tastier than real cake!! (imo)

we had our wedding reception at a restaurant called scandia. it was run by a swedish couple, and we were served swedish meatball dinners. they single-handedly served the sixty-odd guests. i still remember the delicate meatballs and the white cream wine sauce--very special.
neither the restaurant nor the marriage survived in the long run....
Old 01-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #55
Certified Cake Maniac

We got married by a marriage commissioner in our back yard under an apple tree with my sister and his best friend as witnesses. We planned the whole thing in five hours (long story around a family feud that lasted 6 years after we were married).

After the commissioner left, we barbequed steaks with baked potatoes, mushrooms, Caesar salad and bacon wrapped asparagus. My sister brought the "wedding cake", an awesome turtle cheesecake.

The meal and the wedding were so simple and relaxed I can remember every detail.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #56
Executive Chef

We had a wonderful wedding at my Grandparent's farm outside in a beautiful green yard. We were young and didn't have much money so people gave us gifts for the big day. One Aunt made the silk flowers. Another relative made the cake, etc. It was on a Friday evening in August (evening so it wasn't so hot). We just had cake after the ceremony and opened our gifts (something that doesn't happen any more, but something that was very special). Afterwards we stopped by our hotel room to change and then went to Red Lobster. When we were ready to leave we realized that my groom had forgotten his wallet in the room when we changed clothes. I was sitting at the table waiting for him to get back from the hotel when my mom and my sister and her family walked into the restaurant. It took some explaining to get them to believe that he really was coming back! :D It's been almost 32 years since that night and he hasn't left me alone since.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
We had a wonderful wedding at my Grandparent's farm outside in a beautiful green yard. We were young and didn't have much money so people gave us gifts for the big day. One Aunt made the silk flowers. Another relative made the cake, etc. It was on a Friday evening in August (evening so it wasn't so hot). We just had cake after the ceremony and opened our gifts (something that doesn't happen any more, but something that was very special). Afterwards we stopped by our hotel room to change and then went to Red Lobster. When we were ready to leave we realized that my groom had forgotten his wallet in the room when we changed clothes. I was sitting at the table waiting for him to get back from the hotel when my mom and my sister and her family walked into the restaurant. It took some explaining to get them to believe that he really was coming back! :D It's been almost 32 years since that night and he hasn't left me alone since.
or his wallet either, let's hope. lovely story, plus love....
Old 01-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #58
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta

or his wallet either, let's hope. lovely story, plus love....
Yes. His wallet has, for the most part, stayed with him. :) Thanks for noticing the love...there is a lot of love at my house. I am one lucky woman!
Old 01-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #59
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Mom was trying to get a hold of Grandma before the rushed ceremony at the courthouse. Grandma worked at the hospital, two blocks west of the courthouse and lived two blocks east. Mom missed her, so it was just The Judge, Mom & Dad, my brother, Shrek and I. Mom reached Grandma afterward and we all met at a Mexican restaurant. I don't know what everyone else had, but I had beans, rice, Beef burrito and sopapillas.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
Mom was trying to get a hold of Grandma before the rushed ceremony at the courthouse. Grandma worked at the hospital, two blocks west of the courthouse and lived two blocks east. Mom missed her, so it was just The Judge, Mom & Dad, my brother, Shrek and I. Mom reached Grandma afterward and we all met at a Mexican restaurant. I don't know what everyone else had, but I had beans, rice, Beef burrito and sopapillas.
Wow. You still remember what you ate. I can yell you are still young! :D