"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 10-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #31
Master Chef

My thing is I want to eventually get a used cargo van and turn it into an off grid, stealth, bug out camper. It'll be equipped with food and survival gear, 24/7, ready to roll.
But of course, in the meantime I'll be using it as a weekend overnight camper.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Spam-Portugue.../dp/B00X3473RS

OH MY GOSH!! NO!!

I thought about looking for Portuguese Sausage flavored Spam ...

$11.75 for ONE can of Spam?

Holy buckets! Well, that flavor is off my list. You can get a full-grown ham for that price!

Old 10-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have TidyCat litter buckets (washed out) for all my survival gear, They are compact, same size and stack nicely. Clothing, first aid, utensils, canned foods, packet foods, cat food...each has it's own bucket. Charcoal grill with extra briquets and wood for cooking, a couple of 8 quart stock pots with lids (filled with flour, salt, pepper, coconut oil, chili powder, granulated garlic}. Any extra buckets I get now will be filled with potable water.
Like this, right? There are several of them, one just labeled "Food."

The last couple of days waiting for Hurricane Matthew, I was wondering if these buckets are waterproof.

I save the empty litter jugs to fill with roof water, for the toilet flushing and such.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA071542.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	25502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitty Litter Top 10 7 2016.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	25503  

Old 10-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Like this, right? There are several of them, one just labeled "Food."

The last couple of days waiting for Hurricane Matthew, I was wondering if these buckets are waterproof.

I save the empty litter jugs to fill with roof water, for the toilet flushing and such.
Those exactly! not sure about the waterproof, I've sealed the tops with duct tape and written the date stored on them.

I love Sparrowgrass' idea of filling bleach bottles. They are already sanitized.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #35
Sous Chef

I have a poop shovel for digging latrines! That is one of the more important things to have because your sewage system might not work, so it just get worse by using your own toilet or there is no toilet at all.
And that is actually what kills people, no safe of deposing of human poop and pee. So remember to dig your latrines correctly.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
I have a poop shovel for digging latrines! That is one of the more important things to have because your sewage system might not work, so it just get worse by using your own toilet or there is no toilet at all.
And that is actually what kills people, no safe of deposing of human poop and pee. So remember to dig your latrines correctly.
Sorry, no. That would be completely inappropriate in my area, and most places along the coast. I live in a densely populated neighborhood in a small city, half a block from a river. We are barely above sea level. Your solution would result in waste eventually making its way into the river, polluting it.

In addition, the primary problem with hurricanes is flooding from heavy rain and storm surge. Trying to dig a latrine in a flooded, or likely to be flooded, place, is a very bad idea. When the water comes in, the waste would be spread all over the place.

To prepare for a hurricane back in 2003, I filled the bathtub with water. We ended up without water for five days and we used water from the bathtub to flush the toilet. This is the recommended solution.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:59 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
That reminds me - we have two 55-gallon water barrels in the backyard for the garden! Plenty of water for flushing and in a pinch, we could filter and boil it and use it in other ways. I might add chlorine tablets for purification to my hurricane kit.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #38
Sous Chef

Then you would have to bag you waste.. but that is another story.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:18 PM   #39
Master Chef

In the case of earthquakes for example, you may not be able to get into the house to use the toilet. A shovel is a good idea in that case.

Another source of water is your hot water tank. Earthquakes don't warn you to fill up the bathtub with water.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:40 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Our last "issue" was a few years ago. I'd already filled up the bathtub for flushing water. Our neighbor didn't, but since we have a subdivision pool, he'd go up to the pool with a big bucket, and bring pool water home for flushing. Thankfully, that incident only lasted a couple days.

Tags
food