What foods to have on hand for a natural disaster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then you would have to bag you waste.. but that is another story.

It depends on the kind of disaster you're talking about. As Kayelle said, it would work in her area because the buildings would be unsafe after an earthquake, and I believe she doesn't live near a body of water.

As I've said several times, we used buckets of water to flush toilets after we lost water service following a hurricane. Burying waste when there's flooding going on isn't feasible.

On some of the SHTF websites, there are directions for composting toilets using large buckets and a split pool noodle as a seat.

This is true.
But if your tank is housed inside your home or garage you may have trouble accessing the tank in case of major damage to your home.

I'm glad ours is inside a cabinet on the outside of the house. As you know, the California law now is that all hotwater tanks must braced to walls for earthquake reasons. I found that out when I was selling my old house.

It depends on the kind of disaster you're talking about. As Kayelle said, it would work in her area because the buildings would be unsafe after an earthquake, and I believe she doesn't live near a body of water.

As I've said several times, we used buckets of water to flush toilets after we lost water service following a hurricane. Burying waste when there's flooding going on isn't feasible.

I live very close to a river that's practically dry right now, because of the drought. It leads to the ocean 15 miles away, but in case of a disaster I wouldn't be personally concerned with that. It's logical my focus would be to bury our human waste to keep our surrounding area safe.

I live very close to a river that's practically dry right now, because of the drought. It leads to the ocean 15 miles away, but in case of a disaster I wouldn't be personally concerned with that. It's logical my focus would be to bury our human waste to keep our surrounding area safe.

Yes, and the opposite for me :) The river near my house is used for marine commerce, cargo shipping, Navy and Coast Guard operations, a cruise ship terminal, and recreational boating and fishing. Not good to get it polluted with human waste.

I'm glad ours is inside a cabinet on the outside of the house. As you know, the California law now is that all hotwater tanks must braced to walls for earthquake reasons. I found that out when I was selling my old house.....

Yes, and not only that, California now requires hot water heaters to be double braced. I found that out when I had to replace my water heater a few years ago. The plumber had to double brace it to the wall - top and bottom.

Mine is in the garage.

Earthquake Country Alliance: Secure Your Stuff: Water Heater

Last edited:
We have plenty of things on hand food wise. We freeze 2L plastic soda bottles full of water and stick some in the fridge and leave some in the freezer in case the power goes out. When the all clear is given, and the power is still out, we fire up the generator to keep the fridge and deep freezer going. When Wilma hit, we supplied power to one of our neighbors to keep theirs going as well. If all else fails, with defrosting of our freezers and stove, then I have my outdoor cooking equipment to fall back on. To paraphrase a restaurant slogan, "They will be eating good in the neighborhood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Want to be prepared?

Go here.
Survivalist Forum Survival Gear SHTF and TEOTWAWKI Articles

Lot's of nice folk sharing knowledge.

Disregard those over the top posters.

Life is full of doom and gloom personalities but to each his own.

Disaster is relative to what you expect.

I think I'm prepared for what I may encounter.

Plenty of foodstuffs tucked away and power will last as long as I can keep the generator going. ;)

I'm a former Girl Scout and somewhat of a McGuyver. I can make stuff out of plants and twigs and duct tape!

Want to be prepared?

Go here.
Survivalist Forum Survival Gear SHTF and TEOTWAWKI Articles

Lot's of nice folk sharing knowledge.

Disregard those over the top posters.

Life is full of doom and gloom personalities but to each his own.

I'm sure people can get good information there, but I think it's much more efficient to go to your state's disaster preparedness site. They will have checklists of supplies and other recommendations, as well as links to ways to get help from local, state and federal government, if necessary.

I think it's much easier and faster to get information from a source has what you need already gathered in one place, rather than having to root around a discussion board trying to figure out what is reliable and relevant to your situation.

Last edited:
I'm sure people can get good information there, but I think it's much more efficient to go to your state's disaster preparedness site. They will have checklists of supplies and other recommendations, as well as links to ways to get help from local, state and federal government, if necessary.

I think it's much easier and faster to get information from a source has what you need already gathered in one place, rather than having to root around a discussion board trying to figure out what is reliable and relevant to your situation.

Agree!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom