"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 08-01-2006, 09:17 PM   #11
Master Chef

Mudbug, I have to laugh. I have about 200 CDs, and easily half or more of them date to WWII, so I have it made in the music dept, all I have to do is program the player. I've always joked that if you looked at my music you'd think I was 90. Yakuta, I agree that it was too sweet for me. And trifles are so darned easy to make and can be made in advance. I happen to have a package of lady fingers that I need to check the sell-by date on, but have also made trifles with angel food cake and/or pound cake.

If I were in your position, though, I'd make a dish or two myself but take up your husband's offer and have some of it catered. Especially those individual-type appetizers and anything fried (I hate frying!).

Old 08-01-2006, 09:35 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Labor Day party for 30 friends and family and I'll be serving the usual:

Ribs
Grilled chicken breasts
hotdogs and hamburgers
sausages
potato salad
slaw
corn on the cob
baked beans

and I havent decided on the desserts yet.

Mr HBs family are such picky eaters that it's not fun to cook for them. My fam and friends are always up for all cuisines and experiments.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:56 AM   #13
Head Chef

Hi Claire at some point I will resort to catering. I called someone who caters to inquire about the cost for eggrolls. She quoted me a 1 a peice. I asked a couple more people I know who cater and they quoted the same. At a 1 a peice it would cost be just 120 dollars for the eggrolls. I just could not digest that cost. Even with the best ingredients it costs me less to make them. I guess it's labor intensive and hence the cost.

I hate to fry as well but I it's now all done and I am happy that I saved atleast 75 dollars on eggrolls that I can splurge on other things. I don't even want to imagine how much they would charge for other items cause it's all super labor intensive (almost all Indian food is).
Old 08-07-2006, 08:23 PM   #14
Master Chef

Yakuta, I always look at the price of catering and give in and cook. BUT luckily all my friends believe in the concept of potluck, so I don't have to do it all. Where I have bought the bullet on occaision is to hire someone (usually a young, broke, person) to pick up and serve. It is very nice not to wake up to a huge mess.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:35 PM   #15
Master Chef

Jan, there's something to be said for the old tried and true. I think your menu sounds delicious.
We've done some entertaining, but we haven't had a big whing-ding for some time.
That's getting ready to change, though, because our son and his fiancee are coming up from Florida for two weeks in September. We'll be having a double celebration: Chris's 40th birthday, and the new grandchild that's on the way. I'm not sure how many will be coming, but it will be in the area of 20-30.

Kim's planning on smoking some meats, and Chris will help him with that, plus helping me with lifting heavy pots and such. I can't do all the preparations I used to, but my daughter and Melissa will help, and my friends will bring things.

Here's the tentative menu:

Hors d'ouevres: undecided, nothing too heavy

smoked turkey, pork butts, maybe a pork loin, and brats
buns and assorted breads for sandwiches
my homemade BBQ sauce and other condiments
Carolina Spicy Slaw, potato salad, pasta salad
Killer Baked Beans
deviled eggs

Desserts: Double Chocolate Gooey Buttercake, refrigerator cheesecake
Old 08-08-2006, 10:08 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Claire, I've found from catering parties for 'olderly' folks and my relatives, that the older we get the more we crave sweets!! Here is a cake recipe that I have to make each time I go to my mother's - she and her friends can devour the entire cake at one sitting!!!

APPLE CAKE WITH CARAMEL SAUCE
Recipe By :a Chef's Journey via Margaret's D-I-L, chef at J's Winery
Serving Size : 12

1 1/2 c Wesson oil
2 c sugar
3 eggs
3 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsps cinnamon
3 c coarsley chopped Granny Smith apples, UNPEELED
1 c walnuts
2 tsps vanilla
CARAMEL SAUCE:
1 c butter
2 c light brown sugar
1 c heavy cream

Preheat oven to 325.

Butter & flour a 10" Bundt pan.
Using an electric mixer, blend together the oil & sugar in a large bowl.

Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
Sift flour, soda, nutmeg & cinnamon into egg mixture, beating thoroughly.

The batter will be very stiff.
Fold the apples & walnuts into the batter with a spatula, then stir in the vanilla.
Spoon batter into prepared pan.

Bake for 1 1/4 hours, or till a pick inserted in cake comes out clean.
Place pan on a rack; let cool for about 1 hour.

TO MAKE CARAMEL SAUCE:
Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan set over medium heat.
Stir in brown sugar.

When sugar dissolves, add the cream, whisking to form an emulsion.
Gently turn cake out onto a plate.
Pour about 1/2 cup of the warm sauce over the cake to form a glaze.

Serve immediately, with a little of the remaining sauce spooned over each slice, or let the cake cool completely.
The sauce keeps well in frig, but it should be reheated before serving.
------

The cake can be made ahead (frozen also if desired) and just whip up the caramel the day of.

Your party sounds like a lot of fun - I hope someone has a tape recorder going - what a lot of stories and history you all will be hearing!!
Old 08-08-2006, 10:25 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

nice menu, chopstix.

as to dessert suggestions for the elderly, how about an assortment of bite-sized things? I know my Mom who is in her 80's, can't eat as much as she use to and she likes small portions of everything so she can taste more.
petite fours, brownie bites, you can make sheet cakes of several flavors, cut the top off, cut in small rounds and "glue" them together iwth iceing, letting the colors show on the sides, tassie cups, palmeirs(okay, thats bigger than a bite, but light)
Old 08-08-2006, 10:32 AM   #18
Executive Chef

The next big event we have is in November. We have our SS class out for a cookout in the pasture. We have a bonfire (now in a firepit) and have chairs all around the fire. We set up a buffet of grilled food, salads, desserts, etc to the side. This year we will have walking tacos along with the grilled food. We decorate with hay bales, quilts and torches. We usually have around 50-60 people and have a wonderful time.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:13 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Gosh that sounds like a great time, Licia.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:09 AM   #20
Master Chef

cjs, thanks for reminding me about sweets. It's an area I tend to neglect. One reason older people like sweets more I think is that when you quit either/or alcohol/cigarettes, the result is often a sweet tooth. Anyway, I don't bake, but as I mentioned, I have a few local friends who will be invited to help me out with the reception. I really don't know at this point if it is actually going to happen. My house is NOT handicapped-accessible. If we do have this reception, I need to invite a few very strong people to help get folks from their vehicles to the house. We'll see.