"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 09-22-2006, 05:59 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Claire, I doubt that you ever put on a bad party. Your latest sounds like it was fabulous, in spite of the "shortcuts."

This may be blasphemy on a cooking board, but I'm convinced that the right mix of people makes a better party than the proper food.

So here's my challenge. Daughter wants to invite 70 high school freshmen to her birthday party in a couple of weeks. We are renting the community clubhouse. I am most definitely NOT feeding a crowd of this size anything resembling dinner.

Ideas beyond the usual brownies, cocktail weenies, chips and dips? Remember that we are not talking about a sophisticated group here.

"Teens in heat dance to the beat." Frank Zappa

Old 10-09-2006, 03:45 PM   #42
Master Chef

Mudbug, thank you for your kind words. My computer crashed and burned and I'm not back up to par yet. On top of the WWII reunion, I had two sets of house guests! You are SO right. Attitude means so much more than just food. Don't get me wrong, you know I love to cook and eat or I wouldn't be here talking to you. But I agree that the right mix of people and the right attitude are actually more important when entertaining.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #43
Master Chef

Hey guys, you haven't been telling me your next food-oriented occaision. Now I have Brunch on the 22nd. All I have to do is the main dishes ... I'm thinking a baked pain perdue, and since I have a freezer full of biscuits that were left to me, maybe some ham or sausage biscuits. My friends are bringing salads, appetizers and desert. Everyone is responsible for a bottle of the bubbly, but we'll have one of vodka, OJ, and hubby makes a mean bloody.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #44
Master Chef

Mud, for that group I'd probably buy a lot of what we used to call in Hawaii, heavy puupuus. I might make one favorite dish (whatever your kid's favorite is), but then would buy tons of finger food you can stick into a hot oven (mini pizzas, cheese sticks, etc) and pop out with a few dipping sauces. I also make sure I have carrot and celery, etc sticks. A favorite at my house is to take some mayo, honey, a bit of musard and a dash of tabasco or your favorite. A jar of salsa, and some tomato sauce (from a jar or your fave home made).
Old 10-10-2006, 09:25 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Claire, good ideas but too late - the party was last Friday.

I had a large pan full of little pigs in a blanket (kids didn't eat any until they were ice cold and pruny looking), and crockpot full of sausage Rotel dip with plenty of chips (they liked this) and never even got the Bagel Bites out of the freezer. They seemed to be quite happy just throwing M&Ms at each other, munching a few chips, and opening can after can of pop. Quite a few didn't even want birthday cake when it was time for that to come out.

Foodies they are not.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:35 AM   #46
Executive Chef

I need to catch up on this thread. We are giving my mom a party for her 89th birthday. She hadn't been feeling very well and I mentioned to her she'd better take care of herself so she could dance at her birthday party. She has perked up a lot and is really looking forward to it. We will have it at the farmhouse the Saturday following Thanksgiving. We are still making menus, etc, but she wants a pineapple cake for her birthday. Of course, we will have at least a couple of others since no one in our family likes bought birthday cake. We are going up in a week or so to do all the cleaning and preparing what can be done ahead since Thanksgiving week will be quite hectic. I hope to be using some of your ideas to make her birthday party a great one.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:55 AM   #47
Head Chef

Moose hunt, taking canned foods.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #48
Senior Cook

A pineapple cake, Licia. I've never had one. It's nice for your mother that you're having this party for her. It gives her something to look forward to.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #49
Senior Cook

licia, will the party be an all day event? a bar-b-que is always great
and there is so many options for a menu which can either be grilled quick or
all day event. and you know the guys will love hanging out around the grill.

how many folks are you inviting?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:01 AM   #50
Master Chef

Pineapple upside down cake! Talk about a real 50s treat! I'm thinking ahead to hubby's 60th birthday in March which will have 50s theme. Anyway, if your mom is anything like my older relatives, you cannot go wrong with buying a good spiral cut ham. It has the advantage of being able to be served hot, room temp, or cold, and can be stretched by including sandwich fixings.