What is your favorite potluck dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pouncermom

Assistant Cook
to bring to a potluck? Our work is having a Pot luck on Wednesday, and I have no idea what to bring.

What do you bring, and what is the recipe?

Thanks everyone!!!

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

sorry, couldn't help it. boy, the guys in my office are looking at me strangely, with the dancing and spinning, and tossing papers in the air...:blush:

(edited: the original title was "your favorite things". just wanted you to know so i don't look crazy, umm, crazier...)

my favorite thing to bring is meatballs and (pork, fennel ) sweet sausages in tomato sauce.

lemme see if i have an exact recipe, brb.

nope, sorry, i don't think i've ever measured what i put into meatballs.
i'll probably be making them again soon, so i'lll have to write them down then.

Last edited:
I bring this to everything.:LOL: If I don't, I get griped at.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/suprising-broccolli-salad-10171.html?highlight=broccolli+salad

And welcome to DC!!
18.gif

I was going to say baked beans too.
Here's my recipe.

Our Favorite Baked Beans

Ingredients:
2 cans S and W baked beans 28 ounces each
1/4 cup brown sugar (can add more)
1/4 cup ketchup
fried chopped bacon with most of the fat removed
amount up to you.. I use about 3/4 of a cup
chopped onion.. amount up to you.. I use about two handfuls...

Directions:
mix all
and bake at 350 until warm.. 30-35 minutes

I also always bring Deviled Eggs.

Sorry... don't really have a recipe.
I just hard boil some eggs
peel
cut in half
remove yolk
and make a mixture from the yolk, mustard and mayo. ( sometimes some finely diced onions or pickles)
Refill the whites and top with
bacon bits or sliced green onions or paprika.

Crockpot Creamed Corn

1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
2 T sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup quick-mixing flour (Wondra)
3-16 oz. packages whole kernel corn
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
other seasonings to taste

In warming crock pot, whisk together milk, cream, sugar, salt and flour until smooth. Add corn and cook on high 3-4 hours.

Personal notes: Depending on your crock (mine seems to run hot) I recommend stirring so the cream does not scorch.
I also have added extra parmesan, or cream cheese for different variations.

I know what you mean about getting griped at texasgirl if you don't bring a "signature" dish. This is the one my dad always requests. It also makes for wonderful family traditions and memories!

shannon in KS said:
Crockpot Creamed Corn

1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
2 T sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup quick-mixing flour (Wondra)
3-16 oz. packages whole kernel corn
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
other seasonings to taste

In warming crock pot, whisk together milk, cream, sugar, salt and flour until smooth. Add corn and cook on high 3-4 hours.

Personal notes: Depending on your crock (mine seems to run hot) I recommend stirring so the cream does not scorch.
I also have added extra parmesan, or cream cheese for different variations.

This sounds wonderful! Frozen corn? As for seasonings, any recommendations outside of maybe some salt and pepper (I put pepper dang near on everything)?

Me thinks I'm gonna try this sometime, if you don't mind my pirating your recipe!

As for bringing something to a pot luck, I've not participated ever. My mom (while I was growing up) made a cheese, chicken and stuffing hot dish/casserole (appropriate term depending on your location). It's very easy, and is easily added or subtracted from depending on the crowd. The recipe below is for a 9" X 13" pan.

5 cooked boneless chicken breasts, diced
10 - 12 slices of your favorite swiss cheese (more if you're like me, a cheese lover)
2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup (any condensed creamed soup would work here, so experiment!)
Your favorite stuffing (enough to cover the whole pan across the top, as deep as you want).

Layer the ingredients in the order mentioned, and bake at about 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Mom cooked it at 300 for the same time, but I like the stuffing a bit crispy so I jacked the temp. Also, you have to consider variations in time due to quantity cooked and actual oven operating temps. Always a big hit. I don't season while cooking because Mirs Big Dog doesn't like much spice. I usually season with salt and a lot of fresh ground pepper (is there any other?) upon serving for me.

Like I said adding & subtracting is easy. Picture how much of each ingredient is needed to cover a full layer of whatever size pan you are using.

Last edited:
pirate away bigdog! As for other seasonings, I have been told by a few friends they added a pinch of cayenne, bacon, seems to be suited to region and whatever your tastes are! Gald to hear you liked the recipe!

Cranberry Cream Cheese Bites:

2 packages mini phyllo cups (freezer section, next to the whipped cream).
Bag of cranberries.
Sugar.
Package cream cheese.

* Prepare the cranberries as directed on the bag (boiled with sugar until they pop). Set aside to cool until they're just warm to the touch.
* Dump all but 1/8 cup of the berries into food processor (or a large bowl).
* Add in cream cheese and blend until smooth. Tasting along the way until desired creaminess/tartness is acheived.
* Drop by rounded spoonful into phyllo cups. Garnish with a drop of the reserved berry mix for decoration.
* Refridgerate until cool.

Easy, quick and impressive.

Back
Top Bottom