"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 10-28-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
What kind of candy do you give out for Halloween?

what kind of candy do you give out at halloween?

do you get many kids?

dw came home with the good stuff from bjs the other day. mini snickers, hershey bars, mars bars, almond and mounds, 3 musketeers, various gummy creatures, mike and ikes, good-n-plenty, razor apples, bazooka bubble gum, mary janes, pixie sticks, twizzlers, milk duds, and junior mints.

we usually get a few dozen kids.

the ones that are too old, or have no costume and just stick out their hand get the apples.

i'm usually loaded with fullly loaded super soakers and modified tip cans of shaving cream for those older kids without costumes nor manners and object to being tricked-not-treated.

so,what's on your menu and expected experience on this night before the day of all saints/samhain?

pronounced "all saints day".

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
Executive Chef
We give the usual stuff. We rarely get kids since I moved into an apartment. There are a few older ladies that sit in the entrance of the building and hand out candies. Nobody gets by them.

Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
Living in a town house condo there are a lot of homes in a small area so we get lots of kids. We buy a big bag of fun-size candy bars from Costco (brand name chocolate bars) - about 150 candies and we run out every year.

My daughter brings my grandson here for trick or treating and I walk around with them while SO mans the front door. The neighborhood kids are cute and it's fun. Later in the evening, van loads of kids from a nearby lower income area flood the area looking for goodies. They get the last of the candy and we turn off our lights.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:00 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
No kids, not worth it for the one or two that might show up. I hand out at work where about three different pre-schools bring their little ones in for treats from the residents.

Oh, I hand out brand name candy bars and laffy taffy.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:05 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
so, you really do give out candy. just not at home.

i was careful to word it to imply but not restrict it to home.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Recently we've had a number of families with little kids move into our subdivision. For years we just had a few kids. Some years we'd also get kids from neighboring subdivisions. We're outside of town, so we've never gotten hoards.

I get what I'd like to eat, the mixed bags of Snickers, Milky Way, chocolate and caramel stuff. I freeze the leftovers, and try to hide them from myself.
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:23 PM   #7
Master Chef
We live in a development. Roughly 70 houses in the newer section of 2 1/2 streets, around a hundred for the older section of three+ streets. A nice, lightly traveled neighborhood with paved streets and some sidewalks. AND we're a border town with CT. Over the line is a lot more rural. Busier roads. No sidewalks. And far-spaced houses. AND right at the beginning of the older section of the neighborhood is a small shopping center with a large, empty parking lot. Last year the neighbor about five doors up counted each and every beggar at their door. 362 trick-or-treaters. We're gonna run out....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-29 00.09.40.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	22107  
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:54 AM   #8
Master Chef
I'm in a small town on the edge of the city limits, we get around 30-40 (at most) little ghosts and goblins on my street. I'm out in one of the boonie neighborhoods that still has streetlights and sidewalks. There's a Halloween community event out at the fairgounds now, so we don't get quite as many trick or treaters.

I just get a few bags of chocolates, fruit chewies, and hope to give it all out before the night is over. LOL

I'm particularly glad that Halloween is on a Friday night this year!
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:13 AM   #9
Master Chef
I live in a security building so the trick or treaters, Easter bunny and Santa Claus don't even bother trying to get in. I don't know how the tooth fairy gets in, but according to the little kid on the first floor he does!

I used to buy a bag or two of Reese's peanut butter cups. The candy eventually went to waist so now I keep a few quarters on hand just in case a goblin stumbles to the door.

Years ago when I lived in a house I would give candy bars to the kids and shots of peppermint schnapps to the proud parents hiding in the bushes. I always made sure that the Reese's peanut butter cups were in the bottom of the candy bowl!

A tip that I used to do on Halloween night. Remove the glass panel from your screen door, keep the door locked and hand the candy through the hole in the door. It keeps the little kids and the towering six footers from trying to come into the house. It also used to startle a few of the little beggars!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:04 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
I live on the second floor of a secured building. Kids don't even bother to ring a bell. Only grandchildren come to show of their costumes to the grandparents.

Next week on the third, shopping in the morning and a doctor's appointment right after for a consultation regarding my swallowing problems. It is going to be a busy day. Not something I am looking forward to. I hate shopping.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote