What main item should I make for Christmas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
I was planning on making a turkey but now that Christmas is getting close I don't really feel like that's what I want to eat. We thought about ham, but we eat ham pretty regularly, so I don't want to go down that road either.

What about a beef tenderloin? I heard they are pretty expensive, is that true? What would I do with it?

Any other ideas would be great too! Thanks!

You need a roast beast of some kind or in ain't Christmas.

We have done small pork tenderloins (feeding 5 people, about the same size as your tribe) with great success. I have a nice recipe if you are interested, cora.

(BTW, I'm fixing a turkey for a change even though it will probably be ridiculously balmy this Christmas cuz dang it, that thing's been in the freezer and needs a change of air.)

What about a seafood sort of stew type thing like my Spicy Fish Stew. You can serve with some rustic bread (I love grilled bread with this with a bit of Hickory hardwood on there for some smokey flavor) and some red wine.

Roast beef sounds wonderful!!!! For the left-overs you can have open-faced roast beef sandwiches. YUM! The recipe I make at Thanksgiving - Peas with Rosemary - comes to mind to go with roast beef.

Are you having other people over or is it just you guys?

A tenderloin is expensive but it's not like any of it will go to waste. Just cut off what you need and freeze the rest. The little round part on the side I grind up for some kinda great hamburgers!!! I make a horseradish crust when I do a tenderloin.

Coincidentally, corazon, as I was reading your post, Rachel Ray was making beef tenderloin. Recipes : Roasted Beef Tenderloin with Roasted Pepper and Black Olive Sauce : Food Network

Yes, it's pricey. It's what filets mignon are before they are cut into filet mignons. I think. Anyway, it's tender (thus the name), no waste, and not the most flavorful cut of meat, in my opinion.

We either have a bone-in prime rib or a pork rib roast for Christmas dinner. None of them are what I'd call economical cuts, but the pork roast is the most affordable. And absolutely delicious, if it's cooked to just 145 internal.

Lee

We are having a ham and a rib roast (with bone in). Since all my family will be here I wanted to be sure everyone has their favorite. Also dd likes to give the bones to her puppies. I have the menu made except for a salad which I haven't been able to decide on but will keep working on that.

I've made Beef Wellington a few times for Christmas and it's always popular. Or a roast pork. Or perhaps a leg of lamb.

Standing rib roast....rack of lamb.....beef tenderloin....leg of lamb....pork loin...

Personally, I prefer roasts with bones in them. Either way, enjoy the feast.

Our traditional Christmas dinner is a whole beef tenderloin and the directions given in the RR article are right on. I rub ours with some spices, be sure it is at room temp, tuck the narrow end of the whole tenderloin under to make the cylinder uniform.
Heat oven to 500*, put in your meat. After 15 minutes reduce heat to 350* for 30 more minutes. I take the temp (horizontally) of the meat. Remove at 125* and tent with foil. It is an absolutely gorgeous rare piece of meat.
It is a very easy thing to fix on a very busy day and feeds many (we usually have 12, and there are leftovers). There is virtually no shrinkage as there is with ribeye or standing rib--hence the relative expense is not as great as it would seem from the price sticker.
I agree that the meat of a filet is not as tasty as a ribeye, but on Christmas Day, it is quite elegant. I am making a port cabernet sauce this year.
This time of year they are even more expensive--as are rib roasts. I shop for a sale during the year and freeze.
And I think this will be the year of Yorkshire pudding, my family's traditional dish on Christmas Day.

I am having the same dilemma. My family is italian so my side wants pasta. DH's side is from southern TX, DH said he will buy a ham if I make pasta:mad: . I thought of prime rib- his parents don't like prime rib - I thought of tenderloin (I also so RR's recipe-yum, and Cora, I have two other stuffed tenderloin recipes that are super easy and very good!) but his parents and mine like it cooked to shoe leather and I refuse to ruin a good piece of meat like that!

Cora, I was thinking a nice big pork roast or a crown pork roast - what do ya think?

Worse case scenario here, I am making stuffed shells with meatballs, sausage and brioccole - and if DH brings home a ham he will be sleeping with it not eating it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom