"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 02-27-2006, 10:36 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
What to serve for a 10 year old Hawaiian party?

We're planning a birthday party for our daughter who will soon turn 10 years old. We'll be having about 12 (9-10 year old) girls as guests and going with a Hawaiian theme. Just wondering what could be served for kids this age that resembles a luau. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:13 AM   #2
Everymom

Are you doing a dinner or just munchies?

If it is munchies you could do fruit skewers and have some different dips for them.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
Contest Winner

What about mock pina coladas? You could get some funky glasses and those little umbrellas. Here is a good (alcohol free!) recipe:

1/2 cup chopped pineapples (fresh or canned) 1/4 cup nonfat milk 1/4 cup water (or more) 2 tablespoons sugar 1 drop rum extract 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract ice cubes

Place everything except for water and ice cubes in blender and blend until combined. Gradually add in water and ice cubes until it reaches desired consistancy.

Other things to serve could be fruit salad, kid kabobs (you could supply skewers and pre-cooked things like ham/chicken cubes, cheese, veggies, dipping sauces, etc. and have the kids each make their own) , BBQ, anything with coconut (coconut shrimp?), hawaiian pizza, macadamia nuts.

Sounds like a really fun party theme! Can I come?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:18 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Love your idea and COME ON OVER Grumblebee. Thanks!!! It's dinner Alix. After being in the pool and dancing in their Hawaiian skirts...LOL..they'll be hungry.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
Everymom

In that case, I would do teriyaki chicken kabobs (you could do beef too if you like) and have the fruit skewers for dessert.

Sounds like fun Dina!
Old 02-27-2006, 11:34 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I'll go with the chicken kabobs too. Amanda's tried some Philipino pork on a stick when we've been to her friend's birthday parties. They have a teriyaki flavor to them. I'm wondering how those are made.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:37 PM   #7
Executive Chef

It depends. Do you want to do Hawaiian cuisine or Pacific Rim cuisine? They are both different and distinct.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:39 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Happy birthday to your daughter!
Have a great party!!!!
Old 02-27-2006, 07:29 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Happy Birthday to your daughter, Dina.

I like the kabob ideas. Don't know how Hawaiian this is but:

Teriyaki turkey burgers, a slice of bacon and a pineapple ring. Barbecued beans as a side.

Tropical smoothies - mango or papya

Coconut ice cream

I know the kids can't have Tequila, but this is a pretty presentation for pineapple, kabobs and rice:

http://cfprod.mccormick.com/foodserv...l.cfm?id=10941

I will look thru my recipes and see what looks interesting.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:10 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Thank you all for your birthday wishes and suggestions. I'm going to incorporate all of your ideas into this party. She's very excited! I'm sticking to Hawaiian Ironchef, and the simpler the better since the guests are 10 year old girls. Just found the cutest hula skirts, bracelets and leis for the girls on Oriental Trading.