"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 03-02-2006, 08:07 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Here's another recipe for you, Dina. This one could be done using a couple Pampered Chef products. I took a pan of these into work this morning. Didn't last long. I LOVE when that happens!

Antipasto Squares

2 (10 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1/4 pound thinly sliced hot capicola ham
1/4 pound thinly sliced provolone cheese
1/4 pound shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/4 pound thinly sliced Genoa salami
1/4 pound thinly sliced pepperoni sausage
1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained, cut into thin strips
3 eggs
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Instructions: 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C).
2. Unroll one package of crescent roll dough, and cover the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan. Layer the ham, provolone cheese, salami, Mozz cheese, pepperoni, and red peppers, on top of the dough.
3. In a bowl, beat the eggs lightly, and stir in the parmesan cheese and black pepper. Pour 3/4 of this mixture over the peppers. Unroll the second package of dough, and place over the top of the peppers. Brush with the remaining egg mixture. Cover with aluminum foil.
4. Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove foil, and bake another 20 - 25 minutes, or until dough is fluffy and golden brown. Cut into squares. Serve warm, or at room temperature.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:56 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
ok, on salads, but not just a bowl of greens: fill some leaves of endive, which are like scoops, with goat cheese blended with fresh herbs, like a boursin cheese (or just use boursin) and finely chopped nuts, others with ricotta and chopped prosciutto or sopressatta, still others with cream cheese and sun dried tomatoes. arrange on a plate in concentric rings, sprinkle with fresh cracked black pepper, and drizzle with a young, flavorful evoo.

man, am i getting hungry.
B.T.; One of the best salads I've ever eaten is a Ceasar's salad made simply of good and fresh Romaine lettuce, sliced sweet onion, and an amazing Ceasar's Salad dressing (found at a little restaurant in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. called North-82), with freshly grated Parmesano Regiano on top. It was served along with steak, and was very refreshing compared to the rich meat flavor. I would expect that something as simple would cleanse the palate of pasta sauces. Also, something like fresh watermellon is wonderfully refreshing, as are orange sections, gelatin, cherry tomatoes, black olives, etc. Look for something light and flavorful, that will contrast, but compliment the pasta and sauce you are using.

Seeeeeya' Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:02 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS
I always serve the old stand-bys with pasta, Italian bread and Salad.
Might be boring but it makes a nice meal.
For dessert, How about cookies.
I'm with you, RMS. Here's a neat salad that I like to serve with pasta.

Ingredients:

sliced fresh mushrooms
canned artichoke hearts, coarsly chopped
green and/or black olives
julienned hard salami
1-2 packets Good Seasons Zesty Italian Dressing, prepared,
OR your own vinaigrette.
grape tomatoes
shredded parmesan, Romano, or other pungent cheese
bag of mixed Italian or other greens of your choice

Directions:

Marinate mushrooms, artichoke hearts, olives and salami for 2 hours at room temperature.
Spoon over greens and top with cheese and grape tomatoes.

For a dessert with something like this, I offer ice cream and/or cookies.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:59 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Thanks Grumblebee! I had to call in sick to work! Argh! My daughter and I are still down with this flu. I'm trying my best to keep the party plans but if we don't feel better by tonight, I'm calling everyone to cancel (as much as I hate to do it). My daughter had already planned how to decorate the dessert plates! She's such a sweetie.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I had to cancel the party you all. I had everything bought for the Italian food show. Darn! Anyhow, it won't go to waste at all in this house. I appreciate all the recipes you've provided to go with pasta entrees. I have jotted everything down and will use them in the future. The kitchen show has been postponed until April 1st and I'm assuming that the menu will be different next month. Thank you all very much.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:15 PM   #36
Master Chef

Well, Shucks. I've had things like that happen too, and it's a bummer.
But I'm like you....nothing goes to waste around here. If I can't freeze it, we eat it. If we have extra, we share with our daughter and her family. Sometimes (OK, often) even our dog benefits.

Old 04-17-2006, 12:22 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

sorry you had to cancel....maybe you can simply reschedule? the question is: are you feeling better??

oh, and an easy, quick side would simply be whole mushrooms, sauteed in butter/garlic, with some homemade mozzarella sticks (baked in oven)....
Old 05-06-2006, 02:52 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

Caesar Salad with Pasta

caesar salad goes well with just about anything. It's great all by itself
Barb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:40 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina
I had to cancel the party you all. I had everything bought for the Italian food show. Darn! Anyhow, it won't go to waste at all in this house. I appreciate all the recipes you've provided to go with pasta entrees. I have jotted everything down and will use them in the future. The kitchen show has been postponed until April 1st and I'm assuming that the menu will be different next month. Thank you all very much.
Dina, how did your kitchen party go? What did you serve? Can't wait for the next theme.