What to serve with pasta entrees?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going with proscuitto wrapped asparagus spears, as Alix suggested, and no longer with the bruschetta since Tiffany will be making pizza (too much bread-I think). I came up with roasted tomato slices, topped with melted mozzarella, EVOO and basil (what's that called anyway?). What do you all think? Should I serve the baby greens salad too, or would that be too much?

I will go with the frutti di bosco tart with fresh berries Bucktom suggested. But I'm certainly not making the tart dough from scratch! I can never do those. And I have tried numerous times, believe me. You think puff pastry would work, or should I get the pie crusts? Thanks for your suggestions ladies.

I'm passing out invitations this weekend. Woohoo! I hope lots of my guests show up. All of you are cordially invited too. If you're interested in ordering online, let me know and I'll pass along the link in which you can order Pampered Chef cookware. March has new items coming!!! I'm excited!!!

Last edited:
Dina said:
I'm going with proscuitto wrapped asparagus spears, as Alix suggested, and no longer with the bruschetta since Tiffany will be making pizza (too much bread-I think). I came up with roasted tomato slices, topped with melted mozzarella, EVOO and basil (what's that called anyway?). What do you all think? Should I serve the baby greens salad too, or would that be too much?

I will go with your frutti di bosco tart with fresh berries Bucktom suggested. But I'm certainly not making the tart dough from scratch! I can never do those. And I have tried numerous times, believe me. You think puff pastry would work, or should I get the pie crusts? Thanks for your suggestions ladies.

I'm passing out invitations this weekend. Woohoo! I hope lots of my guests show up. All of you are cordially invited too. If you're interested in ordering online, let me know and I'll pass along the link in which you can order Pampered Chef cookware. March has new items coming!!! I'm excited!!!

I would serve the baby greens salad as well for the people who may want to eat a little "lighter." It's better to have too much then not enough, right? And you want to provide enough choices for people who may be picky, have special diets, etc.

Your menu sounds lovely... I wish I could come, I'm sure it will be a blast! Have fun. :mrgreen:

DINAAAAAAA! Just noticed your post. Oh, the tomato mozzarella is called Insalata Caprese (sp?). Don't know if it is too late, but here are some ideas:

Antipasti
Caponota
Tiramisu
Italian Cheesecake
Cannoli (I may have a recipe with pistachios or dipped in coffee?)
Aroncini
Ravioli Nudi (naked ravioli - these are sooo good)
Chocolate Biscotti
I have a recipe for an artichoke garlic type bread spread - have to go thru my recipes
Toasted ravioli as an appy - but that may be too much pasta
Mozzarella Martini (have a recipe, haven't tried it. No alcohol - appy)

Here is a link with some great-looking desserts, etc. (I would go with the cheese cake):

http://www.easyitalianrecipes.com/italian-dessert-recipes.html

Forgot one: Hope I can find the recipe - it's an appy of eggplant with a cheese filling - like a rolatini (sp?)

Last edited:
Hi Mish! I'm glad to see you again. And it's not too late for your suggestions - thank you! My Pampered Chef party is on Saturday, March 4th. So Insalata Caprese it is then. I've never made tiramisu or cannoli before and sure would love to try them. I also have an incredible artichoke dip but would love to try yours (if you can post the recipe when you get a chance). I've decided to go with a type of cheese cake with fresh berries for dessert. Gab at ya soon.

Thank you, Dina. :)

Still looking. Your dish sounds way better. BTW, what is a Pampered Chef Party? TIA

I'm being boring, but with pasta I do pretty much what a lot have already said: a big green salad with great olive oil and vinegar. For a first course, I do an intepasto platter; heavier on fresh & pickled vegs (artichoke hearts, peppers, etc) than the salami and cheese. This first course lets the cook, maid, and head bottle-washer to actually sit down and enjoy her company for awhile. For desert, it depends upon the guests. I'm a lazy desert person; definitly not a baker. So if I have sweets lovers, it is ice cream with liquer or something resembling a trifle (layers of cake, liquer, fruit, and whipped cream); for people whose tastes are closer to my own, it is port, fruit, cheese and nuts.

Mish,
A Pampered Chef party is basically a kitchen show to demonstrate how the cookware and kitchen tools work, recipes are prepared using the cookware, etc.

I am so sick today I may even have to cancel the party for Saturday and skip work tomorrow. Blah! I hate flu season.

Dina said:
Mish,
A Pampered Chef party is basically a kitchen show to demonstrate how the cookware and kitchen tools work, recipes are prepared using the cookware, etc.

I am so sick today I may even have to cancel the party for Saturday and skip work tomorrow. Blah! I hate flu season.

Awww... :(

Drink lots of fluids and rest up... maybe you can feel better by Saturday?

Here's another recipe for you, Dina. This one could be done using a couple Pampered Chef products. :) I took a pan of these into work this morning. Didn't last long. I LOVE when that happens!

Antipasto Squares

2 (10 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1/4 pound thinly sliced hot capicola ham
1/4 pound thinly sliced provolone cheese
1/4 pound shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/4 pound thinly sliced Genoa salami
1/4 pound thinly sliced pepperoni sausage
1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained, cut into thin strips
3 eggs
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Instructions: 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C).
2. Unroll one package of crescent roll dough, and cover the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan. Layer the ham, provolone cheese, salami, Mozz cheese, pepperoni, and red peppers, on top of the dough.
3. In a bowl, beat the eggs lightly, and stir in the parmesan cheese and black pepper. Pour 3/4 of this mixture over the peppers. Unroll the second package of dough, and place over the top of the peppers. Brush with the remaining egg mixture. Cover with aluminum foil.
4. Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove foil, and bake another 20 - 25 minutes, or until dough is fluffy and golden brown. Cut into squares. Serve warm, or at room temperature.

buckytom said:
ok, on salads, but not just a bowl of greens: fill some leaves of endive, which are like scoops, with goat cheese blended with fresh herbs, like a boursin cheese (or just use boursin) and finely chopped nuts, others with ricotta and chopped prosciutto or sopressatta, still others with cream cheese and sun dried tomatoes. arrange on a plate in concentric rings, sprinkle with fresh cracked black pepper, and drizzle with a young, flavorful evoo.

man, am i getting hungry.

B.T.; One of the best salads I've ever eaten is a Ceasar's salad made simply of good and fresh Romaine lettuce, sliced sweet onion, and an amazing Ceasar's Salad dressing (found at a little restaurant in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. called North-82), with freshly grated Parmesano Regiano on top. It was served along with steak, and was very refreshing compared to the rich meat flavor. I would expect that something as simple would cleanse the palate of pasta sauces. Also, something like fresh watermellon is wonderfully refreshing, as are orange sections, gelatin, cherry tomatoes, black olives, etc. Look for something light and flavorful, that will contrast, but compliment the pasta and sauce you are using.

Seeeeeya' Goodweed of the North

RMS said:
I always serve the old stand-bys with pasta, Italian bread and Salad.
Might be boring but it makes a nice meal.
For dessert, How about cookies.

I'm with you, RMS. Here's a neat salad that I like to serve with pasta.

Ingredients:

sliced fresh mushrooms
canned artichoke hearts, coarsly chopped
green and/or black olives
julienned hard salami
1-2 packets Good Seasons Zesty Italian Dressing, prepared,
OR your own vinaigrette.
grape tomatoes
shredded parmesan, Romano, or other pungent cheese
bag of mixed Italian or other greens of your choice

Directions:

Marinate mushrooms, artichoke hearts, olives and salami for 2 hours at room temperature.
Spoon over greens and top with cheese and grape tomatoes.

For a dessert with something like this, I offer ice cream and/or cookies.

Thanks Grumblebee! I had to call in sick to work! Argh! My daughter and I are still down with this flu. I'm trying my best to keep the party plans but if we don't feel better by tonight, I'm calling everyone to cancel (as much as I hate to do it). My daughter had already planned how to decorate the dessert plates! She's such a sweetie.

I had to cancel the party you all. I had everything bought for the Italian food show. Darn! :rolleyes: Anyhow, it won't go to waste at all in this house. I appreciate all the recipes you've provided to go with pasta entrees. I have jotted everything down and will use them in the future. The kitchen show has been postponed until April 1st and I'm assuming that the menu will be different next month. Thank you all very much.

Well, Shucks. I've had things like that happen too, and it's a bummer.
But I'm like you....nothing goes to waste around here. If I can't freeze it, we eat it. If we have extra, we share with our daughter and her family. Sometimes (OK, often) even our dog benefits.

:cool:

sorry you had to cancel....maybe you can simply reschedule? the question is: are you feeling better??

oh, and an easy, quick side would simply be whole mushrooms, sauteed in butter/garlic, with some homemade mozzarella sticks (baked in oven)....

Dina said:
I had to cancel the party you all. I had everything bought for the Italian food show. Darn! :rolleyes: Anyhow, it won't go to waste at all in this house. I appreciate all the recipes you've provided to go with pasta entrees. I have jotted everything down and will use them in the future. The kitchen show has been postponed until April 1st and I'm assuming that the menu will be different next month. Thank you all very much.

Dina, how did your kitchen party go? What did you serve? Can't wait for the next theme.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom