"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 04-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #1
Master Chef
What was the last group/party meal you made?

Yesterday was my turn at what we call the Bunch for Brunch. It doesn't have to be what you'd traditionally call brunch food (we exhausted egg and sweets type food after the first year), since we do it at noon one Sunday a month, we can pretty much do what we want. This week was my turn, and I made stuffed cabbage rolls. It was a huge hit, especially since it was a cold, rainy day (real comfort food). I actually was surprised at how much everyone enjoyed it. What have you done recently in the entertaining field of cooking?

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:33 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
We are planning a cioppino dinner for several sets of our friends. It's something we do every year and enjoy.

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
It's been a while now, but I made a paella dinner for friends last fall. I also served a fresh-from-the-garden tomato salad with sherry vinaigrette.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Head Chef
I had six couples over recently. I made muffaletta sandwiches, a huge pasta salad and brownies. We all had a great time, and I wasn't stuck in the kitchen.

I also use my crock pot a lot when cooking for friends.
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
Senior Cook
Posole for 10, with all of the toppings (shredded cabbage, cilantro, avocado, cheese, sour cream) put on the table in Mexican bowls, then homemade tortillas. I brought people into the kitchen to help press tortillas. I made jicama crudites with a sour cream/dill/may/Beau Monde seasoned dip, with fresh strawberries and ice cream for dessert. Oh, and homemade Sangria. It's easy, can all be done ahead of time, and has a theme. And is so crunchy, healthy, and yummy. I don't use the meats tradionally used for posole. I use a trimmed pork loin roast and cube it up myself.
HMGgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Executive Chef
My last time entertaining ( I don't count family in this) wasn't a meal. We had about 25 people over for dessert. I made 4 different desserts plus a huge bowl of sliced strawberries that they could put on pound cake, ice cream, or whatever. We all went to a seafood restaurant before and came back to our house. We had lots of fun and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
Senior Cook
The last time that I cooked for company we had:

Appetizer - Marianted crab fingers with croutons and cheese
I made the marinade with a Ralph & Kacoo's recipe and bought the cleaned/pre-cooked crab claws.

Entree - Deboned stuffed chickens from Hebert's that I cooked. The stuffing is a spicy rice and crawfish etouffe dressing that is very good. Sides were carmelized cipollini onions and roasted asparagus.

Dessert - Chocolate pie or Hershey's kiss/peanut butter cookies made in the mini muffin pans

I like to do build your own fajita too! And, Claire, stuffed cabbage rolls is one of my husband's favorites. I make them the lazy way though.
Cooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
Master Chef
As the chief chef (me) at Park Drive Bar & Grill (my house) I must prepare a feast every Sat for our family and friends.
This weekend features the Pacquaio vs Hatton fight on pay-per-view television so I plan on preparing just finger foods for the most part. Chicken hot wings, for sure, among other items, will be on this Sat.'s menu. :))))
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Easter dinner for 10

leg of lamb, dijon roasted potatoes, basil and garlic roasted tomatoes, roasted asparagus with herbs de provence, tadzikhi,

last week did a Thai red curried goat stew for 6.

Grill roasted with mesquite chips whole chicken on Sunday. just three of us
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
Assistant Cook
I had friends over after work, so I needed something really quick:

I set out a bunch of chopped veggies with hummus, then made a couple different flatbread pizzas using store-bought flatbreads. I did one with chopped sundried tomatoes, the oil they were packages in, spinach, garlic and feta; one with sliced tomatoes, basil and mozzarella; and one with spinach, garlic, olive oil, diced cooked bacon and mozzarella and ricotta.

The cocktails were the real hit - my friends said it was the best cocktail I've made them. I made sparkling white sangria:

1 C peach schnapps
2 C white grape juice
1 bottle white wine
1 C sliced frozen peaches
1 lemon, cut into 1/4-inch slices

I made that the night before and kept it in the fridge, then served it as about 2/3 sangria with 1/3 champagne.

lynseysnatural is offline   Reply With Quote