"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 07-27-2009, 05:44 AM   #1
Master Chef

What was the last party you threw?

I know, I know, I bring up this thread periodically, usually when I'm planning or just threw a major thing. I spent yesterday on the phone, calling my guests. I'm just planning on buying brats and dogs, buns and condiments, and asking everyone to bring typical picnic fare. I'm hoping for good, cooking out weather. I'll pre-boil the brats in beer so that they only need to be browned over the coals. A friend has already volunteered to bring corn on the cob, already boiled and ready to eat. I haven't thrown a real summer party since about 4 years ago when hubby was attacked by a nest of hornets and nearly died. I'm sure as heck hoping for a better outcome this year.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:53 AM   #2
Senior Cook

As I mentioned on a previous thread, I host a themed dinner each Thursday evening for a selection of my friends. For your summer party, instead of the usual hamburger & hot dog fare, you could try something like "Cowboy Chuck Wagon," "Hawiian Luau," "On the Beach Seafood," "Marooned on a deserted Island," (A Cornish game hen could be called "Slow Moving Seagull", or "albatross", or a pork loin could be referred to as "wild boar" - names that would make your guests smile) in the application of your interesting theme. It wouldn't require any decorations, just some thought for you and your friends in what dishes to prepare, and it could be the topic of conversation during the meal. Fun and good food - always a winning combination!

Old 07-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Executive Chef

tonight...a picnic for colleagues. check out tonight's dinner thread.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Master Chef

Arky, I belong to a group (about 7 of us) who do Sunday brunches. The thing is, they wanted them at noon. After a year or so, I got tired of trying to find egg dishes, etc, and started to do the theme thing you mentioned. In recent years I've done, I think, every theme you've mentioned. So I'm back to all-American picnic fare for this particular party!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Hi,
we're having a birthday BBQ on Saturday, hubby cooking slow hand of pork, chickens, inverted burgers, garlic potatoes & salad, everyone else is bringing desserts...weather forcast...heavy rain!! I can't believe it.. you guys have a good one
Old 07-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
We had a party for my wife's 40th birthday this spring. We had an Indian banquet. I made about 6 dishes, along with chutneys and a big stack of parathas. I spent all of the day before preparing most of the food, so it could be heated up for the party. Everything turned out wonderful, and one of her gifts was an autographed dunce-style hat from her favorite Bollywood star.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Head Chef

We had a bday bar'q for my dad 82 birthday, He had a quad bypass in November and getting around quite well so family came in from florida and arizona and had a good time.

by the way i see them in the store all the time - I have never had one or cooked one so what are brats ? What is everyones way of cooking them? Thanks
Old 07-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
I have never had one or cooked one so what are brats ? What is everyones way of cooking them? Thanks
Bratwurst (brat) is a semi-firm German spiced sausage in a natural casing. Many people threat them has you would a hot dog, only slightly larger and in a hoggie bun with mustard.

They can also be used as a suppliment to other ingredients, such as diced potatoes with onions and sliced bratwurst (a casserole).

They're not quite smoky and not hot, but well seasoned.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:47 PM   #9
Head Chef

thanks, now Ill have to try them.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:38 AM   #10
Master Chef

Bratwursts are very, very popular Midwest picnic (many folk of German stock, why so many American beers are brewed in this area) fare. Since I'm doing a lot of them, my plan is to simmer them in beer until they are actually cooked through, then keeping them warm until ready to toss on the coals to brown and get that flavor. I was astonished when some Virginia friends started visiting when we moved here that they, too, had never heard of them. But then, I spent my pre-teen years in Germany, and going for bratwurst and brochen at the basement of Hertie's department store in Wiesbaden was a real treat for my best friend and me.