"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 03-21-2006, 11:32 AM   #11
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to RDG
Lamb for meat. For cakes, look at
Please. I have to punctualize: it's only an example, I'm not interested in it in any way......I've only made a research of images in Google....

RDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:05 PM   #12
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by cara
same in Germany....
or some chicken/turkey..
I'm in Munich. :) Very catholic. ;)

velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:14 PM   #13
Head Chef
Have always wanted to make a bunny for Easter, but someone in our house vetoes it.

The last few years we have been making a fresh ham.

This year may go back to lamb. But then we have to decide whether to do a leg or a rack.

Or maybe a duck.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #14
Master Chef
Holiday Dinner

Holidays are normally just my husband & I, & since he doesn't eat any red meat, I've developed holiday traditions around that.

Thanksgiving is always a free-range organic roast turkey with creamed garlic spinach, some type of stuffing/dressing, plain baked potatoes, & plain baked sweet potatoes.

Christmas always means a roast goose with Port Wine Gravy, butter braised brussels sprouts, Czech bread dumplings, & sauerkraut.

Easter is either a whole smoked turkey or a rotisserie-roasted duck - side dishes are always different depending on which one I make & how I make it.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:12 PM   #15
Master Chef
Like many of you, ham isn't one of my favorites. It's Ok, but just not something wonderful to me. That is, until I prepared a spiral hame on the Webber. I cooked it over a drip pan, with divided beds of coals on either side. The charcoal beds were topped with water soaked apple and maple wood. I let the ham smoke, with all vents half open, for about two hours. I then brushed a honey-mustard glaze all over the ham.

Even my youngest daughter, who normally doesn't like ham, loved this one. It came out so good due to the smoke and honey-mustard glaze that had the chance to penetrate every slice, as the ham was already spiral sliced when it was purchased. It sure change the way I cook ham.

I'm wishing that I had an old, stainless-steel, 45-rpm vinal record holder that I could use to vertically stack ham slices in. This would be a great way to hold ham-steaks for barbecuing. And because the smoke would penetrate the meat so much more quickly than if it was a full-sized ham, cooking time would be minimized.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #16
Senior Cook
VickiQ ~ I can understand why you don't cook on Easter Sunday, you're exhausted!!! What a brunch you manage to "whip up"!! Sounds great!! Roasted lamb shanks are a tradition here. The shanks are roasted in a covered pan, smothered with lots of sliced onions, garlic, herbs, and a little chicken broth. They cook several hours until the meat falls off the bone and are served with polenta, mashed potatoes, rice, or couscous. Glazed carrots, fresh asparagus, a green salad (sometimes a waldorf salad), and of course, stuffed eggs round out the menu. Dessert always has some kind of fresh fruit ~ cheesecake with strawberries or blueberries, or lemon cake with fresh berries and whipped cream.
auntieshelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:42 PM   #17
Senior Cook
I REALLY like the picnic idea. It is something different, fun and family oriented. Now, to come up with a meal that is both easter friendly and picnic friendly.
Mr_Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:46 PM   #18
Quizzie, our Easter dinner is always turkey. It was quite interesting for me to read everyone's different traditional meals, for some reason I always thought everyone did turkey at Easter. Neat ideas here.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:27 PM   #19
Executive Chef
NICE Caine!Cook the easter bunny for the kids.
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:12 AM   #20
Sous Chef
Leg of lamb, garlic mashed potatoes, veggies, and oven chips on the side for the kids who prefer them to mashed potatoes.

There is no love sincerer than the love of food. ~George Bernard Shaw
Jikoni is offline   Reply With Quote