What's a good idea for Easter Sunday Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quizzie

Senior Cook
I have 4 grandkids, and one of their favorite holidays is Easter. I am so tired
of the same old traditional Ham, BBQ, or Roast. How do you celebrate this
holiday?

I have trouble getting my 80-something parents to break from tradition...left up to me, though, I'd like to have some sliced cold turkey, some interesting bread, condiments, deviled eggs, potato salad, angel food cake w/strawberries - and go on a picnic!! But...in reality...we'll probably have ham, asparagus, scalloped potatoes, with some other sides and a dessert. An indoor, sit-down dinner. *sigh*

Roast leg of Lamb

sometimes we load it with garlic and rosemary and oven roast
sometimes we butterfly it, marinate it in evoo, rosemary, onions, garlic, and lemon, and grill it

roasted serve it with roasted potatoes and veggies of your choice. a great pan sauce is easy to make.
grilled it is tradtiional to serve it with a garlic yogurt sauce tzadiki or raita

One could also roast lamb shanks or do them as a curry over spiced rice etc.

many possibilities

Of course there is nothing wrong at all with a fine roast of beef or pork if those meats are your preference.

We get a lamb and bbq it on the spit.
The whole Greek family and all our friends. It's quite the day.
Yummy and fun!

If you want to have a meal for the kids, go with burgers, fries, mac and cheese, and whatever you like for the adults.

We traditionally had a buffet of baked ham, roast beef, potatoe salad, macaroni salad, deviled eggs, other sides that I cannot recall, various cakes and cookies, liquor, beer, wine :)

Last edited:
I'm italian, so we have pasta (but we always have pasta!) and ham. I don't like this, I like one meal or the other, but I have to honor the "uncle", if ya know what I mean!

I don't cook Easter Sunday but, I do have a huge brunch on Palm Sunday.I marinate a turkey,I also make spiral ham,french toast with bananas, strawberries,warm syrup and whipped cream, veggie pies- usually a broccoli with munester and asparagus and sun dried tomato with a combo of mozzarella and feta,scallop potatoes,I pick up some danish from the bakery,some bagels from the bagel store with assorted cream cheeses.Jimmy usually makes eggs to order.This year we won't be doing the belgian waffles as the machine died and I didn't replace it.OF course there's mimosas-lots of mimosas!!!

Have always wanted to make a bunny for Easter, but someone in our house vetoes it.

The last few years we have been making a fresh ham.

This year may go back to lamb. But then we have to decide whether to do a leg or a rack.

Or maybe a duck.

Holiday Dinner

Holidays are normally just my husband & I, & since he doesn't eat any red meat, I've developed holiday traditions around that.

Thanksgiving is always a free-range organic roast turkey with creamed garlic spinach, some type of stuffing/dressing, plain baked potatoes, & plain baked sweet potatoes.

Christmas always means a roast goose with Port Wine Gravy, butter braised brussels sprouts, Czech bread dumplings, & sauerkraut.

Easter is either a whole smoked turkey or a rotisserie-roasted duck - side dishes are always different depending on which one I make & how I make it.

Like many of you, ham isn't one of my favorites. It's Ok, but just not something wonderful to me. That is, until I prepared a spiral hame on the Webber. I cooked it over a drip pan, with divided beds of coals on either side. The charcoal beds were topped with water soaked apple and maple wood. I let the ham smoke, with all vents half open, for about two hours. I then brushed a honey-mustard glaze all over the ham.

Even my youngest daughter, who normally doesn't like ham, loved this one. It came out so good due to the smoke and honey-mustard glaze that had the chance to penetrate every slice, as the ham was already spiral sliced when it was purchased. It sure change the way I cook ham.

I'm wishing that I had an old, stainless-steel, 45-rpm vinal record holder that I could use to vertically stack ham slices in. This would be a great way to hold ham-steaks for barbecuing. And because the smoke would penetrate the meat so much more quickly than if it was a full-sized ham, cooking time would be minimized.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

VickiQ ~ I can understand why you don't cook on Easter Sunday, you're exhausted!!! What a brunch you manage to "whip up"!! Sounds great!! Roasted lamb shanks are a tradition here. The shanks are roasted in a covered pan, smothered with lots of sliced onions, garlic, herbs, and a little chicken broth. They cook several hours until the meat falls off the bone and are served with polenta, mashed potatoes, rice, or couscous. Glazed carrots, fresh asparagus, a green salad (sometimes a waldorf salad), and of course, stuffed eggs round out the menu. Dessert always has some kind of fresh fruit ~ cheesecake with strawberries or blueberries, or lemon cake with fresh berries and whipped cream.

Last edited:
I REALLY like the picnic idea. It is something different, fun and family oriented. Now, to come up with a meal that is both easter friendly and picnic friendly.

Quizzie, our Easter dinner is always turkey. It was quite interesting for me to read everyone's different traditional meals, for some reason I always thought everyone did turkey at Easter. Neat ideas here.

Back
Top Bottom