"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 01-25-2007, 08:22 PM   #21
Head Chef

Tilly, yes, please, I would like the recipe. Also, how is the tenderloin cut and pounded, in order to get those huge rounds in the pictures?

Thanks!

Lee

Old 01-25-2007, 10:45 PM   #22
Cook

Paul Prudhomme's Seasoned America has two recipes from Indiana.
Amish onion cake.
Dutch cabbage rolls.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:05 AM   #23
Master Chef

Just make sure the tenderloins are as big as your head in regards to size.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:24 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

I don't recall his tenderloins being that round and thin--they were pounded some what but just hung out over the bun.
THIS recipe makes the best onion rings you will ever eat and he also would boil chicken--let it cool and then dip it in the batter and fry it---

1 cup flour
1 cup milk
one egg
1 tsp baking powder

mix lightly coat and fry
have a good party.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:15 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

I've lived in Indiana for 17 years and have never seen a pork tenderloin san at any restaurant around! We're near chicago and local favorites are pirogi (sp), pulled or bbq pork sans, lemon rice soup, and gyros. I have noticed corn is the big thing at church fishfry's and county fairs.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:19 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
Indy has never known what a professional sports championship game was like, so they never created a signature dish!

This coming from a guy that is rooting for the Colts!

I did a quick Google search of indianapolis indiana signature dishes and came up with two. The most popular was pork tenderloin sandwiches (floured and fried), followed by corn on the cob with a vat (crockpot) of melted butter to dunk in before consumtion (sp?).
Corn on the cob and pork are exactly what I was thinking of...like Illinois, Indiana grows a lot of corn and hogs!

Kim's Breaded Pork Cutlets

6-8 boneless pork loin chops, cut about 3/8" thick
2-4 eggs, beaten with a little milk
flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
canola oil for frying

Pound chops with meat mallet to thickness of 1/4". Season both sides with salt and pepper. Dredge in seasoned flour, dip in egg, then back into seasoned flour. Heat 1-1/2" cooking oil in electric skillet to temperature of 350 degrees. Put chops in skillet, set lid askew on pan, and let cutlets brown on one side without turning. When golden, turn and continue cooking until other side is golden.
Remove to paper towels and drain thoroughly.
We serve them on a good fresh bakery bun (or even plain old white bread) with catsup. They're also great with mashed potatoes and cream gravy, as you would do with chicken fried steak.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:14 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
Tilly, yes, please, I would like the recipe. Also, how is the tenderloin cut and pounded, in order to get those huge rounds in the pictures?

Thanks!

Lee
QSis and all,

This is what you need to know.

http://www.porktenderloinsandwich.com

http://web.mac.com/davydd/iWeb/Site/BPT_Tutorial.html

http://web.mac.com/davydd/iWeb/Site/...C5AACCA5E.html

The breaded pork tenderloin sandwich is the signature food of Indianapolis as far as I am concerned. Any restaurant that features sandwiches in Indianapolis will generally have a breaded pork tenderloin.

sherin65,

Near Chicago they do get rare for what reason I do not know because they are everywhere else in Indiana, outstate Illinois and Iowa. Maybe that's good. Chicago can't horn in on and claim Indianapolis' food.

Tune in Sunday night and I will have news of what to do for the Super Bowl with breaded pork tenderloins.

Just so you know what they are. Here...

Muldoon's in Carmel, IN Tenderloin
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
BigDog, pork tenderloin sandwiches is the definitive answer - thanks a million! From the looks of the pictures in the link, they slice and pound out the slices (or else they have HUGE hogs in Indiana!)
Oh, man... I had forgotten about pork tenderloin sandwiches. Without a doubt, they are a hoosier treat. My mother tells a story that when she was a little girl in the 40's (my family is in the southern part near Bloomington), she and her sister would sit outside this particular bar door until the owner would bribe them to go away with a pork tenderloin sandwich.

But beans and cornbread were a staple for our family growing up, so that reminds ME most of Indiana.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:29 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

Beans and cornbread were definitely a staple in Indiana. I also grew up on boiled chicken and dumplings which seemed to be a weekly Sunday dinner. That was also a different era.

But you know, I am thinking the only reason anyone is asking about Indianapolis food right now is because of the Super Bowl and parties and I think I have just the right idea. I just got back from a shopping trip to prepare. We are actually going to have our party early tomorrow because my wife, the home care nurse, will have duty next weekend and I can relax and just watch the game.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
But you know, I am thinking the only reason anyone is asking about Indianapolis food right now is because of the Super Bowl and parties ...
Uh, well yeah, Davy

Great links, great photos and instructions! Thank you!

Good luck in the Superbowl!

Lee