"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 01-22-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
Master Chef

What's Indianapolis known for, food-wise? (merged)

I'm planning a Super Bowl party.
I'd like to feature a regional dish from both cities............
If I can find "sport" peppers, I'll build Chicago-style hot dogs for my guests, BUT.............
I'm at a total loss when it comes to Indianapolis..............Ideas???

I must admit I was hoping it would be New Orleans and New England--- Would have been Easy!!

Old 01-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytrim
...I must admit I was hoping it would be New Orleans and New England--- Would have been Easy!!

...yeah, me too.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Sizz, I think you need to take a bow in here. I know you're not from Indy, but besides an old boyfriend of mine who does not post on this board, you are all we've got from Indiana, as far as I know!
Old 01-22-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

I grew up in Indiana but that was years ago. YEARS AGO. I have no idea what would be football party fair these days. baked beans? macroni salad? potato salad? slloppy joes?
I tried.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:39 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytrim
I'm planning a Super Bowl party.
I'd like to feature a regional dish from both cities............
If I can find "sport" peppers, I'll build Chicago-style hot dogs for my guests, BUT.............
I'm at a total loss when it comes to Indianapolis..............Ideas???

I must admit I was hoping it would be New Orleans and New England--- Would have been Easy!!
Indy has never known what a professional sports championship game was like, so they never created a signature dish!

This coming from a guy that is rooting for the Colts!

I did a quick Google search of indianapolis indiana signature dishes and came up with two. The most popular was pork tenderloin sandwiches (floured and fried), followed by corn on the cob with a vat (crockpot) of melted butter to dunk in before consumtion (sp?).

This is the link to where I got the information. I do not support the site, nor am I promoting the site for anything more then providing the answer to our question.

eG Forums -> Signature Indiana (or Indianapolis) dishes
Old 01-23-2007, 07:13 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

I suppose my suggestions were more in tune with "favorite foods" of days gone by. Have wings, you can never go wrong with wings, even if they are a Buffalo New York dish.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:33 AM   #7
Executive Chef

not sports minded here, but what does Indianapolis have to do with this?? I have much Hoosier blood in me, and all I can say is, GOOD LUCK, coming up with any regional dishes. Nothing comes to my mind.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I've lived in Indiana my whole life, but being so near to Chicago has left me familiar with Chicago's regional dishes. Your best bet will be something with corn... I've got to say that if Indiana does have a signature dish, its corn on the cob, dipped in butter, and lightly salted. You might be able to get away with popcorn, since Orville-Redenbacker started his business in Valparaiso, IN.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:19 AM   #9
Executive Chef

corn fritters with dipping sauce (not unlike a hush puppy, but no onion and sweet with sugar)

bite size mini burgers (make em beef or meatloaf)

fish tails (again bite size pieces fresh water fish fried up) with dipping stuff

pork tenderloin milanese (slightly pounded pork tenderloin, flour, egg, crumbed, fried.) serve on rolls or buns with steak sauce or ketchup or ???

all these are mid west faves Minn, parts of Il, and Indy areas.

mac salad, pot salad, cole slaw...sure enough for a party!

(If you were in Wisc, you'd have to have cheese curds.)
Old 01-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
Master Chef

Lived all around the midwest, including in Indianapolis (and preceded College Chef at IU by a few years) and have had fish fries and Maidrites and sliders and brats and chili 3 ways but nothing particular to Indy comes to mind......

When I think of Nap Town, I think of TGI Fridays.

Though I was once there maybe 15 years ago when they supposedly unveiled the world's largest cheese sandwich in Monument Circle. SO my vote will be for a cheese sandwiches.