What's on your menu for Thanksgiving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RMS

Sous Chef
Besides turkey, of course.:)

It's only going to be us this year so I'm not going too crazy just the usual stuffing, mashed potatoes, marshmallow topped sweet potatoes, candy-glazed carrots, cranberry sauce, bisquits and gravy.

:) What ever the MIL makes. I'm sure it'll be turkey, mashed potatoes, a few salads, olives, feta, pita, and apple, pumkin pie and cheese cake and ice cream and cookies.:chef::chef::chef:

Turkey
Ham
Dressing
Mashed potatoes
Giblet gravy
Broccoli salad
Cranberry sauce
Sweet potatoes
Green bean casserole
Cheesy corn casserole
Green salad
Relish Tray
Dinner rolls
Chocolate pie
Banana pudding
Pumpkin log

Other things might make there way there too. Never know with me.

We just made the filling for our ravioli today, tomorrow we pick up 10 feet of dough and then we will make the ravs, freeze on cookie sheets then put in zip lock baggies til the water boils on Turkey day :LOL: Sat. make the meat sauce and freeze that night, Also on sat I want to give making the bread for my stuffing myself just for the heck of it..I also the day before thanksgiving have to par-boil some yellow onion to stuff, stuffing all made and frozen (sigh):LOL: so the line up is
turkey,stuffing, ravioli and sauce, artichokes with parsley and garlic, homemade cranberry sauce, mashed taters and gravey, spinach salad, fruit salad, foccacia, salami, copa, cheese, appies not sure how many or the type yet...homemade rolls, pumpkin pie, mincemeat pie, chocolate pie, cream puffs..I know we are all nuts :ROFLMAO: Thank heavens the girls and youngest son and pitching in to help...
kadesma, I think I've forgotten some things, but oh well..:ROFLMAO:

I've never made my own ravioli but would love to try. Being from NY I miss the good stuff that I used to be able to buy on almost every corner.
I do make my own manicotti shells. (so much better when homemade) If we were having company I would probably add them to the menu.

All of your menu's sound wonderful!

Well, we finally talked about Thanksgiving last night.:rolleyes: There's just going to be 6 or 7 of us this year. I guess I need to start thinking about what to have. So far I've planned on, turkey, dressing, gravy, some sort of sweet potatoes, green bean cass., pineapple cass., mac & cheese, giblet gravy, rolls, & probably pumpkin crunch cake for dessert.

Crewsk, I just printed out your pumpking crunch cake - I'm going to make it sometime this week, I hope.

kadesma said:
We just made the filling for our ravioli today, tomorrow we pick up 10 feet of dough and then we will make the ravs, freeze on cookie sheets then put in zip lock baggies til the water boils on Turkey day :LOL: Sat. make the meat sauce and freeze that night, Also on sat I want to give making the bread for my stuffing myself just for the heck of it..I also the day before thanksgiving have to par-boil some yellow onion to stuff, stuffing all made and frozen (sigh):LOL: so the line up is
turkey,stuffing, ravioli and sauce, artichokes with parsley and garlic, homemade cranberry sauce, mashed taters and gravey, spinach salad, fruit salad, foccacia, salami, copa, cheese, appies not sure how many or the type yet...homemade rolls, pumpkin pie, mincemeat pie, chocolate pie, cream puffs..I know we are all nuts :ROFLMAO: Thank heavens the girls and youngest son and pitching in to help...
kadesma, I think I've forgotten some things, but oh well..:ROFLMAO:

As always, I will be going to kadesma's house for dinner. Sounds so delicious.

We will be having brined turkey and gravy. Mashed pots, crans, homemade cheddar & black pepper rolls, red chile (a must for a new mexican thanksgiving, dh uses red chile sauce instead of gravy),stuffing, and my to-die-for broccoli rice casserole (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f20/die-broccoli-rice-casserole-16669.html#post192810). Some kind of dessert but I haven't decided what yet. mmm I can't wait.

Last edited:
corazon90 said:
As always, I will be going to kadesma's house for dinner. Sounds so delicious.

We will be having brined turkey and gravy. Mashed pots, crans, homemade cheddar & black pepper rolls, red chile (a must for a new mexican thanksgiving, dh uses red chile sauce instead of gravy),stuffing, and my to-die-for broccoli rice casserole (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f20/die-broccoli-rice-casserole-16669.html#post192810). Some kind of dessert but I haven't decided what yet. mmm I can't wait.
The door is always open:) I'm not much of a baker, but I made the Fresh Apple Cake Constance posted, it has a cream cheese and butter frosting..My family just loved it and it was so easy the taste was wonderful...
kadesma

Every year DH says we're running away for Turkey Day but I just can't bear that!

We'll have (probably just for DH and me and MIL and Auntie):

a BIG turkey because I don't know how to cook any other kind - stuffed with everything I can think of - I think I posted my dressing "recipe".
Sweet potatoes WITHOUT MARSHMALLOWS!

Peas and pearl onions in butter sauce

Mashed potatoes and turkey gravy

Homemade cranberry sauce

...thinking about that "to die for broccoli casserole"

Mince Meat Bits, Pumpkin Pie and whatever other desert MIL brings.

This IS my favorite holiday!

Hugs and happy Turkey Day to all of my dear friends at DC!

I made something yesterday that turned out very well. We were having a dinner at church last night - the turkey and dressing was furnished, but we brought side dishes. Since many of the people are old and don't cook much anymore, I ususally take at least 2 dishes, but last night took 3. I made a large pot of fresh green beans, a flan, but the one I hadn't made before was a sweet potato dish. I knew there would be lots of casseroles so I baked the sweet potatoes, then made a glaze of maple syrup, butter and chopped pecans. I cooked the sauce for a few minutes til it thickened somewhat then added the potatoes and glazed them - and let them soak up the mixture. I didn't have a shred left. I'm going to make them again soon for my family.

licia said:
I made something yesterday that turned out very well. We were having a dinner at church last night - the turkey and dressing was furnished, but we brought side dishes. Since many of the people are old and don't cook much anymore, I ususally take at least 2 dishes, but last night took 3. I made a large pot of fresh green beans, a flan, but the one I hadn't made before was a sweet potato dish. I knew there would be lots of casseroles so I baked the sweet potatoes, then made a glaze of maple syrup, butter and chopped pecans. I cooked the sauce for a few minutes til it thickened somewhat then added the potatoes and glazed them - and let them soak up the mixture. I didn't have a shred left. I'm going to make them again soon for my family.
Great idea licia, I'm not much for marshmallows but love maple syrup and pecans..I've thought about some sweet potatoes for thanksgiving, but didn't quite know what I wanted to do..Think I'll try your casserole it sound really gret... Thanks for the idea.
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom