"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 10-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #11
Master Chef

I wouldn't attempt a meal like that without servants, way too much jumpin' up and down for me!

When I did have people in it was usually a few nibbles, drinks, drinks, drinks, a salad, lasagna, Italian bread, a scoop of ice cream with a cookie or two from Pepperidge Farms, coffee, drinks, drinks and drinks!

We have a couple of restaurants in the area that still serve those elaborate meals, this is one example.

The Horned Dorset Inn

Old 10-01-2016, 10:10 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Yeah - Italian dinner parties are serious stuff - even though the portions are more like tasting portions. You can imagine why the handiest wedding a bride can have is 'Silver Spoon'. But that's the way it is here, and if you can walk to the door when you get up to leave you're lucky. Piedmont, where we live, is the worst, and the Mrs' reputation is at stake well. Very often, the wives join forces, especially for the Harvest Festival celebrations (Here we celebrate the bringing in of a good vintage), and those are really impressive. The one big challenge is the preparation. Nowadays, the wives have the advantage of freezers, so a lot of it can be done ahead of the day, even if your kitchen is small because your apartment is small if you live in a town or city. More and more wives bring a dish to the party.
Strangely enough, these get-togethers are very nice and very convivial. Most of the guests have to stay seated to let the others dish up, and at the end all the wives help with the washing up even if it's just stacking the dishwasher. The conversation's good too. There's always a good laugh to be had. I do one dinner party a year. Very often, the alternative to a dinner like that is good salami, good wine and good bread, but that's not formal. You can understand, though, why these smaller get togethers have a certain appeal!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Old 10-01-2016, 11:48 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I remember a million years ago when my parents had dinner parties. It would be drinks first with a choice of things on crackers that were simple but tasty. The main course was generally a standing rib roast, Yorkshire pudding, and a couple of veggies t hat were not memorable. Dessert was apple crisp. The roast and apple crisp were always good. Sometimes the Yorkshire pudding did right and sometimes it was flat. Our guests didn't know what it was supposed to be like and it wasn't bad even when it came out flat. My dad would come out with the big carving knife and fork and a steel, make a show of steeling the knife, and carve up the roast.

I don't live like that, nor would I want to. A good dinner party to me is a crawfish boil or burgers and dogs on the grill.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:02 AM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I don't think I've ever had a real dinner party, most dinners are for family and the holidays. Everyone brings what they like and we share, more like a pot luck.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:42 AM   #15
Master Chef

Wow, di, that sounds like something! As in, I might be OK as a guest, but please don't ask me to host!

The only formal dinners I've ever been to involved gifts. As in, weddings. And even some of the weddings weren't as formal as dining out when attending one of Himself's company Christmas parties. But there was that ONE time we were a substitute couple at a Dining Club meeting my best friend back home (BFBH) roped us into...........

Personally, I've never hosted one. The closest was the entire family around one table at Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. And since everything was family style, everything but dessert was on the table at the beginning of the meal.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:43 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Enough dishes, well I can tell you we manage to feed 70+ people while only having 22 plates, not all came in the same time. As soon as some one cleared thier plate we took it and cleaned it, repeat for forks, knifes and every else. I stood with my hands in a sink for 4 hours.

Best part, the sister to the birthday man ( he was 50 so, no boy) said Oh I didnt realized my brother had that many plates. So I guess no one notice at all that the plates where reused.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:54 AM   #17
Head Chef

I did a couple, once for 4, once for 6 people before Craig and had enough dishes due to having access to my mother's full service for 8 china, including 4 plate sizes, 3 bowl sizes, chargers, plus a plethora of serving dishes, and I was gifted upon first marriage a full set of silverware for 8 with all the different forks, spoons, knives, etc. Mother also had a pretty decent set of glassware for the china. Obviously was much younger then. Don't think I'd have the stamina to do it now, even with making stuff ahead. And I agree with whoever mentioned having help for something like that. I'd hire a high school kid and teach them how to serve if nothing else.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:29 AM   #18
Sous Chef

I guess it takes a village to prepare a dinner!

That would never work for us. I wear the apron in the house (figure of speech - I don't actually wear an apron, as it looks too girly), so I wouldn't fit in with the wives.

When we have people over for dinner, it's no more than two or three other couples. Usually someone volunteers for an appetizer or a dessert. I try to choose a menu where I can have pretty much everything done in advance so I can spend time with our guests. Usually fairly simple and healthy. For example, when we had some of our bike riding friends over a couple of weeks ago for a coastal ride, I had marinated chicken thighs ready to go on the grill (a 10 minute job), pasta salad and green salad on the side. Friends brought the appetizer (cheese and fruit), and we passed on dessert. Didn't skimp on the wine, though.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:24 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Enough dishes, well I can tell you we manage to feed 70+ people while only having 22 plates, not all came in the same time. As soon as some one cleared thier plate we took it and cleaned it, repeat for forks, knifes and every else. I stood with my hands in a sink for 4 hours.

Best part, the sister to the birthday man ( he was 50 so, no boy) said Oh I didnt realized my brother had that many plates. So I guess no one notice at all that the plates where reused.
That works for a buffet, but not for a sit-down dinner with up to nine courses.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:36 AM   #20
Sous Chef

GotGarlic: It was sit down dinner but only 3 courses...

Tags
dinner, menu, party