What's the normal dinner party menu where you live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GotGarlic: It was sit down dinner but only 3 courses...

A sit-down dinner for over 70 people who are not all there at the same time, while (presumably) the host spends the whole time in the kitchen washing dishes? That's not my idea of a dinner party. It's more like a pop-up restaurant ;)

Oh I wasnt the host, I was one of the guest -ish since the host was sort of related to us . So I just stood and did dishes while the rest of, the children + partners of the host ran back and forth with plates and entertained the guest. It worked out so well that no one noticed that not all ate at the same time. But man was my hands was sore, I did get some good drinks into me, because I had the bartender behind me.

A sit-down dinner for over 70 people who are not all there at the same time, while (presumably) the host spends the whole time in the kitchen washing dishes? That's not my idea of a dinner party. It's more like a pop-up restaurant ;)

Too much like work!:(

My dinner parties have always been casual. I like to plan and prepare the dishes myself so no one has to bring anything. It's usually a bit of nibbles with drinks, a main course and dessert. WE, and none of our friends, are up to all that preparation, etc. that would have to happen in making a 3-5 course meal. It's the company not the show.

I've never done anything other than pot-lucks, but that 6-7 course meal sounds amazing! I need to move to Italy!

BTW: I would loooove to try something like that here. I'm obsessed with cooking, and I always cook more food than DH and I can eat. I would love to try making at least 4 courses for 4-6 people.

But alas, the fancy dinner parties are a thing of the past. Even fancy chefs (which Vegas has plenty of) don't want to do elaborate dinner parties but would rather do take-out pizza or BBQ.

We're so used to these dinner parties we don't think twice about them. I love it when I do them, and it's all a part of Piedmontese culture. They are hard work but in Piedmont they're in the blood and part of the culture, and it's very satisfying to see our guests nejoy themselves, be it the conversation or whatever else. I love to see my guests enjoy the food, the company and the conversation, and I love going to the dinner parties our friends do as well. It's a tradition I'll keep up with until I really am over the hill!

di reston

enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom