"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 10-01-2016, 02:00 PM   #1
Senior Cook

What's the normal dinner party menu where you live?

When I lived in England, we usually served three - four courses. Typically, they would be:

Appetiser - nibbles with drinks
Hors d'Oevres - first course, typically a smoked salmon dish First course - stuffed mushrooms, soufflè and such like
Second course - some kind of grand style of main course dish
like Chateaubriand etc
A dessert designed to balance out the rest of the menu.

Where I live now, it's a nightmare. They're all brilliant cooks, and the tradition is 6 + courses, so we would start with something like:

Aperitivo. Vital. Cocktails and Martini' s and the like with nibbles (frittata (Spanish style omelette cut into small pieces and spiked with the obligatory toothpick, bruschette of several types, baked savouries and so on). Vital because Piedmont is the home of apertif drinks like Martini.

Antipasto: Chicken and vegetables in aspic (for example)
First course: Veal tongue with salsa verde
2nd course: Consommè of chicken
3rd course: veal in tuna fish sauce
4th:course:either fish risotto or something like gnocchi with Bolognese sauce
5th course: Brasato al Barolo (Braised topside of beef marinated in Barolo wine)
6th course: selection of cheeses
7th course: a dessert such as Piedmontese 'Bunet', a dessert made from
amaretti, cocao, whipped egg whites, brandy and milk
Finally, after-dinner drinks!
The custom is that all the wives of those invited turn up on the day and set to preparing it all.

You wouldn't find that in the Italy's cities. It's very much a country tradition. The problem is, that it ends up as being the meal for the week, but all that's compensated by the feeling of togetherness that you don't really get in the city.

I'm not really expecting any contributions to this, but I just wanted to share this experience with you, I suppose it's like you're 'pot luck' (is that right?)

Old 10-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Well here it is very informal, like grab pizza and if some one makes dinner and it not new year it is one dish and dessert, finer dinner is three.

We are more known for our fika, which is 7 bite sized cookies, 1 soft roll, one cake with no icing and then a cake with filling and icing, if you want to be really posh and old fashion and it should be home baked . And coffee or tea of course.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:11 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What's the normal dinner party menu where you live?

Gah! I'm wiping sweat off my face as I read this, Di! You guys really put on the dog!

With our potlucks here, everyone just brings a fave dish, like 7 layer salad, cocktail weenies in sauce, mac and cheese, etc.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #4
Master Chef

Where I'm at, anything goes....
Anything that has number of courses attached to it gets a bit formal for my taste.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:26 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Every dinner party we have thrown has been very casual. Its how we grew up. Most often it revolves around holidays. Even though Karen and I like to go out to more formal dining and indulging in good wine, our parties tend to be beer and cocktail affairs.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:43 PM   #6
Master Chef

Casual here. With an average of 300 days of sunshine a year, 90% of the time it's an outdoor grilling get-together. Often others will bring a dish - usually some kind of veggie or pasta salad, maybe some fruit, rolls, dessert, etc.

Sometimes even Thanksgiving and/or Christmas dinners are based on outdoor cooking.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:54 PM   #7
Wine Guy

Most are casual, but I've done a few that were somewhat formal. No more than five courses, though, and usually three or four. Six seems excessive.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:29 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Oh I totally forgot Smörgåsbord and gående bord. Our version buffet, those we do for midsummer, birthday, Christmas, Easter and bigger events with a lot of people. I do gående bord for Christmas.

Smörgåsbord, is just a lot of sandwich stuff and different breads and Gående bord is a buffet means walking table.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:24 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

We haven't had dinner parties with more than one other couple in quite some time, since I got really sick in 2007. We have had all kinds - buffets where I cooked almost everything, potluck buffets, outdoor grilling with salads, etc., more formal sit-down dinners with at most three courses (appetizer or meat/cheese/fruit/crackers tray with cocktails, main dish with sides and wine or beer, dessert), and holiday dinners where everyone brings something or helps cook.

The Italian version sounds seriously excessive. With the aperitivo and antipasto preceding the first course, your list actually adds up to nine courses! I don't even have that many dishes, or space to store them! Sounds like a holdover from the days of the noblemen
Old 10-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

As GG stated, I wouldn't have enough dishes either. The guests would have to donate their hubcaps.

Tags
dinner, menu, party