"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 10-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm still planning for Halloween. Then comes Thanksgiving. AFTER THANKSGIVING is when you start planning for Christmas. It's the law.
There were hot cross buns on sale in Tesco last week. (Hot X buns = Easter speciality, for consumption on Good Friday.) When I was a girl, Good Friday was the only day of the year they were available!

Old 10-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
HC, me and the fam will be in sunny Las Vegas on Christmas Day. You are welcome to come join us! Not a single evergreen or red-suited fat man in sight.
hmmmm...and with you there the booze is bound to be good....starting to sound more & more like a plan to me steve...!!

Old 10-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
Head Chef

We have Halloween , Bonfire Night then Christmas so I suppose officially we can start planning after Bommy Night .
Old 10-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalWriter View Post
I'm asking because on Monday I picked up Good Housekeeping Christmas 2013 magazine, which contains a lot of very nice recipes.

My family already thinks I'm nuts as I've just finished a deep clean of the kitchen.

So is end of Oct, beginning of Nov. Too early to think about it? but considering a small number of the recipes can be made in advance.
I've made my mincemeat and I'm in the middle of my mammoth pudding making. I have a goose in the freezer (because it was less expensive than buying it nearer Christmas).

I always buy the presents when I see them because you can bet your bottom dollar that when you actively go Christmas shopping the shop will have run out of whatever it was you saw 3 or 4 months ago. Consequently I have all but one of the family ones. One of my male relatives is getting socks, which sounds depressingly un-enterprising except it's a special request and they're knitted by my own fair hand.

We've always had a bit of a tradition in the family that hand-made presents are worth more than even the most expensive store bought gift so those of us with a skill and the time to do it produced food gifts or knitted garments or whatever their skill was. My aunt, a skilled dress-maker, used to make me a dress every year and I still remember an old gold coloured dress with the most intricate hand embroidered smockiig when I was about 4 years old. And one of my uncles had been very ill and while convalescing he made me a beautiful dutch doll from felt. I've still got it and I think of Uncle Jack whenever I look at it. I often make up hampers of home-made goodies - c/pudding, a game terrine, a fruit cake, home-made jam, marmalade, chutneys and pickles, shortbread and things like that. Not this year though. The move and work on the house has scuppered that.

If it's a major operation with the whole family in attendance then getting as much as possible out of the way beforehand is sensible. The organiser of Christmas doesn't want to be dead on his/her feet come the big day.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Which reminds me. I was at the old house the other day sorting out cupboards to bring stuff over to the new house and on the top shelf in the kitchen I found a 4 pint jar of home-made blackberry liqueur. Must be about 3 years old. Took the top off and sniffed (a technical method of checking for quality ) and it smelled very heady. Should be good. I'll take it to my aunt's as an offering for Christmas Day.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I'm still planning for Halloween. Then comes Thanksgiving. AFTER THANKSGIVING is when you start planning for Christmas. It's the law.
You're part right.
After Thanksgiving and after my birthday, but before Christmas is when you start planning for Christmas... unless your Russian, then you can take a few more weeks
Old 10-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #17
Master Chef

I've started buying odds and ends of groceries for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Eve. It is sort of a holdover from when I was a kid. My Mother and my Grandmother would begin sneaking a few items into the grocery cart each week so the cost of the holidays was more manageable. As far as presents go, those are pretty much a thing of the past for me, a few cash envelopes, a couple bottles of booze and I'm done.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #18
Sous Chef

No, that's not too early. When it works for you is when you should start. I've started on my Christmas stuff already and there's not much to it. It's all slo-mo and enjoyable, right down to the simple potato soup on Christmas Eve.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:

I think it should be the law too.

"Not a single evergreen or red-suited fat man in sight. "

I can understand the evergreens but you need the red-suited fat man.

I'll fight .40 cal. for title of Grinch.

Haven't done Christmas this century.

But if you're into it then you should start Dec. 26th.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I plan for Christmas all year long.

But it's only the Christmas meal I plan for and a food type gift for my neighbors.

We no longer do the gift thing but we do decorate the outside of our house with all kinds of lights and characters and music.

Inside we sometimes put up a tree and sometimes not.

But the food is always a big deal so it's an all the time thought.