Who is having a non-turkey Thanksgiving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just picked up some fresh Oysters this evening and some local shrimp. I'm thinking of Steaming the oysters and having Shrimp Alfredo on angel hair pasta on Turkey Day. I'm not sure what veggie. Maybe Grilled Asparagus.

A man after my own heart. If I have oysters, I'd NEVER put them in stuffing. I'd make oyster stew!:chef:

Thanksgiving Thursday with the in-law side of the family will be Norman Rockwell all the way. Roast Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce. Wines in crystal goblets and fine china from serving vessels down to place settings.

Thanksgiving Friday with Texas side of the family will center around smoked baby back ribs. Paper plates and iced-tea.

Thanksgiving Thursday with the in-law side of the family will be Norman Rockwell all the way. Roast Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce. Wines in crystal goblets and fine china from serving vessels down to place settings.

Thanksgiving Friday with Texas side of the family will center around smoked baby back ribs. Paper plates and iced-tea.

so, in other words, .40, you'll be having the best of both worlds....:)

The original settlers most probably ate fish and squash, not all of the stuff that has become Tradition.

A man after my own heart. If I have oysters, I'd NEVER put them in stuffing. I'd make oyster stew!:chef:
I'm the same way about oyster stew. If I have fresh oysters, I eat them "as is" or steamed.

I can eat them from the shell with chopsticks almost as fast as I can with a fork.

Why you not feeling good?

Happy Duckey Day!

Thanks. I've been sick for a few weeks and am on another round of antibiotic. Fever and chills all week and now, thanks to the new antibiotic, tummy-crummies. I have missed several days of work. I'm sick of getting sick at holidays....or at all, to be honest. But especially at holidays.

Kathleen said:
Thanks. I've been sick for a few weeks and am on another round of antibiotic. Fever and chills all week and now, thanks to the new antibiotic, tummy-crummies. I have missed several days of work. I'm sick of getting sick at holidays....or at all, to be honest. But especially at holidays.

Yetch. Get well soon, Kathleen!

Thanks for the well-wishes. Time and orange juice. And horrific antibiotic. :sick:

I'm hoping to hear how the other non-turkey meals went. Our duck turned out wonderful though. :yum:

My Thanksgiving Meatloaf was great, perfect porcini flavor, I used a little half and half and an egg for moisture. The porcini gravy I made was started with a blonde roux, porcini powder and beef stock made from marrow bones simmered with onions and celery. Homemade cranberry sauce with half the sugar, perfect sweetness but a little bitter aftertaste. The dressing, made with turkey stock, was the best and very moist. I had green beans with smoked sea salt. The dishes are done and only one meals worth of leftovers.

The original settlers most probably ate fish and squash, not all of the stuff that has become Tradition.

We still have wild turkeys running around Boston and Cambridge. And only 20 minutes up the road there is a herd of wild deer raising havoc on local gardens. Plenty of Canadian Geese fly over every year and make nests where ever there is a pond or golf course. They manage to leave quite a mess no matter where they are. And the tribes in this area grew corn galore. Cranberries have always been on the South Shore where the Pilgrims landed. And there are still plenty of bogs on Cape Cod. So here in the Plimouth Colony country, we could still have a very traditional holiday. We would be just missing Captain Standish, John Alden, Pricilla Mullens, Virginia Dare and Govenor Winthrop. In their place we have all the snobs who claim their ancestors came over on the Mayflower. My ancestors were here to keep their ancestors from starving. :chef:

But the holiday is not really about "eating what the Pilgrims ate", right ? They didn't even have forks in those times. No one uses just a spoon on Thanksgiving !!!

Back
Top Bottom