"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 11-25-2011, 04:51 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by MostlyWater View Post
The original settlers most probably ate fish and squash, not all of the stuff that has become Tradition.
We still have wild turkeys running around Boston and Cambridge. And only 20 minutes up the road there is a herd of wild deer raising havoc on local gardens. Plenty of Canadian Geese fly over every year and make nests where ever there is a pond or golf course. They manage to leave quite a mess no matter where they are. And the tribes in this area grew corn galore. Cranberries have always been on the South Shore where the Pilgrims landed. And there are still plenty of bogs on Cape Cod. So here in the Plimouth Colony country, we could still have a very traditional holiday. We would be just missing Captain Standish, John Alden, Pricilla Mullens, Virginia Dare and Govenor Winthrop. In their place we have all the snobs who claim their ancestors came over on the Mayflower. My ancestors were here to keep their ancestors from starving.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #52
Sous Chef
But the holiday is not really about "eating what the Pilgrims ate", right ? They didn't even have forks in those times. No one uses just a spoon on Thanksgiving !!!

MostlyWater is offline   Reply With Quote