Who is having a non-turkey Thanksgiving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
i'd like to hear from folks whose thanksgiving meal will be anything BUT turkey this year. there will only be the two of us (me and my mom) at home for thanksgiving this year. i need help with ideas of what to serve on the big day--something special, but not necessarily traditional. last year we had roast duckling, always a winner. this year, we'll have our duck around christmas time. i'm thinking about lamb, also about a pork roast, lobster tails, and prime rib. does anyone have a really extra special vegetable dish that you would share here? a vegetable or side dish with a real "wow" factor? since i'm still so undecided one week from thanksgiving, my thought is to try something totally new and different, one really spectacular dish that will go with any main course that i will ultimately choose for our little thanksgiving table....all ideas welcome and appreciated....:question::question::question:

Last edited:
I was going with stuffed pork chops but, then ended up buying a turkey because they were so cheap. I will end up putting most of it in the freezer.

I don't really know any wow vegetables but, a stuffed acorn squash might be good for two people. They can be stuffed with a rice sausage mixture as a main dish or a lighter stuffing as a side dish.

wow, you have more energy than I do LOL

I am doing a honey baked ham simply because it is the oldest resident in the freezer that could be a candidate for the Thanksgiving table. And I usually serve a modest meal. Ham, scalloped potatoes, mash sweet potatoes, green beans and a dessert, probably an apple crisp. Will have 4 singles for dinner; 3 recent widows/widowers and my cousin who is single by choice:)

stuffed pork chops--that just might be the perfect answer for us! homemade bread dressing has always been our favorite part of the "turkey meal". we can stuff two nice butterfly pork chops, and bake a huge batch of dressing on the side (for later), oh yess....

i've never made any winter squash dishes myself, though i like them. that project will be for another, future event....

thanks, bea. just today, i turned away, half-disappointed, from an offer for 39c per lb thanksgiving turkeys. it is always so tempting, but i almost always pass on it. i have to remind myself that neither i nor my mom particularly like turkey, excepting for later-tetrazzini and such, and great turkey 'n stuffing sammies....but it's still difficult, every year, to walk away from that $5.00 turkey the week before thanksgiving!!:(

Last edited:
I have NO idea yet what I am doing, but leaning towards Indian food. . .maybe a nice Lamb roganjosh, some somosas, some nice garlicy flatbreads. . .still up in the air.

We are having a meatloaf, stroganoff style with egg noodles. Steamed broccoli and pumpkin custard. I will also make some dressing, just because we like it.

We are having a meatloaf, stroganoff style with egg noodles. Steamed broccoli and pumpkin custard. I will also make some dressing, just because we like it.

comfort food for thanksgiving, i like that! and a homemade dressing is the way to go too!:) i'm going to buy a package of chicken giblets and hearts and make a bread-based giblet dressing. pf, do you make your own pumpkin custard?

I have no idea what I'll have for Thanksgiving. I won't get a turkey until it's on sale and I have enough room in the freezer for the leftovers at the same time.

I may, however, make up a batch of plain stuffing (butter, celery, onion, white bread, turkey stock, and poultry seasoning). I'd like to get some Bell's seasoning, but haven't found it so far.

I have no idea what I'll have for Thanksgiving. I won't get a turkey until it's on sale and I have enough room in the freezer for the leftovers at the same time.

I may, however, make up a batch of plain stuffing (butter, celery, onion, white bread, turkey stock, and poultry seasoning). I'd like to get some Bell's seasoning, but haven't found it so far.

you have turkey stock, zee? i wish that came in a can or box, ready to buy....:)

I would enjoy preparing a non traditional Thanksgiving dinner. If I were a single man, I would. Mrs Hoot really enjoys the Thanksgiving time of year and she hesitates to stray from tradition. As I love her with all my heart, I have no wish to dampen, in any way, her enjoyment. I must admit that while I, too, enjoy putting together a dinner with all the traditional fixin's, variety is the spice of life.

you have turkey stock, zee? i wish that came in a can or box, ready to buy....:)

Oops, it was chicken broth. I don't usually buy canned broth, but bought this just in hopes of being able to make stuffing (dressing, whatever). If I had seen turkey flavor, that's what I would have bought, but apparently it was only chicken broth.

I did have some home made turkey stock last year when I bought a turkey, but homemade broth and stocks don't last around me. If I've got it, I develop a craving for beans.

If you can find a package of turkey drumsticks or necks, that's the easiest way to make turkey stock (not smoked). I strip the meat off the bones as soon as they are done enough, then add the bones back to the broth and make a stock out of it by cooking it low and slow for a couple more hours.

I'm sure it would be even better after roasting the bones, but it's just too easy to drop the bones (and skin) back in the stock pot after stripping the meat off.

Since my plane leaves at 6 pm, I'll be eating whatever they're serving me on board. ;)

Was thinking of doing a turkey for Christmas, but I have this lovely smoked pork loin in my freezer that really wants to be consumed. So I will figure out something to do with that.

comfort food for thanksgiving, i like that! and a homemade dressing is the way to go too!:) i'm going to buy a package of chicken giblets and hearts and make a bread-based giblet dressing. pf, do you make your own pumpkin custard?

Absolutely, I can use less sugar that way. I forgot to add my whole berry cranberry sauce, I bought 2 bags of fresh and tossed them in the freezer. I will use the bag instructions but double the cranberries and reduce the sugar that way.

I bought 2 drumsticks and a wing for $2, I'm going to roast them first and then turn them into stock for my dressing. I will also have some meat chunks from that for making turkey and gravy over mashed taters for the weekend.

During the holidays you can get canned/boxed turkey broth. I think wither College Inn or Swanson's offers it.

I just saw College Inn Turkey broth in the store yesterday, just in time for the holidays. I also get turkey broth from Trader Joe's in the quart box.

We are having prime rib, homemade pasta and gravy, several appy's one veggie will be either fresh baby artichokes if I can find them or frozen from Trader Joe's. I cook them then season with fresh chopped parsley, chopped garlic, butter and a little evoo salt and pepper homemade rolls with chives, homemade cranberry sauce, my daughter and her dh have asked for some stuffing so I'll do that and we'll have gravy and mashed potatoes Cabbage salad with toasted almonds and Chinese noodles.Pumpkin pie and a lemon cake. several other things What I'm not sure yet. I guess I'd better make up my mind Thanksgiving is fast approaching
kades

Well, I found a 13.7 pound turkey today for 74¢ a pound, ($10.14)! I've got it sitting in the sink still in it's packaging, and will put it in the fridge overnight.

I'll probably not wait until Thursday, unless it takes that long to thaw. Whenever it's ready, I'll roast it, make stuffing, and gravy from the giblets and drippings. I have some canned sweet potatoes that will round out the meal.

I realize this doesn't belong in this thread, but until I went shopping today, I had no plans to have turkey for Thanksgiving.

I would enjoy preparing a non traditional Thanksgiving dinner. If I were a single man, I would. Mrs Hoot really enjoys the Thanksgiving time of year and she hesitates to stray from tradition. As I love her with all my heart, I have no wish to dampen, in any way, her enjoyment. I must admit that while I, too, enjoy putting together a dinner with all the traditional fixin's, variety is the spice of life.

You are a good man, Mr.Hoot.

Back
Top Bottom