"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 06-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Wings for 100

I am researching how to make chicken wings for a church event. I's our annual fund raiser, so "fun" food will be sold throughout the evening. We will also be having a build a potato bar with the wings.

So far I am tempted to par - bake them the week of the event, then deep fry as needed. Should I buy frozen drummies?
I would make a few different sauces to shake them in before serving.

Any suggestions or experiences regarding cooking methods, quantities, sauces or serving would be greatly appreciated.

I'm new to the forum. I hope you will help!

Old 06-28-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
Head Chef

Did I for daughters graduation few years back.
I seasoned them with a mixture of paprika, onion & garlic powder, salt & pepper and a pinch or two of cayenne pepper. I put a little oil in a big bowl coat the wings and then I sprinkle the season on them and I bake them in the oven on parchment paper (easy clean up and less sticking to pan) on sheet pans . They came out crispy and delious. How much seasoning you put on is up to you. I lightly seasoned as to satisfy all. Had blue cheese dressing -a mixture of hot sauce and butter, and a bbq sauce. They were a huge hit. I did about 80 of them as other food also was available.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:46 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

It's dangerous to partially cook chicken. Not all the bacteria will be killed and they could grow to dangerous levels before it's fully cooked, and some pathogens create toxins that can't be destroyed by cooking. Whatever method you decide on, always cook chicken thoroughly.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Got Garlic said it right. Never partially cook chicken. the bacteria in undercooked then reheated chicken multiplies.

Any chance of storing the chicken drummies and wing-ettes in a refrigerator with a spicy dry rub, then pat dry and fry? Toss with a sauce and serve to order? A lot of work for a crowd though. Not to mention the profit will be marginal.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
Master Chef

Yes, par cooking poultry can lead to serious food poisoning.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I've not done chicken wings for 100 but did do them for 30. I just mixed 1/2 and 1/2 flour and taco seasoning (the big jar from Costco), dusted the wings with the mixture, spread them on a release foil covered baking sheets, sprayed them with olive oil and drizzled hot sauce over all and baked them until done. The crowd was Hispanic and said they were great so I repeated the recipe at least 5 times for our "end of the season fiesta". I would do the same for 100 only multiply by 3 or 4. You might do some test batches and let your committee chose a recipe that they like and is easy and profitable.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
Master Chef

Catering companies constantly pre-cook the chicken for big events and finish last 15 minutes right before serving it. Now how "pre-cooked" the chicken is is another story. With wings baking them till just done and then throwing into deep fryer for 2-3 minutes would work perfectly. I would not buy frozen ones though.