Sweet bread (Raisin Bread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
The health conscious people need not read this. :LOL:

1. Sour cream - 1lb
2. Butter – 1lb
3. Eggs – 10
4. Sugar – 4 cups
5. Flour – 4 cups
6. Raisins (craisins, chocolate chips or whatever else you may think of) optional – 2/4 cups
7. Vanilla – about 2 teaspoons
8. Salt – about 2 teaspoons
9. Baking powder – about 2 teaspoons

Beat the eggs :hammer: :boxing: and sugar together until picks, not the hard picks (I use hand mixer).
Add sour cream and butter and mix it again until smooth.
Add flour, salt, baking soda and mix it again.
I always have problem with raisins, :( they always end up on the bottom:cry: . The batter is fairly thin and nothing really helps, except maybe to put them directly into the mold, on the top, but then they may stay on the top and burn:furious: . O well, maybe somebody has a suggestion about this.
Bake at 350, for about an hour. That’s for the big loaf, if you make smaller make sure to check, so not to burn it. :excl:

WOW! This sounds like a raisin bread lovers dream come true. Thanks for posting it Charlie.

As for the raisin thing, have you tried tossing them with a bit of flour? Sometimes if they are coated with flour they will "stick" better in the loaf.

You can split in the half. i use 2-3 foil pans to make a loaf. I keep it in the freerdge. Also it freezes well. Fortunately in my house there is never enough to freeze.

Great rec. Charlie, but seems too big for me to do in my toaster over. I'm waiting on a new stove, so can only do little rec. But I am gonna print it out and save it for later for all of my new dried fruit...maybe try it with alllll of them

Zelda, scale down the recipe. Make like half of it. That is what I ususaly do for family anyway. It also freezes well if you have extra.

Mac, You won't regret it. It is simple to make and very yummy.

Finaly, I got pictures taken.

Attachments

• 1 042.jpg
    1 042.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 425
  • 1 044.jpg
    1 044.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 437
  • 1 043.jpg
    1 043.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 417
This recipe reminds me of the times my brother and I used to race to see who could eat the most raisin bread in one sitting. Being 5 years older, he always won. At least I always lost with a smile on my face :)

Thank you very much for sharing!

Thank you.

I decided that it should be called muffin bread, or simply muffin recipe, because you can use this to make muffins and they are delish.

Also, last time I made this I made quadruple portion of above, ok, I was cooking for about 50-60 people, but it all went. It was for breakfast, I was hopping to have some leftovers, but there was none, and people were asking for more. I made 4 different pans, one with raisins, one with chocolate chips, one plain and one with dried blueberries. I loved the blueberry

I have a question about this recipe. I have couple of pounds of Greek yogurt, that I do not know what to do with. Can I use it in this recipe instead of sour cream?

I have a question about this recipe. I have couple of pounds of Greek yogurt, that I do not know what to do with. Can I use it in this recipe instead of sour cream?

I sub out Greek yogurt for sour cream all the time. In fact, I prefer it. Should work just fine.

Back
Top Bottom