A different fruit crumble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
I made this for dinner tonight, courtesy of a give-away recipe card from a supermarket.:)

300g blackberries
2 large, ripe pears, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
3 tablespoons of muscovado sugar
150g stoneground flour
100g cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
50g fruity style muesli, the one I use has cranberry, cherry and almond

Preheat oven to Gas mk 4/180C. Lightly grease 1 litre shallow ovenproof dish.

Place blackberries and chopped pears in the bottom of the dish and sprinkle the lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Set aside whilst you make the crumble topping.

Place the flour in a bowl, add butter and rub in lightly until the mix resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in remaining sugar and the museli mix. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the fruit and press down lightly.

Place dish on a baking tray and cook for 35-40 mins until the topping is golden brown and the blackberries are just releasing their juices and pears are tender.

Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving with Cornish clotted cream - or the thickest cream you can find wherever you live!

Sounds great Ishbel. Had to google muscavodo sugar, which seems to be a fine brown sugar. Not a huge fan of blackberries because of the seeds, but maybe a blackberry jam would be good, or fresh raspberries which I prefer the flavor over blackberry even with the seeds. The muesli mix that you picked sounds great.

Amber, I think any of the 'softer' summer fruits would work, even gooseberries or blackcurrants.

Berries. Ah, yes, sigh. I remember those.

For you lucky people who have them, my mum makes a wicked blueberries and cream pie. Sound good?

Scrummy recipe, Ishbel. Have you ever tried pin-head oatmeal in your crumble topping? I always get my mum to buy me some from Tebay service station and to post them to me. Scottish oats are just the best. They give the crumble topping a great digestive-biscuity flabour.

Yes, Snoop, I usually add pinhead oatmeal to all sorts of things like crumble toppings or dumplings. Love it - and it's good for you, too:)

Back
Top Bottom