Alix's Apple Crisp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, I make mine by eyeballing so my measurements may be screwy, but here goes my take on it all.

6 apples peeled and sliced as you like (if you want slices use a mandolin for even sizing)
2/3 cup butter softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup oatmeal (any type)
1/2 flour
cinnamon if you like it

Mix sugar, butter, flour and oats together until crumbs are about pea sized. Use a pastry blender or if you are like me, your hands. Mix about 1/3 of the crumb stuff in with the apples. Then dump the rest on top and bake at 350 for about an hour.

I also make this mixed with rhubarb, or just with rhubarb, it is FABULOUS.

Last edited:
I always use Golden Brown sugar just because that is more easily available to me.

Alix you better save some for me or at least send 3 pieces so I get one :-p. :chef: Give your wonderful Family a Hug from us.

Attachments

• Grover Dance.gif
    Grover Dance.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 136
If I know you're coming sweetie I'll make a HUGE one just for you! Hugs back at you my friend!

Yum! DH would love this. I have issues making crisps, they don't crisp. I've never tried mixing some into the fruit, though. I'm going to try this tonight. What type of apples do you prefer or find that work the best?

I prefer Granny's for any kind of baking. And I think that if you want the top to REALLY crisp you need to cheat a bit. Make sure your dish is quite full and near the end stick it under the broiler for a few seconds to carmelize the top a bit. Got to have LOTS of brown sugar and butter in it for that to work well though.

Keep in mind that my recipe is very approximate. You can add more of any ingredient pretty safely!

Thank you Alix for the recipe. I made it last night and it turned out great! It was even crispy!
Thank you!

What's the flour for in the recipe you never said?? Just throw in with the crumb mix? Wanna try this in the next few days, I love apple crisp.

Its in with the crumb mixture yes. And it is to soak up and thicken the apple juices. The juicier your apples, the more oatmeal and flour you should use.

Back
Top Bottom