Apple crisp question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
I'm looking around for a apple crisp recipe to branch off of. I found one that calls for a cup of water poured over the apples (that are tossed in sugar and flour). This seems weird to me. Is it to give the apples a syrupy sauce? I have some apple juice, should I use that instead of water or would it turn out too sweet? Maybe I'll use apple juice but cut the sugar in half? Thanks!

I never use apple juice or water in my crisp recipe. I actually had a craving for it last week and made one on the whim without a recipe but it came out very good.

All I do is peel and slice my apples thinly. I place that in a bowl, mix them with some sugar and cornstarch and cinnamon and lemon juice (1/2 lemon if it's large or a whole lemon) toss them lightly. I then place them in a pyrex dish and make a topping with cereal (I like to use the Great Grains pecan) some melted butter and cinnamon, brown sugar and roughly dabb it on top of the apples and bake for an hour or less until done. I have a convection oven so it crisps up and gets done a bit faster than a traditional oven.

I came out juicy and nice. The apples were tender and I served it with cold vanilla icecream and everyone in my house has multiple helpings.

I'd think that a cup of liquid would make the crisp really watery. An "Uncrisp."

Depending on what type of apples I use and what kind of thickener I use, my apple pies and crisps are a bit drippy without adding any additional liquid.

I have never put water in mine either, but I do make an apple pie with orange juice in it that's good. I just slice up the apples and add lemon juice, brown sugar, cinamon and flour. Then I top them with a mixture of oats, butter, flour, brown sugar, vanilla and walnuts that I mix together until it looks like granola. In the oven at 350 for 30 or 45 minutes.

Most apples gfive off more than enough liquid. I can't imagine adding liquid of any kind! I love a nice, cinnamon-y streusel on top! :)

I remember making apple crisp with Alisha and we didn't add water to the apples. I think our recipe was something like Yakuta's.

jennyema said:
I'd think that a cup of liquid would make the crisp really watery. An "Uncrisp."

Depending on what type of apples I use and what kind of thickener I use, my apple pies and crisps are a bit drippy without adding any additional liquid.
That's what I thought too. I'm using bramleys, they are huge and very tart. The recipe calls for 1 cup water to 10 cups of apples, so it seems like it would just coat the apples and make a sauce. I think. I might do 1/2 cup of aj purely to see what happens.
pdswife said:
Is it sweetend apple juice cora? If so... I'd cut down on the sugar.
It's the Odwalla aj I have.
Yakuta said:
All I do is peel and slice my apples thinly. I place that in a bowl, mix them with some sugar and cornstarch and cinnamon and lemon juice (1/2 lemon if it's large or a whole lemon) toss them lightly. I then place them in a pyrex dish and make a topping with cereal (I like to use the Great Grains pecan) some melted butter and cinnamon, brown sugar and roughly dabb it on top of the apples and bake for an hour or less until done. I have a convection oven so it crisps up and gets done a bit faster than a traditional oven.
I like the cereal idea. Why melted butter? I find I end up with a rock hard topping when I use melted butter. But that was only the one time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom