Apple Crisp w/Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Hi, I received many apple crisp recipes in the past but none that had cheese in the toppping. I remember the one my mother fixed with cheddar cheese in the oatmeal topping. Has anyone heard of this? It was so good. I am not complaining about the ones in the past as I appreciate them all but they did not call for the cheese. Thanks for your time.

Hi In the Kitchen
I searched through a ton of recipies and can't find any specifically for apple crisp with cheese. There are many out there for apple pie with cheese. Other than playing around with an apple crisp recipe to figure out what addition of cheese and +/- of other ingredients would taste right, the following is the only recipe I could find that's somewhat similar to a crisp.

Apple Cheddar Casserole

INGREDIENTS:
1 (12 ounce) package STOUFFER'S® Harvest Apples, defrosted according to package directions
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup crushed round butter-style crackers
3 tablespoons Apple Flavor LIBBY'S® JUICY JUICE® 100% Juice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 1-quart baking dish.
MIX sugar and flour in a small bowl; slowly stir in apple juice. Mix melted butter and cracker crumbs in a separate small bowl.
PLACE apples in prepared baking dish. Layer sugar mixture; cheese and cracker crumb mixture over apples.
BAKE for 20 to 30 minutes, or until hot and top is browned.

I have two recipes, one for a crisp and one for a cobbler. I LOVE the flavor of cheddar and apple together - what an awesome combination!

Apple Cheddar Crisp
Filling:
6 apples (use tart and sweet), peeled, cored, and sliced
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1 ts lemon zest, grated
1/2 ts cinnamon
2 tb water
1 tb lemon juice
Topping:
1/2 c flour
1/2 c oats
1 ts salt
1/2 c sugar
1 c Cheddar, shredded
1/2 c butter, cut into chunks

Preheat oven to 325F
1.Place apple slices in a large bowl. In another bowl combine the sugar, brown sugar, lemon zest, cinnamon, water and lemon juice; mix well.
2.Add sugar mixture to apple slices and mix well. Place apple mixture in a buttered baking dish.
3.In a medium bowl combine flour, oats, sugar, salt, and cheddar. Mix well and then cut in butter unitl mixture is crumbly.
4.Sprinkle topping over apples, patting down slightly.
5. Bake for about 1 hour until the topping is lightly brown and apples are tender. Let stand before serving with fresh whipped cream.

Dandy Apple Cobbler
1 c Sugar
1/4 c Flour
1/4 ts Cinnamon
6 c Apple slices (tart and sweet), peeled
Topping:
1 c Flour
1/4 c Sugar
1 1/2 ts Baking powder
1/2 ts Salt
2 c Cheddar, shredded
1/3 c Butter, melted
1/4 c Milk or cream

Preheat oven to 400F
1.Combine the sugar, flour, and cinnamon; then toss the mixture with the apple slices. Pour into a 9-in square baking pan.
2.Combine the dry ingredients for the topping, including the cheese; mix well.
3.Add the butter and milk, mixing until well blended with the flour mixture.
4.Spoon the dough over the apple mixture, in dollops, and bake for 30 minutes or until cobbler crust is puffed and browned. Allow to stand before serving.

I use a mature cheddar with a little bite. It offers a really nice contrast to the sweet apples. Any cheddar will do though.

Apple Crisp

Hi Kansas and PA thanks for your time and I knew Kansas would know where the cheddar came in. Thanks. I must be really confused because I posted something earlier and thanked you all but it isn't here. I want to be sure to let you know I do appreciate it and thank you. I hope I am not losing my mind! (no comments please) I am very fragile at this point because I do worry about coming to a different board. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom