"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cobblers & Crisps

Old 12-21-2004, 03:56 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I don't bother with that air-extration machine. You could just try to squeeze out as much as as possible, but it's not that important I don't think.

I am unsure about the peaches and nectarines...You are talking about just whacking the whole fruit in the freeze yes? I would be inclined to peeling them, cut in half and destone, then either freeze the halves, or slice them as thinly as you like.

I got some links, alot of them advise covering in sugar and other assorted things. I think if you just lined a metal tray with baking/silicone paper, cut the peaches (or nectarines etc) to desired size, put them on the tray in a single layer (so they dont stick together) and lightly brush with lemon juice then freeze them they should be ok. The only thing is due to the juicy nature of soft fruit you may find it sticks to the paper. After they have frozen just put them in airtight containers or sealable bags.

http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod01/01600394.html
http://www.seasonalchef.com/preserves12.htm
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1923,...247193,00.html

Old 12-21-2004, 05:06 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I didn't realise you were in Oz Haggis, whereabouts??? I am a Tasmanian lost in England!!!!

Nectarines and peaches are best frozen as Haggis suggested, they will want to be cooked on defrosting, as they will be a bit squidgy and unappetising!

We get gorgeous rhubarb here, especially the pink forced rhubarb. Haggis don't moan about the price of berries til you see the prices in England, horrendous! I used to pick my own in Oz, especially raspberries, yum!

Old 12-22-2004, 12:14 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Hi Kyles ...I am from Sydney
Old 12-22-2004, 11:25 PM   #14
Sous Chef

I'm from Sydney as well.

Wow, that was unexpected about the price of berries in the UK! I had always dreamed that they were extremely cheap and twice as delicious as here in Australia. I was thinking that you could buy them straight from a farm or stall alongside the road as I had seen when I was last over there (then again I was 10 years old, and I don't remember a price since it was 10 years ago).

The stories I here from my dad (scottish born) about the berries he had when he was last over just recently.

Well that has certainly scattered my hopes..
Old 12-23-2004, 11:57 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Haggis, we certainly have LOTS of pick your own berry farms.... ditto apples and pears, in season. And they are beautifully flavoured fruits, particularly from Ayrshire and round the Aberdeen area.

However, the cost of food here is astronomical in comparison to Australia. My sister who has lived in Aus for 20 plus years nearly has a heart attack every time we go into my local supermarkets.. Particularly the price of meat! For instance, I buy fresh food most days, but do a big weekly shop at the supermarket, including things like kitchen towels, foil, cleaning products etc... and the weekly shop costs anything from 85 pounds to 115 pounds! And as I say, I shop most days, too..... A reasonably Aussie wine is about 7.99 a bottle (Wolf Blass, for instance) - although you can get some Penfold's for about 4 quid a bottle.... And if you think that the exchange rate is over 2 dollars (almost 3 a while back!) to the pound....

BTW - there are only 2 of us at home - I'm not buying for an army..
Old 12-23-2004, 01:08 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I haven't travelled to Scotland yet, I haven't seen any pick your own berry farms in our travels yet, but we haven't done much driving in high summer in the right areas as yet.

I used to find shopping really hard in England coz I put things into Aussie dollars all the time. I no longer use the supermarket and use local markets as I find it a bit more affordable, and especially traceable, I like to know where my food has come from.

Meat is just phenomenally dear compared to Oz. I eat more pork and poultry than ever before. I still haven't been able to buy lamb chops here, you could buy half a sheep for what they charge for a pound of lamb chops!!!! But I am getting better, I stop converting now.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:06 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Well that has dashed my hopes, was thinking of going and working/living/visiting relo's after Uni, but after hearing that...pass :). Hehe just kidding.

Headed over to the Growers/Produce markets this morning out at Flemington. Many a bargain to be had. Got three massive (I'm talking half a metre long stalks (not counting foliage) each, about 6-7 stalks in each) for AU$1 each.

12 punnets of strawberries (3kg of strawberries) for AU$10.

Tray of 16-20 fairly large mangoes, $5.

Box of cherries AU$10.

Vine-ripened truss roma/plum tomatoes AU$3 a kilo.

Kiwi Fruit, AU$2 a kilo.

Will most definitely be going out there again!!!
Old 12-24-2004, 08:59 AM   #18
Executive Chef

We had my niece staying with us (only as her base between tours round Europe and all over the UK mainland and Ireland) for over a year. She then tried to get a job (she has dual nationality) but found it difficult with her basic degree - so she went home for a year or so to top it up to a Masters, came back and found work and is now living and working on the South Coast of England. She loves it here - but when she's here, she misses 'home' and her family - when she's 'home' she misses the UK.... I think she's destined to be less than 100 per cent content, whichever side of the world she's living in.... :D

She's going home jsut after Christmas, and is seriously thinking that she needs to make the final decision about 'there' or 'here' as a permanent base...

You should come over and inflict yourself on your rellies! You'll probably only have the one chance to be fancy-free and able to travel where you like! Go for it! :D

Tags
None