"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cobblers & Crisps

Old 12-19-2004, 10:14 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Apple Crumble

anybody got any good apple crumble recipes? went out to dinner saturday night and had best apple crumble ever....apple slices were in layers and not pre cooked so that they werent over cooked mmmmmmmmm

Old 12-20-2004, 04:11 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Mmmm Apple Crumble, absolutely delicious. There is only one way you can improve on that, Apple and Rhubarb Crumble, oh yeah! :).

Damn summer sometimes does have its downfalls, hot comfort food is not as inviting, even though it can be served cold, having the oven on isn't attractive.

Will post recipe later when I find it.

Old 12-20-2004, 04:48 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

thanx haggis. you are right apple and rhubarb is certainly the way to go...dont have any growing at the moment (rhubarb that is) :(
Old 12-20-2004, 06:49 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I use a crumble topping on lots of fruits - plums, apples, rhubarb, apricot etc...

Crumble mix
10 oz plain flour, sieved pinch of salt
6oz unrefined brown sugar
7oz unsalted butter, cubed at room temperature
Knob of butter for greasing

1lb apples, peeled, cored and sliced
2oz unrefined brown sugar
1 tbsp plain flour
1 pinch of ground cinnamon

Mix the last three ingredients together.

Preheat the oven to 350F/Gas 4.

Place the flour and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Taking a few cubes of butter at a time rub into the flour mixture. Keep rubbing until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.

Place the fruit in a large bowl and sprinkle with the sugar/flour/cinnamon mix. Gently mix so that the fruit is coated.

Butter a 9in ovenproof dish. Spoon the fruit mixture into the bottom, then sprinkle the crumble mixture on top.

Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the crumble is browned.

Serve with thick cream or custard.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:13 AM   #5
Sous Chef

I think the best kind of crumble mix is with oats in it, it just goes nice and crunchy and...well...crumbly :P. And perhaps some shredded/dessicated coconut.

I know how you feel about the availability of rhubarb Dolphinesque. In winter its like AU$5 a bunch, which is when you want it most. So in the summer when its really dirt cheap, I wash the stalks, dry them thouroughly cut them into 2.5cm/1 inch bits then freeze them in a single layer on a tray then put them into freezer bags or sealable containers. Works great!

This one is interesting, the passionfruit and rhubarb go well together even though it isn't a regular pairing of flavours. I prefer to stew my fruit a bit before baking to make it go that little bit extra soft, but there are those that prefer a bit of fruity crunch still. To each their own.

Rhubarb and Passionfruit Crumbles
---------------------------------

6 stalks rhubarb, chopped
1/3 cup passionfruit pulp
250g strawberries, hulled and halved
1/4 cup caster sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup plain flour
90g butter, softened
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 160'C. Combine rhubarb, passionfruit, strawberries and sugar in a bowl and divide between 6x1cup capacity ramekins or one large dish.

To make the topping combine brown sugar, oats, flour, butter and cinnamon. Spoon topping on to the top of the fruit and bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden and the fruit is soft.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:48 PM   #6
Senior Cook

What a coincidence! I just made apple crumble yesterday for the first time in eons.

I googled for a recipe. For the topping: it was approximately one cup each of butter, flour and sugar. A pinch of soda and salt. I added a handfull of granola for some crunch.

The apples were peeled, cored and sliced. I then mixed it with a mixture of brown sugar, white sugar and cinnamon. I changed the recipe as I wanted more brown sugar than white and lots more cinnamon.

Grease oven dish. put apples in. cover with topping. I put it on in spoonfuls. It was pretty stiff. Cook for 55 minutes, approx.

the family loved it and it was all gone within the hour.

Pam
Old 12-20-2004, 03:29 PM   #7
Everymom

OK, I make mine by eyeballing so my measurements may be screwy, but here goes my take on it all.

6 apples peeled and sliced as you like (if you want slices use a mandolin for even sizing)
2/3 cup butter softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup oatmeal (any type)
1/2 flour
cinnamon if you like it

Mix sugar, butter and oats together until crumbs are about pea sized. Use a pastry blender or if you are like me, your hands. Mix about 1/3 of the crumb stuff in with the apples. Then dump the rest on top and bake at 350 for about an hour.

I also make this mixed with rhubarb, or just with rhubarb, it is FABULOUS.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:55 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

thanx guys...really appreciate all your help. Never thought of freezing rhubarb, Haggis. You guys come up with the best ideas :)
Old 12-21-2004, 05:49 AM   #9
Sous Chef

It freezes really well due to the relatively low moisture content, and stores for about a year, possibly more.

This summer I have been freezing a lot of seasonal fruit. Managed to pick up a box of 20-odd mangoes for AU$4. There was no way only my dad and I could eat all of them since the rest of the family was away. I peeled them, cut the cheeks off and freezed them in bags, then I got the rest of the flesh off the seed, pureed it with a little water then froze them in ice-cube trays. Great for popping a couple into a blender for a frappe, smoothy or lassi.

Also started freezing berries when I saw them going cheap (which isn't saying much in Australia, everything but strawberries are so ridiculously expensive). This way I have a nice little stockpile for Christmas and Boxing Day without having to pay the increased prices stores have just before Christmas. Some people turn their noses up at frozen fruit, expecting a gooey mass but that is only due to the fact that a) alot of companies pre-cook the fruit before they freeze them and b) miss handling squashes them prior to freezing.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:43 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

you are so resourseful Haggis...can you freeze peaches and nectarines by just putting them in the freezer.I was wondering if I need to buy one of those thingys to extract the air from the bags?????????

Tags
None