Apple dumplings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
APPLE DUMPLINGS

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups sifted flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup milk
6 apples, peeled and cored
sugar, butter and cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup butter
1 1/3 cups hot water
dash of cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
PREPARATION:
Core each apple and slice in half, top to bottom (this ensures apples will bake through).

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening.
Add milk; stir to form soft dough.
On a lightly floured board, knead to shape then roll out to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 6 squares, about 6 to 7-inches each. Place an apple on each square. Top each apple with a little sugar, a dab of butter and a generous sprinkling of cinnamon. Bring dough up to cover apple and pinch edges to seal. Place in greased pan.
Combine brown sugar, butter, hot water, nutmeg and cinnamon; pour over dumplings.
Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and bake until done, about 30 minutes.

img_976128_0_6e450f0b6569680676492e57c0b85d99.jpg

img_976128_1_67cb630dff2902479596f1b2b9bfefa6.jpg

img_976128_2_e5191f7e01dee64b9a2e142cfd032eac.jpg

Trim mate, your killing me I have 5 weeks to go on my diet plan:(
Do you have the Bramley Baking apple in the US?

I've never come across it......... our "Go To" baking apple is the Granny Smith ..........
I would not use the Bramley for your dish because they "fall" but for double crust pies and apple sauce they are beyond compare.:)

Since those lucious looking things are in a large part fruit do you suppose I can get away with eating them because they are so healthy? Please, please.

It is much easier than waiting until after to peel them. :ROFLMAO:

:rolleyes: I MEANT...is it necessary to peel them? Would they cook well with skin on or would it impact the baking time etc. I normally make apple blossoms with the skin on.

:rolleyes: I MEANT...is it necessary to peel them? Would they cook well with skin on or would it impact the baking time etc. I normally make apple blossoms with the skin on.

Most likely a personal preference. I peel mine because the Ogre I live with wants them that way.

I've had them both ways, peeled, and unpeeled. Both are great tasting. But the cooked peel, as expected, makes them slightly more difficult to eat.

For a surprise treat, half and core the apple. Place a caramel into the hollowed out core and press the apple halves back together. Follow your remaining instructions and bake. You can also place something like brown sugar, mixed with butter into the hollow, or maple sugar. I wouldn't put liverwurst in though. It'd ruin the sausage. I might put a jalapeno slice in though.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hmmm, which one of you want to try my apple dumplings. Muhuahahaha

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
I've had them both ways, peeled, and unpeeled. Both are great tasting. But the cooked peel, as expected, makes them slightly more difficult to eat.

For a surprise treat, half and core the apple. Place a caramel into the hollowed out core and press the apple halves back together. Follow your remaining instructions and bake. You can also place something like brown sugar, mixed with butter into the hollow, or maple sugar. I wouldn't put liverwurst in though. It'd ruin the sausage. I might put a jalapeno slice in though.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tuna is my favorite "surprise."

I will give it a bash GW if you try my spamleys (spam stuffed bramleys) I cut a ring around them or they explodepadeswood 169.jpg

I've had them both ways, but I prefer them peeled. Certain types of apples, when the skin is baked, turns leather-like and it takes a steak knife to slice it apart. I like fork tender instead and will fore-go the health benefits of the skin.

Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

I am a baked apple fan, apple pie aficionada ( keen on ) ... Shall add these to the List ... Maybe, if the apples over here are decent, for Labor Day, and if not, I like Asturian, Spanish Apples called: Reinetas, which are good baking apples, as they are not sweet ... and I like to combine several types of apple, in a pie ...

Thanks for posting,
Have lovely day, Ciao,
Margi.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom