Autumn Apple Clafouti Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anne

Senior Cook
Autumn Apple Clafouti

AUTUMN APPLE CLAFOUTI

This popover is a great dessert to fix for family or guests. It's one of those rustic, "down home" desserts that always tastes good when served warm. You can pop it into the oven when you serve dinner. Just remember to lower the oven temperature halfway through baking. I use Granny Smith apples, but you can use Golden Delicious or a combination of the two. Neither kind turns mushy from the heat.

Makes 6-8 servings.

2 apples (8 oz. each), peeled, cored and cut into 1/4" slices
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

2 eggs
1 cup milk at room temperature
1 tablespoon melted butter or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a large skillet, cook the apple slices in butter, then stir in the sugar and cinnamon. Saute until the slices are tender but not too soft, about 9-10 minutes. Add the lemon juice and stir in. Arrange mixture in a pie dish, and allow it to cool for 20-30 minutes before making the batter.

Make sure you have an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Then preheat the oven to 425F.

Place all of the batter ingredients into a blender or a food processor. Whirl for about 40 seconds. With a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the blended once or twice, making sure to blend until the the mixture is smooth. (If you're making this by hand, whisk together the ingredients until smooth and until they're about the consistency of thick cream.)

Pour the batter over the top of the pie dish. Bake for 20 minutes; then lower the oven temperature to 350F and continue to bake until the top of the popover is golden brown and firm, about 20 minutes more. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR UNTIL POPOVER IS BAKED OR THE POPOVER WILL COLLAPSE.

Place confectioner's sugar in a sieve and sprinkle over the top of thepopover. Cut into individual wedges and serve hot.

Last edited by a moderator:
apple popover thing

Anne, that sounds super. I have bags of apples in the freezer--now I have something new to do with them. I love any kind of popove. Thank you
graysmoke in pacific northwest

I have a question about "clafouti". I made one yesterday with purple plums. It was so deelish!...my question is....After it's made, could it be frozen? Thanks in advance for your answers

I doubt if the quality would be the same after it was frozen. Popovers are usually eaten right away.

Yummy! I'm making this for dessert tonight. Isn't it wonderful when you have all the ingredients on hand? I happen to have everything you listed. Yey! Thank you Anne.

I think this sounds really good. I've only made popovers once. I'm going to try it this week. Do you serve ice cream with it.

It sounds similar to a German Apple Pancake I used to make years ago and lost the recipe. So, thank you!!! I don't think it's something I would try freezing. I say eat it and enjoy it until it's all gone. :)

I've never made a clafouti before, but this sounds like something we'd love. My neighbour just dropped off a box of apples, so it's on the menu this week. Thanks for sharing the recipe.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom