Blanching peaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
Do fresh peaches have to be blanched before they are used in cobblers, coffee cakes? what about pies?

I don't know what others do but, I don't blanch when I use them in cobblers and pies.. For cakes, I blend them and reduce them to a jam like consistency, on the stove, so as to lower the moisture content before adding to the batter.. I do that with other fruits when I want to give the batter additional flavors..

Ross

We just cut an "X" in the stem end and put them in boiling water for 30 seconds or so to peel the skin. They go right into iced water after the boiling water. I don't like skins in my peach dishes.

I don't mind the skins much, but I can't imagine making jam or chutney and leaving the skins on. I think the skins would interfere with absorption of sugar and/or flavours.

So is a cobbler the same as a crumble, I make an apple crumble, melted butter with shortbread on top of cooked apples. My sons favourite. Sounds very similar.

Russ

Do fresh peaches have to be blanched before they are used in cobblers, coffee cakes? what about pies?
It depends on your personal taste.

When I had a summer job as cook in an elderly people's home between leaving college and starting teaching, I had to blanch and peel 10 pounds (weight) of peaches twice a week for the old dears' peach pie (their favourite).

In and between swearing at the peaches I vowed I'd never peel one again.

So is a cobbler the same as a crumble, I make an apple crumble, melted butter with shortbread on top of cooked apples. My sons favourite. Sounds very similar.

Russ
Not sure about the USA but in UK a cobbler is a fruit (or savoury) dish with sweet or savoury scones cut in rounds and laid round the edge of the dish on top of the fruit or savoury base (or all over) and baked. The underneath of the scones soak up the liquid.

(In the USA scones = biscuits. In the UK biscuits are something completely different! "Two nations divided by a common language" )

Haven't had a fruit cobbler in years. Thanks for reminding me

Thank you all! It seems that the peaches must be peeled, and that blanching makes it easier :( One other question...I am thinking of crushing the peaches - not puree but in small chunks to make it easier to get a more uniform spread and maybe make cooking time a little shorter. Any thoughts? What about making an applesauce cake with pureed peaches (peach sauce)? Convenience is important because I will be making 8 batches of the stuff.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom