Bread Pudding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
[FONT=&quot]
Bread Pudding [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Serves 12

1 loaf French bread (1 1/2 feet long) [1 pound]
1 quart milk
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup raisins
3 tablespoons butter

In a large bowl, break bread into bite-size pieces. Cover with
milk and soak for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Mix
well. Add eggs and sugar. Stir in vanilla, cinnamon and raisins.
Melt butter in a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking dish, tilting to coat
all sides. Pour in the pudding and bake 1 hour.

Bourbon Sauce:
1 stick [1/2 cup] butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup bourbon

In top of a double boiler, melt butter and sugar. Gradually
whisk in egg [and cook until mixture thickens]. Cool slightly.
Add bourbon. If serving right away, pour warm sauce over
pudding. If not, warm sauce slightly before serving and serve in
a sauce boat.

if you prefer an
alcohol-free sauce: (pictured)

Old Fashioned Lemon Sauce:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 large egg, beaten
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Grated zest of 1 lemon
Combine all ingredients in a medium non-reactive saucepan. Cook
over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a
boil.

img_975457_0_15a840fa5b1cbf446518b254995ebdb1.jpg

img_975457_1_5dba725178f935c96444fec75bf01dda.jpg

img_975457_2_ad26d160d5273eed1148bcbe1fb264f2.jpg

img_975457_3_e82959feb7f30e7d9bc3c77929683559.jpg

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Trim I have been on a 1200 diet for 5 wks all I can say is "get behind me satan";)
Ps I can taste what its like with two bolas of vanila icecream nestling and gently melting next to 1/2lbs of your sadistic creation.
PPs I forgot to add, dusted with little drifts of icing sugar, or what about to blobs of Cornish Clotted Cream or maybe....................life is so hard!

I found a bunch of heels of bread in my fridge, so I decided it was time to try this recipe.

I weighed my heels and only had 300 grams (2/3 of a pound), so I cut all the ingredients to 2/3. I used whole multigrain bread. It still turned out fabulous.

I ran short of white sugar for the lemon sauce (I made the full amount) so it was 1/3 cup white and 2/3 cup brown sugar. I found the sauce to be too sweet, but really tasty. Then I noticed that I had forgotten to add a beaten egg. D'oh! :doh:

I let the sauce cool off, added a beaten egg, and reheated to boiling with constant stirring. So, of course, I had to have another serving to test the repaired lemon sauce. :pig: Now it isn't too sweet.

So, LT, you've made it your life's work to sabotage every diabetic on the planet? That looks so perfect.Great job.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Did you notice that it came out great with whole grain bread? See, that's healthy. :LOL:

Couldn't you just use Splenda? The sauce isn't necessary for a great dessert. Adding the sauce is just delightfully decadent.

I love bread pudding, but I prefer mine really moist. This looks like a good recipe, but I'll be cutting the bread down by about 1/3rd. A big scoop of French vanilla ice cream on top of a hot bowl of it, and I'm all set.:mrgreen:

We are making this right now for our Mexican party tomorrow.I am doubling the bourbon sauce though!
I almost tried a tequila sauce but I love bourbon.
I am using Woodford Reserve!

Thanks!

Did you notice that it came out great with whole grain bread? See, that's healthy. :LOL:

Couldn't you just use Splenda? The sauce isn't necessary for a great dessert. Adding the sauce is just delightfully decadent.

Yeh, I can make it healthy, and taste great. It's just that picture! What a wonderful looking desert, with sauce. And the raisins, well, I'm sure I could substitute with blueberries. Raisins aren't the best for me, though I love their flavor and texture.

And one more thing, thank you for steering me back to the right road.:)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the north

Back
Top Bottom