Bread Pudding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JC I went on line looking at about 10 different bread pudding recipes. Of course none of them were for just two folks, but the one thing I noticed that changed in a lot of the recipes, was the number of eggs. One recipe even added just an egg yolk along with the regular number of eggs. Since eggs are what makes it custardy, you might want to give it a try. Add an extra egg yolk while cutting back on the amount of bread. And also as previously stated, let the egg mixture soak in first.

Thank you Addie... :)

That just might make a big difference.. I will add another yolk... Fun experiments...

Ross

I've posted about desserts for two, my newest fun things to bake.. One of our faves is bread pudding for two.. Simple and good eats..
I need some wisdom from DC bakers.. I love custards and custardly desserts.. We really enjoy the simple recipe I use but... The finished product just seems to fall short in the custard department.. I think I may need help with proportions of the ingredients..

Update...

I draw wisdom from y'all..

I made some adjustments:

GG...Let the bread soak..
Kayelle... Use less bread more custard..
Addie... Extra egg yolk..

I did the above and got the custardly bread pudding I was striving for..

Thank you all... :yum:

Ross

Update...

I made some adjustments:

Ross

Glad it was a success. As I so often tell our new members, "have a question, we have an answer. Plenty of answers. Because everyone will chime in with a solution."

Bread pudding, if you think about it, is much like french toast, but made into a pudding. To get more of the custard texture, inn my opinion, you would be best served by making a flavored custard, or even pastry cream to pour over the completed pudding. The other sauce ideas would work as well. The key is that the smooth custard contrasts with the firm and moist pudding, with flavors that compliment each other. That should get you what you desire.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Sorry that I didn't read all of the threads before posting. I am so very glad that the other suggestions gave you the result you were looking for. And though I haven't said this often enough, to all of you who helped Ross, you rock.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

Sorry that I didn't read all of the threads before posting. I am so very glad that the other suggestions gave you the result you were looking for. And though I haven't said this often enough, to all of you who helped Ross, you rock.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

I totally agree...

Just as a bit of background...
I have found many great recipes for bread pudding and other desserts we like.. Where I get confused is in finding or reducing recipes into small batch recipes.. The recipe for bread pudding which this is about is good but, not quite as we wanted... Thus asking this great group to look it over and suggest tweaks... I was not disappointed..
Little by little I am gathering simple, delicious desserts for two... :)

Ross

Update...

I made some adjustments:

Ross
:cool: Glad it worked out for you [emoji2]

Thanks so much for the report of your changes Ross. It's always fun to learn together. I'm curious if you tried one of the sauces? I keep thinking of that topping of soft cream cheese mixed with maple syrup. Come to think of it, I have some Maple Crown Royal that would work perfectly.
Right now this low carb way of life is killing me.:glare:;)

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the report of your changes Ross. It's always fun to learn together. I'm curious if you tried one of the sauces? I keep thinking of that topping of soft cream cheese mixed with maple syrup. Come to think of it, I have some Maple Crown Royal that would work perfectly.
Right now this low carb way of life is killing me.:glare:;)

I forgot, in my update, to mention using a sauce... My goal was to get the custard figured out and, with all the help here, I've achieved that..
I do want to add a sauce soon.. Some good ideas for sauces too... :)

Ross

I love the idea of the cream cheese with maple syrup.

Kayelle, is there a recipe for it? It sounds heavenly.

Addie, I gave you the recipe on post #21.
It's simply softened cream cheese mixed with maple syrup...that's it.

If I were doing it, I'd use some powdered sugar with the cream cheese and add Maple Crown Royal but I know you don't touch alcohol.
https://www.crownroyal.com/canadian-whisky/crown-royal-maple/

Thank you Kayelle. I am going to be making bread pudding for my daughter next week. I have never made a sauce to go with it, but the maple syrup is what caught my eye. Also I have a family that is in love with cream cheese. Two winners for her.

An easy emergency shelf sauce is Smucker's Butterscotch heated in the microwave for a few seconds.

54efa6669f6ce5a86f99409de38f22f8.500

You could also use a cornstarch based lemon, rum, bourbon, nutmeg, cinnamon or vanilla flavored sauce. Mix 1 cup of granulated sugar with 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 teaspoon nutmeg or cinnamon in a small sauce pan, place the pan over medium heat and add 2 cups of boiling water, stir until the mixture begins to boil and becomes clear, remove from the heat, add a teaspoon of vanilla extract and a tablespoon of cold butter, stir until the butter is melted and serve. If the sauce it too thick add a little more hot water. If you are making lemon sauce omit the spice and the vanilla, add the juice and zest of one lemon. For bourbon or rum sauce omit the spice and add a shot of liquor when you add the vanilla and butter.

Good luck!

I've kept a jar of Smuckers Butterscotch in my fridge for more years than I can remember.. Love it on ice cream... Jeannie doesn't care for it so its mine...all mine... ;)

hmmm....wonder if I can mix some bourbon into it?... :cool:

Ross

It's best to do it by eye ball. Your recipe sounds right - it should come out like a baked custard, a bit more on the dry side than the moist side. Try doing it with panettone - it's spectacular, and you could also put a few amaretti as well. Not exactly British. When it's done, it shouldn't have residual liquids, but still be fairly moist. My Grandma used to make it with stale bread sliced, buttered, sugared and scattered with sultanas in bitween the layers. You don't have to do that with panettone because the flavours are already there. Base it on the maxim that, when you've got your slices in the dish, the egg mixture should just come over the top, just a tad, no more. Once you've got the hang of it, it'll be very easy to do.

Good luck!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Ross, I threw my low carb restrictions to the wind last night and prepared your recipe for the two of us. My changes are in red.

Here is the recipe I have been using:
Bread Pudding For Two
adapted from: Bread Pudding For Two Recipe | Taste of Home
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min.MAKES: 2 servings
Ingredients
1-1/2 cups day-old buttered bread cubes (2 slices) I used panettone because it needed using.
2 eggs + one yolk
1 cup milk I used 1 1/4 cup of light cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup sugar I used brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Dash salt
Divide bread between two greased 8-oz. baking dishes; set aside.
In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
Pour over bread. I covered the casseroles with plastic wrap and refrigerated for 1 hr. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
Cool slightly. Serve warm. Yield: 2 servings.
I thought the texture was perfect and delicious. The mouth feel was wonderful.

Addie, I gave you the recipe on post #21.
It's simply softened cream cheese mixed with maple syrup...that's it.

If I were doing it, I'd use some powdered sugar with the cream cheese and add Maple Crown Royal but I know you don't touch alcohol.
https://www.crownroyal.com/canadian-whisky/crown-royal-maple/

I made both versions of the above sauces. Both were very good, but we preferred the one with Maple Crown Royal.

I loved the idea of this being a recipe for two Ross. It was a real treat for me, and I can't pick at leftovers. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom