Cobbler, crisps, brown betty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I am a bit confused on these. I looked them up on wiki, but they seem about the same..

My job for thanksgiving is "bring apple pie". but my weird brother only eats all the apple filling and always leaves the crust.

so I'm thinking a large cobbler sort of thing with max filling and a light top.

would a bottom of puff pastrie with filling and a puff pastry top work? like a giant apple turnover?

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

I make a Swiss apple pie that's crustless. Let me know if you're interested.

Lots of different names for similar desserts. According to Wikipedia:

"In the United States, varieties of cobbler include the Betty, the Grump, the Slump, the Dump, the Buckle, and the Sonker. The Crisp or Crumble differ from the cobbler in that their top layers are generally made with oatmeal.[2] Grunts, Pandowdy, and Slumps are New England and Canadian Maritimes varieties of cobbler, typically cooked on the stove-top or cooked in an iron skillet or pan with the dough on top in the shape of dumplings—they reportedly take their name from the grunting sound they make while cooking."

I dunno, To me they all sound like wrestling moves. :LOL:

Last edited:
I am a bit confused on these. I looked them up on wiki, but they seem about the same..

My job for thanksgiving is "bring apple pie". but my weird brother only eats all the apple filling and always leaves the crust.

so I'm thinking a large cobbler sort of thing with max filling and a light top.

would a bottom of puff pastrie with filling and a puff pastry top work? like a giant apple turnover?

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

It sounds like a good idea to me. He may just be willing to try the puff pastry. I would make it in a 9x13 Pyrex dish and bake it. That way it can be cut into squares easily. :angel:

...My job for thanksgiving is "bring apple pie". but my weird brother only eats all the apple filling and always leaves the crust.

so I'm thinking a large cobbler sort of thing with max filling and a light top...

I assume there will be more people at Thanksgiving dinner than your brother. If so, I'd make a regular apple pie and let your brother eat around the crust.

I'm getting to be an expert at fussy eaters. One daughter won't eat a fruit pie (or anything with cooked fruit). I still make apple pie for Thanksgiving. I also make a dessert she will enjoy. Besides, Thanksgiving dinner requires more than one dessert.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom