"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cobblers & Crisps

Old 01-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #11
Certified Cake Maniac

Andy and Sierra,
My grandmother's recipe I mentioned eariler didn't use melted butter - you thinly slice hard butter or margerine and dot it generously over the whole top. I find this works really well to distribute it better. Some of the areas of cake mix might not "look" cooked, but they are.

This thread actually encouraged me to include dump cake as a dessert for a youth retreat I am cooking at next month!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
...Some of the areas of cake mix might not "look" cooked, but they are...
When I said there were areas that were not cooked, I meant there were areas where the cake mix powder had not been moistened by any liquid and remained in its original dry powdery form just like when it came out of the box. Very unappetizing.

Even if I used thin slices of butter, it seems I'd have to cover the entire surface with butter to ensure the outcome.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #13
Master Chef

Andy, I looked at several recipes on Google, and I noticed they all included the juice from the fruit. You didn't drain yours, did you?
Old 01-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
Andy, I looked at several recipes on Google, and I noticed they all included the juice from the fruit. You didn't drain yours, did you?
I didn't drain them. I used cherry pie filling which is in a fairly thick syrupy liquid.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #15
Master Chef

I just noticed that several recipes called for TWO sticks of butter, instead of one. That would certainly make a difference. I also found a recipe for a scratch dump cake, which would be kinder to my diabetes because I could use Splenda and whole wheat flour.
Cooks.com - Recipe - Dump Cake

Still, it's great to have the recipe for the one that uses the mix, for when I need a dessert in a hurry!
Old 01-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #16
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
When I said there were areas that were not cooked, I meant there were areas where the cake mix powder had not been moistened by any liquid and remained in its original dry powdery form just like when it came out of the box. Very unappetizing.

Even if I used thin slices of butter, it seems I'd have to cover the entire surface with butter to ensure the outcome.
Hmmmm, I have been making this dessert since I was 8 and have never come across that at all.

I think Constance might have a point here about the liquid. I use cherry pie filling AND crushed pineapple and include the liquid from the pineapple and have no problems.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Hmmmm, I have been making this dessert since I was 8 and have never come across that at all.

I think Constance might have a point here about the liquid. I use cherry pie filling AND crushed pineapple and include the liquid from the pineapple and have no problems.
I followed Goodweed's recipe for two cans of filling (both cherry), a cake mix, a stick of butter and nuts. Nothing drained off and everything as evenly distributed as I could manage.

Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I think i'll leave the baking to SO.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:36 PM   #18
Certified Cake Maniac

Here's my recipe which seems to be very different from most as it combines fruit and pie filling. It is not because I think it is the best, I just thought I would share what as worked for me.

Dump Cake
2 14 oz cans crushed pineapple (don't drain)
1 can cherry pie filling
1 cake mix (yellow or white)
1/4 cup hard margarine
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Grease 9x13x2 pan. Dump pineapple over entire bottom, then pie filling on top. Sprinkle cake mix over fruit. Slice margarine thinly and place evenly over top of the cake mix and top with nuts. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees F. Serve warm or cold with whipped or ice cream.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:31 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I have been making this recipe for probably 30 years, and have given the directions to many, many people, my kids make this a lot also.
1 undrained can crushed pineapple
1 undrained can fruit pie filling (cherry, blueberry etc.)
1 cake mix, (we usually use yellow)
1 stick cold butter, cut into pieces and distributed over the top
Nuts if desired
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Yummm, think I will make one tomorrow!

Tags
None